East Region South Division Thread 2016/2017

Burnie_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rosyth 2 Blackburn Utd 0

Woeful performance today, behind after 2 mins due to poor marking from a corner, the same happened second half. Had a few chances but couldn't convert. Ended with 9 men due to injury after having used all subs, then a second yellow.

Throughly deserved win for Rosyth, no complaints.

Hurry up next week!

Lochgelly 0 Oakley 2
Wind and a sending off for Lochgelly goalie helped us get this result against a top Lochgelly team,we rode our luck in spells but also battled for every ball so will take it,confidence building every week at Oakley,Cele got both goals

Thornton Hibs.       2.          Dunbar United.      2

Dunbar opened scoring through Dean Ballantyne but Thornton equalised on the half hour mark. Chris King smashed a penalty against the bar and did likewise with a free kick. Chris Grant also struck the bar before Dunbar regained their lead through an own goal five minutes after the restart and five minutes later Thornton equalised again with an own goal. THings looked bleak for the visitors when their captain Steven Tait was sent off after 62 minutes picking up 2 yellows in space of five minutes. But the 10 men worked their socks off and might have won it in the dying minutes when Kingy fired inches wide. Very windy conditions made conditions difficult but on to next weekend's replay at Dunbar.

Looks like a bit of a struggle for the teams at the top yesterday. A win bu 1 goal for Lochgelly at struggling Stoneyburn, Pumphy needed to come from behind to squeeze past Oakley and Blackburn trailed Livi by 2 goals early on before seeing them off well into the 2nd half. Are the bottom teams getting their act together or the top teams wobbling? ... or a bit of both?

Probably a bit of both.  There’s no stand out team in the Division who will steamroller every game and run away with it, and the clubs who were getting humped at the start of the season have improved eg Oakley.

As I keep saying, it’s going to go down to the wire (on the face of it as I’ve not seen everyone) with not much between Blackburn, Pumphy, Lochgelly and Dunbar, then you have the likes of Oakley improving every week and Edinburgh and Easthouses putting decent results together. There’s no easy beats.

Looks like tightest south league in years. Wins like the one on Saturday for Blackburn are what's needed to win leagues, 2 down to a team people fancied them to dispose of easily, shows character. As long as they keep McQuilken fit then they won't be far away. Still fancy them to go up, but they'll be hard pushed by 3 or 4 others by looks of it. 

A bit of a cliche I know, but Blackburn on Saturday were slow out the blocks and looked shocked that Livingston were in their faces quite so quickly and took such an early two goal lead. After that they seemed to pull things together and thoroughly deserved their win, and it probably should've been more.

If McQuillan can indeed continue in the rich vein of form he seems to have found since his return (which, to be fair, seems to be every bit as good as the form he was in when he moved up to the Super League with Fauldhouse and then with Broxburn) then Blackburn will always be a threat going forward. I would imagine, though, that manager Mark Campbell will be a little worried about the amount of goals being shipped after having had the best defensive record in the league last season (I think?).

On 8/7/2016 at 23:40, Thewhitepele said:

On 10/3/2016 at 16:06, budgie smuggler said:

I personally think it will be between Blackburn and Dunbar come the end of the season. Although there are clubs in this league that are more than capable of taking points of each other.

.Dunbar have improved , but maybe not as much as some are saying. Yes they have had a good start to the season but they are still to play a team in the top five and only then , should people make assumptions. I have watched them for many years and I would be hesitant to say  they are going to be at the top come the end of the season, but the signs are good, some good players have come in and there are one or two who are not doing so well at the moment and for me that is where they could slip up, they appear to be struggling for numbers just now, for whatever reason, so maybe a couple of new signings could just make the difference. I wonder what other Dunbar supporters think, all has been quiet but some are saying its the best team for a long time, but is it. My view is that it is way to early to try and compare with previous Dunbar teams, but experience has shown that teams will take points off each other in this league and we were always in that category, but are we good enough to take that next step. At least there doesnt appear to be a team who have the money that will guarantee success, like previous winners, so it will be the most open league for awhile and like Burnie said, I dont think one team will get away from the rest and it could go to the wire. 

On 8/13/2016 at 17:16, Pistol88 said:

On 9/14/2016 at 13:39, PastyMan said:

Agreed, home advantage for Blackburn and going very well. 10 wins on the bounce, 9 league and a cup win. Looking forward to a good game.

On 03/10/2016 at 14:28, 12 Angry Men said:

If McQuillan can indeed continue in the rich vein of form he seems to have found since his return (which, to be fair, seems to be every bit as good as the form he was in when he moved up to the Super League with Fauldhouse and then with Broxburn) then Blackburn will always be a threat going forward. I would imagine, though, that manager Mark Campbell will be a little worried about the amount of goals being shipped after having had the best defensive record in the league last season (I think?).

I think Blackburn have set up to be more attacking this season so far. Last season they were hard to beat, but drew a large number of games which eventually scuppered chances of promotion. Looking back to the start of last season and after 10 competitive games Blackburn had scored 20 and conceded 10, losing 1 and drawing 4 games along the way. With just 1 defeat and a draw they have scored 34 so far this season and conceded 12. McQuillan is looking pretty good though. Even in a quiet game yesterday he scored twice, set up the other goal and also hit the woodwork twice.

2 hours ago, Pistol88 said:

Edinburgh Utd 1-4 Dunbar 

Dean Ballantyne (3),Scott Devlin 

Can't believe Edinburgh lost this game today, I know it's easy to blame the ref but seriously the ref was shocking today, sent a guy off for saying if it was offside !! Gave first goal when miles offside. Shocking performance. Dunbar done a job tbh but were poor most of the game.

Archived