Brussels Monday morning

It is a bankrupt assertion to say "haw, X is undemocratic. I don't even know who my representative(s) is/are" when that information is a Google Search away.

It is even more unforgivable when you are a regular poster on a politics forum and you hold and profess strong political opinions on the legitimacy of the relevant democratic body.

I bet you're absolutely seething that those morons votes mean just as much as yours.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet you're absolutely seething that those morons votes mean just as much as yours.

Yes. I am.

This vote is living proof why the electorate should be held in utter, unadulterated, unmitigated, contempt.

It is a bankrupt assertion to say "haw, X is undemocratic. I don't even know who my representative(s) is/are" when that information is a Google Search away.

It is even more unforgivable when you are a regular poster on a politics forum and you hold and profess strong political opinions on the legitimacy of the relevant democratic body.

Away and don't talk pish. Most people couldn't give the shiniest of shites who their MEP is and why should they. Irrelevant is an understatement.

Away and don't talk pish. Most people couldn't give the shiniest of shites who their MEP is and why should they. Irrelevant is an understatement.

It's absolutely fine not to know who they are.

It's absolutely not fine to complain the EU is illegitimate because you don't know who they are, when you are willing actively to argue about politics with other people, when it is stupidly easy to find out who they are.

It's absolutely fine not to know who they are.

It's absolutely not fine to complain the EU is illegitimate because you don't know who they are, when you are willing actively to argue about politics with other people, when it is stupidly easy to find out who they are.

Given that the member nations have given them very little power there's much less reason to know their names than your local councillors, which I'm ashamed to be a bit limited on too.

Given that the member nations have given them very little power there's much less reason to know their names than your local councillors, which I'm ashamed to be a bit limited on too.

That's also an incentive not to complain about their existence though.

But of course you know this.

Note the attendance allowance - 

"Because MEPs are required to move frequently between their constituencies and the European Parliament’s two main places of work (Brussels and Strasbourg), they can claim a subsistence allowance to cover expenses such as hotel rooms and/or flat rental and meals. For 2015, this allowance is a payment of €306 per day (up from the €304 payable since 2011), and is payable for each day that we attend an official Parliament meeting or are present at an EU institution (Luxembourg, Brussels or Strasbourg) during an official working day for work purposes. No receipts are required as this is a lump-sum payment, made if we sign the official register or the attendance list at the official meeting."

In practice, many claim 5 days for 3 days work. They sign in on Monday evening (up 9pmIIRC) and sign out on Friday morning (long queues around 7am). 

"Under the current rules (which began in July 2009) on presentation of receipts MEPs are refunded the actual cost of any travel tickets purchased by them plus time and distance allowances for attending official Parliamentary meetings." 

Note the attendance allowance -

"Because MEPs are required to move frequently between their constituencies and the European Parliament’s two main places of work (Brussels and Strasbourg), they can claim a subsistence allowance to cover expenses such as hotel rooms and/or flat rental and meals. For 2015, this allowance is a payment of €306 per day (up from the €304 payable since 2011), and is payable for each day that we attend an official Parliament meeting or are present at an EU institution (Luxembourg, Brussels or Strasbourg) during an official working day for work purposes. No receipts are required as this is a lump-sum payment, made if we sign the official register or the attendance list at the official meeting."

In practice, many claim 5 days for 3 days work. They sign in on Monday evening (up 9pmIIRC) and sign out on Friday morning (long queues around 7am).

"Under the current rules (which began in July 2009) on presentation of receipts MEPs are refunded the actual cost of any travel tickets purchased by them plus time and distance allowances for attending official Parliamentary meetings."

My plumber mate might even consider that wee number. As long he's away for half two though.

My plumber mate might even consider that wee number. As long he's away for half two though.

And the rules have been tightened. Before 2005, MEPs could travel on Eurostar (with MEP discounts) and claim first class air fares without receipts. British MEPs were making around £200 to £400 profit on a single trip. 

Most MEPs are wined and dined by lobbyists and interest groups. Then they are lots of working meals paid by the Parliament. Many MEPs rarely buy a meal in Brussels or Strasbourg.

And the rules have been tightened. Before 2005, MEPs could travel on Eurostar (with MEP discounts) and claim first class air fares without receipts. British MEPs were making around £200 to £400 profit on a single trip.

Most MEPs are wined and dined by lobbyists and interest groups. Then they are lots of working meals paid by the Parliament. Many MEPs rarely buy a meal in Brussels or Strasbourg.

He widnae like that. Too far from his hoose.

I think the wage was based on Italy where the MP's wages were fabulous to dissuade them from taking bribes from the Mafia. Uk MEP's got a big pay rise, Estonian ones thought they'd won the lottery.

I think the wage was based on Italy where the MP's wages were fabulous to dissuade them from taking bribes from the Mafia. Uk MEP's got a big pay rise, Estonian ones thought they'd won the lottery.

The salary isn't high. I bet a stack of people on this forum earn more than that. The perks are great though.

The Romanians had even bigger rises than the MEPs from the Baltic states. The expenses regime is worth a fortune to them. The same applies to the Eurocrats from those countries. 

Then there are the other non-declared perks such as the discounts for MEPs and Eurocrats in Brussels' shops. The Eurocrats used to have their own duty free shop in the Commission but I'm not sure if it's still there.

The salary isn't high. I bet a stack of people on this forum earn more than that. The perks are great though.

I'd say Ross in Switzerland probably gets the most if his claim of £9000 profit per annum profit is true, just because of the change in exchange rate.

Archived