Group F: Portugal - Iceland

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At what point in the tournament will Ronaldo disappear then?

Still yet to see him bring it in a big game.

Please note that I do firmly believe he is the 2nd best player on earth and one of the greatest players of all time, but the fact he has never performed in a properly big game is what is making me seriously doubt his credentials. Especially after Suarez showed how easy it is to shag goals in for Barca/Real. While scoring hat-tricks against Granada is still fairly impressive, disappearing at every major international tournament and being a passenger in the CL semi-finals and final everytime you get there is massively underwhelming.

At what point in the tournament will Ronaldo disappear then?

Still yet to see him bring it in a big game.

Please note that I do firmly believe he is the 2nd best player on earth and one of the greatest players of all time, but the fact he has never performed in a properly big game is what is making me seriously doubt his credentials. Especially after Suarez showed how easy it is to shag goals in for Barca/Real. While scoring hat-tricks against Granada is still fairly impressive, disappearing at every major international tournament and being a passenger in the CL semi-finals and final everytime you get there is massively underwhelming.

Did you not see him in the last Barca-Madrid game? He was outstanding.

Was tremendous in the CL final a couple of years ago. The "doesn't turn up for big games" thing is a total myth usually reeled out by people who don't actually see him play and just reel out the shite put out by the media.

A game that gave them a glimmer of hope in an all but lost title race is not a properly big game, not for a player of his caliber.

If you look at the top, top players, Messi, Zidane, Van Basten, Cruyff etc. all came up big in important games, it's probably most reasonable to look at Messi, who is his most obvious and immediate competition, who has regularly performed fantastically in CL finals and has been the biggest part of one of the most successful sides of all time. 

Was tremendous in the CL final a couple of years ago. The "doesn't turn up for big games" thing is a total myth usually reeled out by people who don't actually see him play and just reel out the shite put out by the media.

He did absolutely f**k all in the CL final a couple of years ago until they were already winning in extra-time against an Atletico side who, by that point, looked totally defeated. He was fucking invisible in the CL final this year as well, but he'll take all the plaudits and circle-wanking because he scored the last penalty.

The biggest games in which he has actually put in a world-class performance are the CL QF at home to Wolfsburg, and against Sweden during the WC qual. playoffs. 

As soon as a tournament hits the semis he vanishes, internationally he vanishes as soon as the tournament begins.

Personally I'd love to see him play as well in those games as he does during La Liga games at home to Granada because he is a joy to behold when he plays like that, but I've yet to see him do it.

Happy to be proven wrong but I'll be stunned if I am.

Ok,i will bite.

He dragged Man utd to the CL in 2008 in Moscow then scored in the final

He also scored the winner against arguably the best domestic team ever put together when Real beat Barca in the Copa del Rey final a few years ago. To say he goes missing in big games is either trolling or sheer stupidity. Im gonna go for the latter

ETA - as well as scoring goals in both Fa Cup and League Cup finals. The more i read that post, the more ridiculous it becomes

You see people say this kind of stuff about players all the time. Everybody has good and bad games and people just pick and choose performances from the games they want to depending on their argument.

Last night it was Hummels always makes mistakes and can only be trusted for 85 minutes... unlike Italy's back 3, even though last night Italy's back 3 really should've conceded 2 goals through poor defending.

Ok,i will bite.

He dragged Man utd to the CL in 2008 - Van Der Sar, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Scholes, Tevez and Rooney were shite that year right enough, . in Moscow then scored in the final - he did play well in that big game.

He also scored the winner against arguably the best domestic team ever put together when Real beat Barca in the Copa del Rey final a few years ago. To say he goes missing in big games is either trolling or sheer stupidity. Im gonna go for the latter - The CDR final is not really a big game.

ETA - as well as scoring goals in both Fa Cup - scored in one Fa Cup final, the 2nd of a 3-0 win against Millwall  and League Cup - scored in one League cup final, the 3rd of a 4-0 win against Wigan, also not a big game. finals. The more i read that post, the more ridiculous it becomes - ditto

So we have a good performance in the CL final almost a decade ago, Scoring in the Copa Del Rey final 5 years ago, scoring the second in a 3-0 win against Millwall in the FA cup final (who finished 10 in what is now the Championship), and scoring the 3rd in a 4-0 win against Wigan in the heady heights of the league cup final.

He was utterly outstanding at United, especially in 2008, largely because he turned in great performances when it mattered.

You must either be on the glue or the wind up. In your post, you said as soon as a tournament hits the semis, Ronaldo disappears. Ive given you 4 examples of him scoring in major finals. If you really want, i can give you multiple examples of semi final goals as well? Youve made a c**t of yourself, move on

You must either be on the glue or the wind up. In your post, you said as soon as a tournament hits the semis, Ronaldo disappears. Ive given you 4 examples of him scoring in major finals. If you really want, i can give you multiple examples of semi final goals as well? Youve made a c**t of yourself, move on

1 major final, almost a decade ago, the FA cup is very debateable whether it is major anymore, given that none of the big teams give a shit unil the semis.

The league cup and CDR are minor finals.

He's not brought it in a big game for over 8 years, it is especially noticeable when compared with Messi who is regularly fantastic against lesser and bigger teams alike in games of both low and high consequence and he actually did drag his team to a World Cup final.

For him to have any sort of claim to be the best player in the world, he has to outperform Messi in those games, he has not, in fact, he has failed to even be the best player on the pitch in those games, never mind the world.

Archived