Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Halkett is shite and made to look better than he was due to Livingston.

He had a whole team around him built to defend, while he was giving the priority in terms of playing the ball forward from the back. So he comes out looking like a defensively sound ball playing CB.

Aye, he benefited from Livi's system. He hasn't looked anything close to that player at Hearts.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Halkett is shite and made to look better than he was due to Livingston.

He had a whole team around him built to defend, while he was giving the priority in terms of playing the ball forward from the back. So he comes out looking like a defensively sound ball playing CB.

Yes.

The point I'm making is for all the minutes Edmundson has played they'd have been as well have signed a decent centre half from Scotland at the end of contract.

Remember they're running a club that's not financially sustainable without continued investment.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes.

The point I'm making is for all the minutes Edmundson has played they'd have been as well have signed a decent centre half from Scotland at the end of contract.

Remember they're running a club that's not financially sustainable without continued investment.

You sign young/backup players that you believe you can develop and will one day become an important member of the squad. The fact that Rangers released Halkett shows they didn’t believe he was going to develop into that kind of player. So, signing Halkett would’ve made no sense whatsoever.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

You sign young/backup players that you believe you can develop and will one day become an important member of the squad. The fact that Rangers released Halkett shows they didn’t believe he was going to develop into that kind of player. So, signing Halkett would’ve made no sense whatsoever.

For half a million quid? Then give them barely any time?

Rangers have resigned players they've previously released. You have also been interested in Kenny McLean and Lewis Ferguson. Two players you released.

It's ok to suggest a signing hasn't worked lads.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Rangers have resigned players they've previously released. You have also been interested in Kenny McLean and Lewis Ferguson. Two players you released.

I never said the signing of Edmundson has been a success, I’m simply highlighting your suggestion of signing Halkett is quite a mental take.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I seriously doubt we were ever interested in Lewis Ferguson. He doesn't fit the profile of what we look for in a midfielder.

Edmundson hasn't developed into a first choice CB. But that wasn't what you questioned, you questioned the process behind the signing, which is different. The process was fine IMO - normally this role would be fulfilled by an Academy player, but since our Academy was decimated during the Unpleasantness we signed one for a half a million quid. It's not a big outlay.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I seriously doubt we were ever interested in Lewis Ferguson. He doesn't fit the profile of what we look for in a midfielder.

Edmundson hasn't developed into a first choice CB. But that wasn't what you questioned, you questioned the process behind the signing, which is different. The process was fine IMO - normally this role would be fulfilled by an Academy player, but since our Academy was decimated during the Unpleasantness we signed one for a half a million quid. It's not a big outlay.

🤣 Takes like this are why your club are in the state they're in.

It's a house of cards reliant on success in Europe. There is absolutely no need for Rangers to spunk half a million on a player from England (he'll be on a decent wage too) if he's fulfilling the role an academy player could. That's exactly my point when I suggested Halkett. Except he'd have cost peanuts in comparison.

🤣 Takes like this are why your club are in the state they're in.

It's a house of cards reliant on success in Europe. There is absolutely no need for Rangers to spunk half a million on a player from England (he'll be on a decent wage too) if he's fulfilling the role an academy player could. That's exactly my point when I suggested Halkett. Except he'd have cost peanuts in comparison.

I mean, if you think Rangers are in "a state" financially then please identify the principal risks involved. Tell me why I should be so concerned. If we miss out on European group stage qualification, then the board have committed to covering our funding shortfalls, or we sell one of the high value assets we've got.

I'd be very surprised if Edmundson was on a better wage than any of our other cheap punts. He came from Oldham after all.

And the difference between Edmundson and Halkett is that one is okay and might become good, whereas Halkett is bad and will remain so!

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

I mean, if you think Rangers are in "a state" financially then please identify the principal risks involved. Tell me why I should be so concerned. If we miss out on European group stage qualification, then the board have committed to covering our funding shortfalls, or we sell one of the high value assets we've got.

I'd be very surprised if Edmundson was on a better wage than any of our other cheap punts. He came from Oldham after all.

And the difference between Edmundson and Halkett is that one is okay and might become good, whereas Halkett is bad and will remain so!

Remember when David Murray used to make grand statements. That you'd be willing to roll the dice again beggars belief.

It's still half a million on a player who 'may come good'. You've won nothing. 

Remember when David Murray used to make grand statements. That you'd be willing to roll the dice again beggars belief.

It's still half a million on a player who 'may come good'. You've won nothing. 

You have either identified risks in this strategy or you haven't. I'm eagerly waiting to hear them.

Good of our big pal Merkin Red to bring us back to reality - of course we're overspending and of course it's unsustainable.  The point he misses, though, is that we all know this.

Also, in case we're celebrating Sellick dropping two points in E'burgh today, we have this timely reminder of where our place actually is:

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Always a bit of a cringe with these things but nice to hear DJ doing the voiceover and a cameo from Sir John of Greig:

Glasgow Celtic, this is how you do a Christmas advert! With class, dignity and tradition!!!

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

Glasgow Celtic, this is how you do a Christmas advert! With class, dignity and tradition!!!

Aye but don't encourage the muppets -  It's been quite a nice thread over the past couple of weeks.  Even Ramblingguy has been quite restrained.

I look forward to our big pal @sugnagiving his summary of our books to the end of June.  He is usually William Welch Deloitte when it come to  analysis  and Private Frazer when it comes to outcomes.

5 hours ago, bennett said:

That's very impressive and it's a bit of a shame that our next three matches are in the cup.  I'd much prefer we had league fixtures.

December's jam-packed with six league and 2 EL games.  In the Premiership we have:

Sunday 6th December

Ross County 12:00 Rangers

Sunday 13th December

Dundee United 12:00 Rangers

Saturday 19th December

Rangers 15:00 Motherwell

Wednesday 23rd December

St Johnstone 19:45 Rangers

Saturday 26th December

Rangers 12:30 Hibernian

Wednesday 30th December

St Mirren 19:45 Rangers

Lots of judicious squad management needed to get through that lot with a healthy points tally and if we can get to the OF game 14 points ahead I'd be surprised and delighted.