Europa League 2016/17

lichtie23

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

EDIT: Actually, they go into the playoff rounds. Sorry.

If you're talking about Man Utd then I think they go into the Groups, although not as a seeded team. The Europa League winners go into the Play-off round unless the slot reserved for the Champions League holders isn't needed - and since Juventus and Real Madrid both won their domestic leagues, it isn't. So they go into the Groups.

7 hours ago, nsr said:

So does this mean Lolverpool still get in the Chumpions League? I thought there were strict rules on a maximum of 4 entries from one country?

Nice nicknames.

They sure do. A two legged Qualifier in August to negotiate 16/17th and 23rd/24th and the 5 time champions will be in. 

That was a relatively horrible game to watch last night, but every inch a Mourinho masterclass after that early goal.

Ajax showed all their inexperience and really disappointed, but it was as much to do with Utd preventing them from playing as anything else.

Can't help but feel there are 3 or 4 superstars in the making in that Ajax side, particularly at the back.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Just found out there that Mattijs de Ligt who was playing left back for Ajax is only 17.

Young and inexperienced?

44 minutes ago, Ross. said:

That was a relatively horrible game to watch last night, but every inch a Mourinho masterclass after that early goal.

Ajax showed all their inexperience and really disappointed, but it was as much to do with Utd preventing them from playing as anything else.

Can't help but feel there are 3 or 4 superstars in the making in that Ajax side, particularly at the back.

a masterclass of parking the bus against a n under 23 side

14 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

a masterclass of parking the bus against a n under 23 side

They scored 4 over the 2 legs v Schalke and 5 in the 2 games against Lyon. Inexperienced or not they are a good attacking team. Mourinho done what he does best. Went ahead and then killed the game. It is horrible to watch but he is one of the best in the world at organising and motivating his teams. Credit is due, whether you want to give it or not.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

They scored 4 over the 2 legs v Schalke and 5 in the 2 games against Lyon. Inexperienced or not they are a good attacking team. Mourinho done what he does best. Went ahead and then killed the game. It is horrible to watch but he is one of the best in the world at organising and motivating his teams. Credit is due, whether you want to give it or not.

i know but i despise him and despise man united so not much chance of me giving any credit

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Fair play to Man United taking the Europa League seriously. As big Pogba says, they have the prize. People can laugh but I'd bet that the majority of those people would bite your hand off for the Europa League trophy.

This is revisionist nonsense. Man United weren't taking the EL at all seriously until the quarter-finals. Had they been given a tougher draw in the autumn or early spring rounds then they could well have followed other English clubs like, erm, Manchester United a few years ago and slinked out of the tournament without caring too much. It was viewed by them as an annoying sideshow to their supposed title challenge. Then their supposed top 4 challenge. It grew in importance only after they had failed to achieve any of their domestic targets for the season, at which case, yep, the Europa League became the be all and end all of their campaign.

The idea that a club that had an estimated net spend of £150 million in the summer of 2016 (excluding wages) enjoyed a good season by finishing 6th, securing CL qualification via the Europa League trophy and picking up two absolute diddy domestic trophies is nonsense. It's not significantly (i.e. £150m of investment) better than their previous season under van Gaal. 

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

Don't really care if credit is due, it was an incredibly boring football match from one of the dullest teams I can ever recall watching. I would rather watch St Johnstone.

Too far.

Guest DAVIDB69

Man united have taken the lead in 37 games in all comps and lost any of them.

So it's all about the 1nil, however if they go behind they usually lose

Archived