Premier League 2016-2017

I think you would hard pressed to say Gerrard at some point wasnt world class, he dragged somewhat mediocre teams to cup finals and won some of them, including the european cup. Would have been interesting to see how he would have got on at a top team in terms of players, could have been more of a cog perhaps but we will never know really.

World class players can perform in international football. Gerrard dud nothing even remotely world class in internationals even against mediocre opponents.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Did you manage to get to one of the games in London you mentioned last week HM?

Got to West Ham and Southampton (unfortunately) and missed Arsenal (very annoying). Still got a few coming up that I'll hopefully have a chance of getting to.

Gerrard said "this does not slip" then slipped and cost Liverpool the league. Absolutely sensational storytelling right there.

Think the draw with palace done more damage.

Gerrard was without doubt the best British midfielder the premiership has ever seen. If you don't like him as a person fair enough but to say he was not world class and overatted is stupidity.

Think the draw with palace done more damage.
Gerrard was without doubt the best British midfielder the premiership has ever seen. If you don't like him as a person fair enough but to say he was not world class and overatted is stupidity.

The league was already pretty much lost come the Palace game - that just made it all the funnier. They were desperate to rack up more goals due City's much better GD that season. Slippy G cost them the league.

That's not far off our two top international strikers!! both of whom were described as world class!!

Law scored 30 in 50 odd matches with Scotland. Think thats a bit more impressive than taking pens n free kicks for England against often poor opposition. Gerrard used to disappear in games against even competent opponents (like many of his colleagues tbf) hence their indifferent record at tourneys despite their 'world class' players.

It annoys me when people use team performances and results to have a go at individuals.

Not even on about Gerrard here. But like KL has said you always get the Messi will never be the greatest unless he wins something with Argentina... Lot of shite.

Did Gerrard not get punted out to the right wing when Alonso and Mascherano were fit because both were superior central midfielders in the role Liverpool required?

Gerrard was a very good player at his peak, and was capable of brilliant performances driving the ball through midfield, but he lacked any semblance of tactical discipline, constantly smashed long diagonals out of the park when simple passes were available (See also Rooney, W. for both of these) and was far too selfish a player to ever be considered world class. Good though he was, he never consistently reached the level of Vieira, Keane, Scholes, Lampard, Alonso, or Makelele, and I'd have taken any of those players before Gerrard.

As I've said Xabi Alonso is a better player than Gerrard was. It's not even disputable. Alonso has won the league in Spain, won the cup in Spain, won the champions league with Real Madrid and Liverpool, won the league with Bayern, won the cup with Bayern, won the European super cup twice, won the World Cup, won the Euros twice.

Gerrard couldn't even win the premier league and literally let it slip.

Archived