Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a confirmed no based on the failure of the economics and currency arguments. If it comes round again based on this Euroref surely we'll have to sign up for the Euro? Devil and deep blue sea here...

Might be a better option than the pound by that time.

Was a confirmed no based on the failure of the economics and currency arguments. If it comes round again based on this Euroref surely we'll have to sign up for the Euro? Devil and deep blue sea here...

Other prosperous small countries seem to do OK with the Euro, it's the Southern basket cases that are struggling. I'm beginning to think it would be the best and simplest option.

Other prosperous small countries seem to do OK with the Euro, it's the Southern basket cases that are struggling. I'm beginning to think it would be the best and simplest option.

I guess it will depend on where the EU is in 12-18 months time. Britain is a key part of it so it will be weakened and other nationalist parties in other European states area now wanting their own referendum.

Many of them had major issues prior to joining eg Greece had 'relaxed' attitude to tax collection. I think the clarity and lack of ambiguous currency options probably helps yes.

This result has changed everything.

A lot of people who voted No, or as in my case voted Yes but with a very heavy dollop of scepticism, are now unapologetically shifting both heart and head in the Yes direction.

I have friends and family, middle class, British people, who were ardent No voters last time, saying as far as they're concerned Yes is a no brainer now.

All of the certainty, stability, and even openness and tolerance and "British patriotism" they were swayed by has been brought crushing to a halt. My dad basically said to me he saw Brexit voters and politicians as an insult to what it meant to be British. Others who once saw it as their duty as British people to protect England from Little/Middle England are saying they now wash their hands of them.

This is a cultural shift along the people who saw No home.

A lot of people who voted No, or as in my case voted Yes but with a very heavy dollop of scepticism, are now unapologetically shifting both heart and head in the Yes direction.

I have friends and family, middle class, British people, who were ardent No voters last time, saying as far as they're concerned Yes is a no brainer now.

All of the certainty, stability, and even openness and tolerance and "British patriotism" they were swayed by has been brought crushing to a halt. My dad basically said to me he saw Brexit voters and politicians as an insult to what it meant to be British. Others who once saw it as their duty as British people to protect England from Little/Middle England are saying they now wash their hands of them.

My mother's the same, all the sticking together like we did in WW2 has  gone right out the window.

I've been surprised at a few staunch no voters I know on Facebook who are now supporting indyref2. I think we could see a comfortable victory at this rate.

Maybe hyperbole to think it could be as clear as the 99 devo vote but I think it's inevitable now

I've been surprised at a few staunch no voters I know on Facebook who are now supporting indyref2. I think we could see a comfortable victory at this rate.

Mine is the same.

Even an 'I'll leave the country if it's a yes vote' fud from 2014 has switched sides. Incredible scenes,

I'm still yes btw - not that I'm the target demographic.

Maybe hyperbole to think it could be as clear as the 99 devo vote but I think it's inevitable now

It will be interesting to see if these feelings are knee jerk. I think they run deeper and the inevitable economic brexit fallout will deepen discontent. It will be important for previous Yes voters to welcome new Yes voters on board. Playing the 'I told you so' card is good for nobody. The game has changed after all. 

Just like the predictions of a comfotable 'Remain' vote yesterday? :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see if these feelings are knee jerk. I think they run deeper and the inevitable economic brexit fallout will deepen discontent. It will be important for previous Yes voters to welcome new Yes voters on board. Playing the 'I told you so' card is good for nobody. The game has changed after all.

Spot on.

It is washing their hands of them.

I certainly understood the idea of solidarity with working people in the rest of the UK by supporting the union - but now quite frankly anyone who is taking that line needs to take a serious look at themselves.  It is quite clear that the working class in England and Wales want to be ruled by the elites.

They've been given a chance, not once, but twice in the last 13 months to do something that is not selfish, that is in the interests of solidarity and have spectacularly blown it both times.

They complain about austerity yet proceed to back the one political party that is the architect of that austerity.  They complain about taking back control yet are handing back control to the very elites that have always shafted working people.  It's a vote based on petty insularism and deluded self-interest - one built on sand.  They will have no right to complain when it all goes tits up - and it will.

Absolutely this.

Archived