Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

Still No and although I didn't want to leave the EU the tantrums from the yes voters are hilarious.

Sturgeon will be terrified that she now has to call a referendum as folk won't want any more upheaval. But she can't not call one. She will be hoping the Tories stop her and she can act like a guy being held back from a fight by his bird....

This. Nail. Head. Square on.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad voted no and was the staunchest one I met. He wouldn't even listen to my arguments, never mind try to debunk them or debate with me. We actually properly fell out about it at the time which was seriously out of character for us both.

He said today he had been naive and had underestimated how much Scottish values differed from those in England and Wales now. He's now a yes, although he still hates the SNP. He would vote yes and then vote for Labour in a subsequent Scottish Parliament.

I think this is going to depend a lot on what Scottish Labour do. If they start to warm to Indy then it's inevitable that it will happen.

My dad voted no and was the staunchest one I met. He wouldn't even listen to my arguments, never mind try to debunk them or debate with me. We actually properly fell out about it at the time which was seriously out of character for us both.

He said today he had been naive and had underestimated how much Scottish values differed from those in England and Wales now. He's now a yes, although he still hates the SNP. He would vote yes and then vote for Labour in a subsequent Scottish Parliament.

I think this is going to depend a lot on what Scottish Labour do. If they start to warm to Indy then it's inevitable that it will happen.

Why? They're the third party and got like 10% of the total electorate voting for them last month. They aren't really relevant.

Scotland voted by a bigger majority to remain in the UK, deal with it and respect the wishes of the Scottish people.

With the promise that to remain in the UK was our best hope of staying in the EU. That rug has been pulled from under us, despite us choosing to remain in it. We need to respect the wishes of the Scottish people and allow them to judge if this changes things for them.

Agreed. SNP will also need Labour support (I think) to stop or stall the Brexit legislation getting through the Scottish Parliament. We could use it at least to blackmail Westminster to allowing another indyref.

Agreed. SNP will also need Labour support (I think) to stop or stall the Brexit legislation getting through the Scottish Parliament. We could use it at least to blackmail Westminster to allowing another indyref.

Sounds very much like greens are on board for Indyref 2.

Why? They're the third party and got like 10% of the total electorate voting for them last month. They aren't really relevant.

Couple of reasons. Firstly it'll show people that there are options post Indy and that an Indy vote isn't necessarily a vote for an independent SNP government. That never really came up last time as far as I recall, but Salmonds' marmite nature undoubtedly cost us votes last time.

Secondly a lot of old people still vote labour and we ain't winning this without winning the argument with them.

With the promise that to remain in the UK was our best hope of staying in the EU. That rug has been pulled from under us, despite us choosing to remain in it. We need to respect the wishes of the Scottish people and allow them to judge if this changes things for them.
If the polls show a consistent lead for yes, the referendum will happen. Next few polls are crucial in gauging what impact not bring in the EU has on voters.

I don't know one voter, nor read any on here who voted on the promise to remain in the EU.

Can you back this up?

I do. Looks like we're even.

Check the threads at the time on here if you want further evidence.

Has anyone from the EU backed Scotland joining as a separate country or part of the UK?

Don't think there's anything official but rumours that Germans are open to idea of iscotland (perhaps as a girfuy to Westminster ) joining / remaining

Don't think there's anything official but rumours that Germans are open to idea of iscotland (perhaps as a girfuy to Westminster ) joining / remaining

The EU will now bend over and spread its cheeks for iScotland, will be literally the easiest accession any country will ever have to the EU

I don't know one voter, nor read any on here who voted on the promise to remain in the EU.

Can you back this up?

You've obviously never spoken to a Fermer in your life.

I know this is a hard time for you Deeboy. Stay strong.

You've obviously never spoken to a Fermer in your life.

I know this is a hard time for you Deeboy. Stay strong.

Can't help but feel a good dose of Schadenfraude for farmers just now, we told them the UK might leave the EU, where's your subsidies now? Would love to go and spraypaint that on a farmer's house tbh.

My boss (and his entire family) was a solid No voter which led to many lively debates at work before the indyref. He now says he's a definite Yes due to the absolute clusterfuck Westminster has made of things since.

Yes.

I voted No last time not because I don't want to see an independent Scotland, but my genuine gut feeling was that the timing wasn't right, for various reasons.

However, this changes everything. Scotland in the EU more than trumps (no pun intended) Scotland in the UK out of the EU. I know the same is for at least three other previous No voters I know, and I'm sure there's many more.

I can only apologise for my choice 21 months ago, given what we know now.

There is, however, a possibility that Scotland's continued membership of the EU could be made easier thanks to the Engxit negotiations. With there being no precedent and no specific process after article 50 is invoked, there's a chance (a small chance) of an opt-out from exit (if you'll excuse the double-negative) for Scotland in the event of independence within n days/weeks/months. Similar to the Northern Ireland opt-out from the Anglo-Irish treaty that created the Irish Free State.

There are also more general issues at play than the question of EU membership:

1) Scotland and England(+Wales) are now so far apart in their politics, previous no voters will start to question why we should stay together; and

2) Given 1), how long before we have another Brexit situation, i.e. a UK-wide referendum where Scotland's voice is essentially worthless?

Archived