Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Wait a minute,do you really think if sevco didn't fly the butchers apron and didn't have orange tops that would help?

It would help with severeng the perceived association between the club and Protestantism.   It would help in turn with marginalising sectarianism.

So, yes.  As part of a concerted effort to dismantle divisive elements, it would help.

31 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Wait a minute,do you really think if sevco didn't fly the butchers apron and didn't have orange tops that would help?

The thing about orange tops is that it was instigated by fans. Year on year even after liquidation of the old club the key question at any AGM was 'when is the club getting Orange tops'.  It wasnt because they like the colour! Sure enough they bend and have Orange tops (in honour of their Dutch players...I am supposed to believe this).  And so it goes, on and on.  They have reduced wearing a football strip to a statement of religious bigotry for a serious hard core (I refuse to call it a minority). So, yeah not doing it doesnt stop them but it clearly frustrates the f**k out of them. What did the club do...

21 minutes ago, stressball said:

Quite the facade to keep up for what appears to be 8 months at the least from what others have said.

Quite indeed, but we’ve already seen Craineybhoy (or something like that?) going private then deleting their account after making a balls-up and being outed as the person behind some ‘Rangers fan’ account that was top-to-bottom racist posts.

7 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The thing about orange tops is that it was instigated by fans. Year on year even after liquidation of the old club the key question at any AGM was 'when is the club getting Orange tops'.  It wasnt because they like the colour! Sure enough they bend and have Orange tops (in honour of their Dutch players...I am supposed to believe this).  And so it goes, on and on.  They have reduced wearing a football strip to a statement of religious bigotry for a serious hard core (I refuse to call it a minority). So, yeah not doing it doesnt stop them but it clearly frustrates the f**k out of them. What did the club do...

The wearing of Orange by fans at the 2000 Cup final was supposedly in honour of the Dutch players.  The emergence of the Orange away kit came a little later and I don't think there was much pretence that it was anything other than a commercial decision because they knew the colour would be popular with fans.

Why don't they do a green top to honour their Irish players?

1 minute ago, Romeo said:
12 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Why don't they do a green top to honour their Irish players?

🤣  I think that brings us back to some of them thinking Kentucky Blue grass meant the pitch would turn blue instead of green 🤣 

There is a serious population of fans in that stadium that just hate. Pure and simple. Just hate. 

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It would help with severeng the perceived association between the club and Protestantism.   It would help in turn with marginalising sectarianism.

So, yes.  As part of a concerted effort to dismantle divisive elements, it would help.

Monkey I think it would make you feel better but it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to the rangers support.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Monkey I think it would make you feel better but it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to the rangers support.

I think an announcement that the club would no longer be carrying such symbols would spark a huge response from lots of their fans.

Don't you, seriously?

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think an announcement that the club would no longer be carrying such symbols would spark a huge response from lots of their fans.

Don't you, seriously?

You would need to do it across Scottish football you can't single one club out,Banning a flag won't stop it and how would you go about banning a colour?
It's absolutely ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You would need to do it across Scottish football you can't single one club out,Banning a flag won't stop it and how would you go about banning a colour?
It's absolutely ridiculous.  

Nobody is talking about a ban, but you.

I'm suggesting that the club make particular decisions about direction.  

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The wearing of Orange by fans at the 2000 Cup final was supposedly in honour of the Dutch players.  The emergence of the Orange away kit came a little later and I don't think there was much pretence that it was anything other than a commercial decision because they knew the colour would be popular with fans.

This is one of those ‘your half right’ type things. Whilst there’s no point denying the staunch element were delighted by the orange shirt and what the colours mean, there were as much if not more who didn’t give a hoot about the Orange  Order or anything religious, but were absolutely delighted at the outrage and seethe it brought out in the green & greys.

7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

This is one of those ‘your half right’ type things. Whilst there’s no point denying the staunch element were delighted by the orange shirt and what the colours mean, there were as much if not more who didn’t give a hoot about the Orange  Order or anything religious, but were absolutely delighted at the outrage and seethe it brought out in the green & greys.

That's not much of a defence of the decision.

I'm no Celtic fan, but I think it's pretty disgusting that this route has been taken.

Sectarianism as banter eh?  What are you guys like?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

"I'm not racist. I'm just burning this cross and wearing this cone-shaped white headdress to enjoy the outrage it provokes."

Edited by Mr Heliums

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Which would lead to things being phased out but never gone.

Correct Willy.  The colour Orange would still exist.

Take oranges for example.  They'd probably continue to be chiefly Orange in colour.

I've clearly not thought this through as thoroughly as your very fine self.