immigration

The story of these islands and Scotland is one of internal migration and immigration.

Culturally we are all enriched by migration.

Today with an aging population it is essential that we attract skilled and unskilled migrants, particularly to Scotland to contribute to our economy.

Scotland's immigration needs are ill served by the UK wide immigration policy for example our inability to hold onto the skilled people we train at our universities through the removal of the post study work visa.

We also have a humanitarian obligation to take our share of refugees fleeing conflict across the globe. Currently Scotland takes in a third of the UK's refugees but the UK's response has been woeful when compared with our European neighbours.

So, we need more immigration it will be fantastic and we might find some fucking footballers in there. We could have had Ibrahimavic.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My idea of what the immigration policy should be:

-Unregulated EU migration (assuming a remain vote)

-Australian points system for non-EU migrants, with regional weightings added so that it's easier for migrants to move into regions like Scotland who need them

-Reintroduction of the post study work visa

-Bring some child refugees over from Syria, but ensure that they're raised in line with British values and not lost in the system

-Mandatory English lessons for all migrants

-Compulsory deportation of any migrant sentenced to more than one year in prison

fact is we have an ageing population, to make the nhs/social care system viable we need immigration and much more than we currently have.

What's the solution in the next generation when there are even more pensioners than there are now because of all this immigration? Even more immigration?

Why? Do you have concerns about immigration?

Yes, I don't think we have enough into Scotland.

Deadline for motions to National Conference closed 42 minutes ago unfortunately but maybe next time.

What do you think about immigration. I'm keen to establish a dialogue which hopefully by Sunday will establish a P&B consensus. A first for the politics sub forum.

We absolutely need as many skilled and unskilled migrants as we can get, but the problem is also a big loser mentality in the people already here. Old Man Danger's loser generation being actively encouraged to f**k off to Australia/Canada/anywhere else that's far away would be a positive start.

We absolutely need as many skilled and unskilled migrants as we can get, but the problem is also a big loser mentality in the people already here. Old Man Danger's loser generation being actively encouraged to f**k off to Australia/Canada/anywhere else that's far away would be a positive start.

What the hell? You want more UNSKILLED people in the country? A bizarre position to take. We already have enough people twiddling their thumbs

What the hell? You want more UNSKILLED people in the country? A bizarre position to take. We already have enough people twiddling their thumbs

I'm not sure you know what 'unskilled' means in this context.

Yes, I don't think we have enough into Scotland.

Deadline for motions to National Conference closed 42 minutes ago unfortunately but maybe next time.

What do you think about immigration. I'm keen to establish a dialogue which hopefully by Sunday will establish a P&B consensus. A first for the politics sub forum.

I have two issues. One is the economic one of using migrant workers as cheap labour, that's an issue that would disappear in an Independent Scotland where I think the issue of exploitation would be tackled. I reckon the exploitation of Eastern European workers in Perth and Angus is pretty high. I can only offer anecdotal evidence of this based on giving a couple a lift in from Coupar Angus to Dundee and being told that on the days where the weather meant they couldn't work then they didn't get paid.

The second isn't really an immigration issue but one that may be exacerbated by it. I've always believed that in a multi-racial, multi-cultural society we need a high level of societal integration. There are certain cultures who are actively opposed to such integration; that leads to ghettoisation, some of which is self imposed. That is not a healthy thing.

Other than that I agree that immigration is necessary for and beneficial to the Scottish economy.

As long as they're contributing economically, I don't care if we let in 10, ten thousand or a million a year, and I don't care where they're from either.

Speaking the language or learning on arrival should be mandatory to allow and encourage integration.

Refugees are a different kettle of fish obviously. Longer-term policy on refugees should be to stop destroying their countries on a false pretext for geopolitical & financial gain in the first place.

We need care workers, service industry staff doing the jobs that natives are turning their noses up at. We need skilled migrants too!

Why are locals turning up their noses? Terrible conditions and shit wages possibly? Private sector care home owners making fortunes, subsidised from the public purse, whilst paying their workers the bare minimum?

Local authority and NHS services put out to tender to private sector companies competing on price only whilst, again, reducing the wages and conditions of employees?

Yeah worked well in the nazi labour camps, good call champ.

Fact is migrants who come to this country generally work their arses off, create wealth and contribute more than large

native sections of society!

If we weren't dishing out benefits to every Tom Dick and Harry

Archived