Mrs Bunfield's barmy army

Thrilled to see Northern Ireland advance. Did what they realistically needed to do against Germany today and didn't need to wait until tomorrow to get their reward. Fantastic.

Am I correct in thinking Northern Ireland need a third place qualifier from group E to avoid France?

General consensus in the bar last night (lads that know better than I), after qualification confirmed that the most likely outcome would be France in Lyon on Saturday!?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General consensus in the bar last night (lads that know better than I), after qualification confirmed that the most likely outcome would be France in Lyon on Saturday!?

As far as I can tell (but I'm not at all confident) it will be France if whichever of Sweden/Belgium/Republic of Ireland finish third don't qualify, or Wales if they do. So in all likelihood it will be France, but there's a moderate chance of it being Wales.

Well, singing it is frowned upon, I just wondered if signing it was equally beyond the pale.

Police under fire for arresting deaf man for signing

Police officers who mistook a deaf man's frantic signing for rude gestures have been criticised by magistrates for arresting both him and his brother

Why, for doing better than Northern Ireland against Poland and Germany?

Surely this just proves that we were in a tougher group and comparisons are utterly pointless

You didn't do better than Northern Ireland because you didn't qualify, mainly down to the fact that you didn't win a single away game, apart from a sojourn in Gibraltar. Even so, you lost to Germany by a single goal, twice. We lost by this margin also.

Those sorts of comparisons are pointless as tournament football is different. Scotland SHOULD be doing better than Northern Ireland, but I do not see any great progress under Chesney.

Lyon is Sunday. Paris is Saturday. If it's Saturday I will go. If it is Sunday I can't as I need to be somewhere on Monday.

Northern Ireland are 3/1 to win on sat. That's a huge price. They are above Wales in the Fifa rankings and Wales are absolutely nothing special.

Neither are Northern Ireland! But if the Ukraine Northern Ireland turn up, I think we're* in with a chance.

* I think I'm allowed to say "we" having lived here for 43 years.

Whenever the qualifying round was taking place I hoped NI would do well, but I didn't think they'd qualify, far less top the group. In the actual Euros I was hoping they wouldn't lose all 3 games, never mind qualify. Northern Ireland have done brilliantly.

Those French types certainly love a good strike. 

ATC have been on strike 49 times since 2009.

£258 Glasgow to Paris CDG Saturday morning! Hmmmm !!?

I looked all day but can't get back on Sunday, and I just cannot afford anymore time off work. Match tickets going for ridiculous prices too.

You could have just left it at that rather than any of the other pish

I could, but at least my pish is factual.

Archived