Group D: Spain vs Turkey

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the fact that the standard in this tournament is the height of mediocrity. They'll definitely make the last four.

Can't see it. They couldn't live with Italy, Germany, Spain, France. 

Or, I could be wrong. We'll find out soon.

Pulls is a refreshing change from Keown and Wright.

I'd prefer the "refreshing change" to actually know some of the players that he's meant to be talking about, though. Other than Arda Turan, I don't think he mentioned a Turkish player by name tonight, and considering how much he's probably getting paid by ITV (and the fact he's a manager at a high level in club football!), that's pretty disgraceful.

I could even understand if the casual fan hasn't heard of some of them, but even then I'd expect most people to have heard of Tore, Sahin or Calhanoglu. Pulis didn't have a fucking clue.

I'd prefer the "refreshing change" to actually know some of the players that he's meant to be talking about, though. Other than Arda Turan, I don't think he mentioned a Turkish player by name tonight, and considering how much he's probably getting paid by ITV (and the fact he's a manager at a high level in club football!), that's pretty disgraceful.

I could even understand if the casual fan hasn't heard of some of them, but even then I'd expect most people to have heard of Tore, Sahin or Calhanoglu. Pulis didn't have a fucking clue.

Gabriel Marcotti has a story about Pullis being offered Djorkaeff at the tail end of his career and telling his agent he had never heard of him.

Who?

Tbf, if it wasn't for Fifa/FM I'd never have heard of them either.

In terms of who looks likely I think there's 4 main contenders in

Germany

Spain

Italy

France

After that there's teams with an outside chance but not very likely.

England

Croatia

Poland

Switzerland

Just remembered that Holland failed to qualify, makes me feel slightly better about not being there.

Nuri Sahin, a guy who has played almost his entire career for Dortmund, Real Madrid and Liverpool. Even if casual fans haven't heard of him (which I find unlikely), a guy who manages in the Premier League and is getting paid to talk about football during a major international tournament definitely should have.

Tbf, if it wasn't for Fifa/FM I'd never have heard of them either.

In terms of who looks likely I think there's 4 main contenders in

Germany

Spain

Italy

France

Yes for Spain and Italy.  Question mark Germany and France.

Yes for Spain and Italy.  Question mark Germany and France.

Germany always have the quality to go through even when/if they're not playing well, it's more a case of I can't see a team likely to beat them as well.

France will lift their game after the group, can see Giroud and Griezmann being on fire in the knockout stages.

Nuri Sahin, a guy who has played almost his entire career for Dortmund, Real Madrid and Liverpool. Even if casual fans haven't heard of him (which I find unlikely), a guy who manages in the Premier League and is getting paid to talk about football during a major international tournament definitely should have.

Not sure how you define a casual fan but i don't follow European football at all. I do take an interest in Liverpool being a big EPL team but I've still never heard of this guy. What position does he play?

Nightmare's problem is that he's lost deep inside the football bubble and assumes everyone has the same knowledge as himself. I know a lot of the Turkish side too but I'm a massive dork and wouldn't expect many others to know or care.

As for the game, I doubt you'll see an easier win. Long periods were very dull because it was such a total mismatch. Iniesta though, ooft.

Nightmare's problem is that he's lost deep inside the football bubble and assumes everyone has the same knowledge as himself. I know a lot of the Turkish side too but I'm a massive dork and wouldn't expect many others to know or care.

As for the game, I doubt you'll see an easier win. Long periods were very dull because it was such a total mismatch. Iniesta though, ooft.

You do not need to be "deep inside the football bubble" to know who Nuri Sahin or Hakan Calhanoglu are.

Didn't hear the commentary but if Pulis did say he hadn't heard of Nuri Sahin then it's an utter riddy for him. The guy has 200+ appearances for Dortmund as well as having 50 caps for Turkey and a Champions League runners up medal.

In terms of achievements it's akin to a manager coming out and saying they've never heard of someone like Mats Hummels or Mario Gotze or similar.

Didn't hear the commentary but if Pulis did say he hadn't heard of Nuri Sahin then it's an utter riddy for him. The guy has 200+ appearances for Dortmund as well as having 50 caps for Turkey and a Champions League runners up medal.

In terms of achievements it's akin to a manager coming out and saying they've never heard of someone like Mats Hummels or Mario Gotze or similar.

Well, it really isn't given the last two are World Cup winners.

Archived