Group F: Portugal - Iceland

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I'm just shooting down myths that have zero basis in reality. You even admitted yourself he's done it on the big stage many times. I fail to see how he's different from any other great player.

The ones who DO score shiteloads every tournament tend not to have a team of dross around them.

Portugal don't have a team full of dross. Ronaldo had two chances gifted to him (5 if you count the three freekicks he decided to hit against a player in white). Portugal did not fail to win because Ronaldo was their only non-dross player

So you're moaning about myths by stating one yourself?

Portugal don't have a team full of dross. Ronaldo had two chances gifted to him (5 if you count the three freekicks he decided to hit against a player in white). Portugal did not fail to win because Ronaldo was their only non-dross player

So you're moaning about myths by stating one yourself?

Nailed it Dom Dom greeting about myths but then rolls out the old Portugal are comprised of ronaldo and ten Colin nishes. Shows himself out to " not only be ignorant, but also a massive thicko " :lol:

Portugal are not a team of dross, they're all decent players. That's all. None of the players going forward would near any of the best ten sides in Europe starting line ups. The only reason people even talk about Portugal as an outsider is because of Ronaldo.

He's also the top scorer in the history of the biggest club competition in the world. His comments last night were that of a sore loser. Being a sore loser has taken his ability to the level he is at, which is one of the top two of all time. He is the most driven athlete in history for me.

You can stop wanking over him now..

And he's not in the top two.

This should be fun. Let's go, name two better than him.

ETA

Ooft, even better. Name them. Top ten :lol:

Piece of piss. Here's ten in no particular order:

Pele

Maradona

Cruyff

Puskas

Di Stefano

Beckenbauer

Eusebio

Garrincha

Baresi

Yashin

Would be in most top tens providing you don't adopt a year zero approach when anything prior to the Champions League didn't happen - Messi and Ronaldo would obviously both be contenders, but I've left off the likes of Josef Bican, Zinedine Zidane, George Best and Paolo Maldini who would be too...

In my football watching lifetime and in no particular order. This is also based on the players who transformed their teams to another level, not just scoring goals and show ponying:-Maradona

Pele

Platini

Cruyff

Zico

Suarez

Messi

Present Ronaldo

Fat Ronaldo

Michael Laudrup

I've probably missed a few but that's just my starter 10. Reckon the present Ronaldo might be pushing for top six

I'd guess by asking the Portuguese Eusebio would top the list of their greatest ever footballers. When he died the nation of Portugal declared a period of three days of mourning. He's also been buried at the National Pantheon.

But there is no way to tell for certain who was better.

I'm sure the competition he came up against in Portugal and the States was very competitive. I'm sure your nostalgia in your old age must be strong, but Messi and Ronaldo are clearly the two best to ever play the game.

Before my time, but you're beginning to sound like one of those rock fans that consider music not to have existed before Nevermind.

Imagine putting players you've never watched ahead of players that have far superior records. What a fucking hipster.

Not so much that as an awareness that football didn't start when I began watching it.

You should maybe give it a go.

He's also the top scorer in the history of the biggest club competition in the world. His comments last night were that of a sore loser. Being a sore loser has taken his ability to the level he is at, which is one of the top two of all time. He is the most driven athlete in history for me.

He's taken the attributes he has and worked on them to be become far better than other players who might have more skill and natural ability. A bit like Beckham, but obviously a better player. And yes, his drive and determination is part of what makes him a top athlete and phenomenal goalscorer. But it also makes him a bit of a dick, and not just a sore loser. And Messi is still better than him.

In my football watching lifetime and in no particular order. This is also based on the players who transformed their teams to another level, not just scoring goals and show ponying:-Maradona

Pele

Platini

Cruyff

Zico

Suarez

Messi

Present Ronaldo

Fat Ronaldo

Michael Laudrup

I've probably missed a few but that's just my starter 10. Reckon the present Ronaldo might be pushing for top six

How the f**k did Maradona not transform Argentina and Napoli to another level.

Edit- must have read this wrong as you go on to praise Maradona in the post below.

Ronaldo and Messi's goalscoring records speak for themselves and I think they are both up there in the top 10. However, neither of them have yet managed to drag an average team to unlikely glory almost single handed.

Although Argentina's squad was decent at the '86 World Cup they would have been nowhere near the final if not for Maradona. Similarly the great French team of the '80s would not have won Euro 84 and been in semi finals of World Cup 82 and 86 without Platini

I could go on but Messi and Ronaldo have so far not managed to propel their national sides to great heights.

Granted that international football is now viewed more of an irrelevance rather than a matter of pride. I'm pretty sure both Ronaldo and Messi would rather be playing in the CL with Real/Barca than playing for Portugal/Argentina

Did football from yesteryear lend itself more to individual talents? IE, would Maradona have dragged Messi's Argentina team to victory when they had to face the collective brilliance of Spain and Germany?

Archived