Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 minute ago, quickoverayard said:

I'll happily give a list. Given that most of his peers class him as one of the greats this country ( GB ) has ever produced but he cant make a hall of fame in Scotland??

Him as a person is what you are all judging him on.

Actually as I said earlier in the thread I wouldn't have him in a Scotland hall of fame given he only spent about 2 years here.

When you add in his character and his previous behaviour it goes from probably doesn't deserve it to absolutely not for me.

FWIW I think he's a very troubled guy and hope he can put it all behind him but I disagree with his induction to a hall of fame here for many reasons as above.

Actually as I said earlier in the thread I wouldn't have him in a Scotland hall of fame given he only spent about 2 years here.
When you add in his character and his previous behaviour it goes from probably doesn't deserve it to absolutely not for me.
FWIW I think he's a very troubled guy and hope he can put it all behind him but I disagree with his induction to a hall of fame here for many reasons as above.

Fair points mate but everyone seethes for for the fact he played for rangers, if it was any other club with the exception of Celtic its a different arguement. The only reason you can have an arguement about his induction is his spell of time here and foe that i agree but facts are we will never see talents like him up here again and for that im grateful for having seen him play.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s your opinion and that is fine. The absolute fact is he was voted in and due to certain individuals he has been banned.

Certain individuals do not even hide their bias. Liam Burt should be recalled from his loan deal today!!!

Listening to the National Radio today and everybody outside of those who hate the club he played for Are appalled at the way he has been treated by the utter incompetents running our game or more accurately ruining our game!!

1 minute ago, BobWilliamson said:

That’s your opinion and that is fine. The absolute fact is he was voted in and due to certain individuals he has been banned.

Certain individuals do not even hide their bias. Liam Burt should be recalled from his loan deal today!!!

Listening to the National Radio today and everybody outside of those who hate the club he played for Are appalled at the way he has been treated by the utter incompetents running our game or more accurately ruining our game!!

The SFA/SPFL lurch from one embarrassment to another.

The fact they nominated him, made it public and then withdrew it is pathetic but not something we should be surprised at.

As for bias, there is nothing I loathe more than the Glasgow culture 'if you're no one of us you're one of them' attitude so I will abstain from that discussion thanks.

6 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair points mate but everyone seethes for for the fact he played for rangers, if it was any other club with the exception of Celtic its a different arguement. The only reason you can have an arguement about his induction is his spell of time here and foe that i agree but facts are we will never see talents like him up here again and for that im grateful for having seen him play.

I think you're overstating the 'just because it's Rangers' case here.  There is hysteria surrounding that club on here at times, I get that.  However, I would hazard a guess there's plenty ex-Rangers players in the hall of fame that not many would argue with?

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The SFA/SPFL lurch from one embarrassment to another.

The fact they nominated him, made it public and then withdrew it is pathetic but not something we should be surprised at.

As for bias, there is nothing I loathe more than the Glasgow culture 'if you're no one of us you're one of them' attitude so I will abstain from that discussion thanks.

It’s not a discussion. It’s a fact that the campaign to stop this was led by that Rangers hating b*****d at Alloa. 

1 minute ago, BobWilliamson said:

It’s not a discussion. It’s a fact that the campaign to stop this was led by that Rangers hating b*****d at Alloa. 

Honestly mate that chat is extremely boring, I'm sure you'd get plenty of likes etc on Rangers media or wherever.

There is a question to be asked though.
As the criteria for the induction into the hof clearly does not require a candidate to be Scottish, to what degree does it depend on their actual deeds here as opposed to their overall career/achievements.
E.g. George Best.

I think you're overstating the 'just because it's Rangers' case here.  There is hysteria surrounding that club on here at times, I get that.  However, I would hazard a guess there's plenty ex-Rangers players in the hall of fame that not many would argue with?
Im a rangers fan but im not your typical biased fan, top 3 ive seen play up here in exact order are

1. Laudrup
2. Larsson
3. Gazza

I grew up watching these 3 and i even had the shocking gazza dyed blonde hair. All 3 of them should be in the hall of fame. I honestly get why people hate him as he was an absolute b*****d off the park but seriously watch his life story, he was/is very troubled.

There is a question to be asked though.
As the criteria for the induction into the hof clearly does not require a candidate to be Scottish, to what degree does it depend on their actual deeds here as opposed to their overall career/achievements.
E.g. George Best.
I was just about to ask if he was in the hall of fame?

2 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

I honestly get why people hate him as he was an absolute b*****d off the park but seriously watch his life story, he was/is very troubled.

I already said that and I have sympathy with him.  I saw the documentary on him and I don't particularly dislike him.  I don't think his flute playing was sectarian, I think he was just a thicko who had no idea what it meant, just that the Ibrox faithful would enjoy it.

Beating his wife is pretty unforgivable but I believe in second chances.

None of the above though makes me think he deserves to be in a Scottish hall of fame.

I already said that and I have sympathy with him.  I saw the documentary on him and I don't particularly dislike him.  I don't think his flute playing was sectarian, I think he was just a thicko who had no idea what it meant, just that the Ibrox faithful would enjoy it.
None of the above though makes me think he deserves to be in a Scottish hall of fame.
Yup i couldnt agree with you more about him with the exception of he was hands down one of the best ever to play up here and on talent alone he was a cut above. Has he achieved as much as say Scott Brown? No he hasnt but years gone by Brown wouldn't start in either old firm back then but he'll go down as celtics most successful captain...... that was just an example. Its a sign of the times now both teams are shite.

4 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yup i couldnt agree with you more about him with the exception of he was hands down one of the best ever to play up here and on talent alone he was a cut above. Has he achieved as much as say Scott Brown? No he hasnt but years gone by Brown wouldn't start in either old firm back then but he'll go down as celtics most successful captain...... that was just an example. Its a sign of the times now both teams are shite.

You are probably right but for me hall of fame should be judged on contribution to the game in Scotland so for me talent alone is not enough.

There is no question of his ability as a football player, but if it's based on his contribution to Scottish Football?  What exactly did he do here in his two and a bit seasons?

Won a couple of leagues and cups, at a time when they were outspending every other team in the country by miles, yet done hee-haw in Europe.  He achieved no more than Moussa Dembele in the same amount of time. 

I have sympathy for him in the way this whole episode has been handled (would he have to have accepted this before it went public?).  The SFA, once again, make a mockery of the game up here.  However, I personally don't think he's deserving of a place in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame (based on his contribution, or lack there of, to the game in his time here).

41 minutes ago, Desp said:

There is no question of his ability as a football player, but if it's based on his contribution to Scottish Football?

It's not really just based on that though. There are players in the SFA hall of fame that were never capped by Scotland nor ever played in Scotland.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Give an example and why they were inducted then

John McGovern. Obviously had some great achievements but fits both the criteria I mentioned.

Frank McLintock never played or managed in Scotland and only had 9 caps.

Edited by Forest of Dean