WWE Cruiserweight Classic

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two very good matches.  Well, one very good match and one absolutely splendid one.  I think WWE could do worse than to bring Tajiri in in the same way they're going after other previous stars.  Guy can still go, and looks like he could fit into the more "real" style they seem to like now, rather than just a comedy mid-carder.  Right man won though, second round is a good time to start dropping off the ones who are just there to put people over.  

The Ibushi/Alexander match was just brilliant.  Looked very stiff in parts too, and if they weren't really hitting each other with that force, they made a brilliant job of making it seem like they were.  One slight criticism would be that they made Ibushi look a bit too strong.  The brainbuster and then the kick both getting kicked out of took a bit of the shine off, especially when Ibushi came back soon after, hit his finisher, and that was that.  It's a minor thing though, because the rest of the match was brilliant.

There really is a hell of a lot of talent for WWE to pick from in this tournament, and if they get the right ones there's going to be a hell of a division on RAW.

One thing I don't like about the show is post-match.  Right after the winner's hand is raised, they cut to the bracket, and from the crowd noises it sounds like you're missing the shows of respect at the end.  Not a huge thing, but a bit annoying.  The end to the show seemed a bit disjointed because of this, especially when it cut back again to Alexander with HHH coming back in.

Not really a spoiler tbh. Not sure that was the right call for the CWC. Tozawa is a great talent of course but Jack Gallagher is a guy who can get fans behind him in an instant. I can see him being part of the CW division going on how popular he was.

That HoHo Lun didn't look much better than he did in the first round. Kendrick continues to look better than he ever did in his WWE days. An impressive tournament for him so far.

Jack Gallagher had a bit of the ZSJ sneaking into that match, there were moments that looked like Tozawa was just letting him get his spots in.  Nowhere near as bad though, and hopefully there's a decent future for him in the new division. I'm wondering how many of them they'll end up signing.  To be honest you could pick up half of the 32 and run an absolutely brilliant show each week outside of RAW.  Unfortunately we'll probably get a handful squeezed into a ten minute slot.

Sounds like the quarters at least are getting taped towards the end of the month.  Not sure if they're keeping the semi finals to the live final week.  Would make sense - we've got 2 weeks left before the grand final - two quarters on each show, then the two semis and the final on the live ending.  

On 8/25/2016 at 02:39, Randy Giles said:

Gulak vs Sabre was quality

Yeah, definitely seemed more like a match rather than an extended exhibition of "look what ZSJ can do".  Wondering whether they'll still put him through to the final - he's already said he doesn't want to sign for WWE right now, so if they want to pick up Noam Dar, will they have him go over in the quarters?  Unlikely, as if they're thinking along those lines they'd probably have him drop in the semis or lose the final.  

4 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

It's Noam next so I think Sabre ends here. He has no desire to sign.

Yeah, noticed that.  Noam doesn't seem to be going down as well as others going by some of the podcasts I've listened to, but then he's had two pretty poor opponents.  Hopefully he goes over against Sabre and shows what he can do.  

It's actually getting quite interesting now.  Winner of Noam/Sabre faces Gran Metalik/Akira Tozawa.  Tough to call, but can see the winner of the latter going to the final.  Then Kendrick/Ibushi will face Perkins/Swann.  Looking very much like it'll be Ibushi in the final after he beats Perkins.  Kendrick's dream ends in a classic with Ibushi.  

But hasn't Ibushi said he won't sign either?  Or is that still up in the air?  Could be that he makes it to the final then puts someone over on the way out?

Disappointed to see Kendrick go out, but I suppose going out in an absolute war with Ibushi isn't so bad. Great match, but slightly overshadowed by Metallik and Tozawa beforehand.

Noam Dar vs. Zack Sabre Jr. next week just has me completely psyched.

Archived