Dunfermline v Dumbarton (league opener) match thread

17 minutes ago, adundeemonkey said:

Credit to Dumbarton for keeping going. If they can get a proper DM who will sit then you have the makings of a team.

We allegedly have 3, one was suspended, one normally plays lb but was benched in favour of the lad on loan from Aberdeen, the other was played as an attacking mid.

It appears that oor Stevie has been tactically naïve.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was easy to see why Dumbarton have been shipping goals, and it had nothing to do with your defense. The midfield seems full of guys who want to attack. Nearly everytime you guys went forward there was no one covering at all.

We should have had more today. Missed pen, wonder point blank save from Martin, goal line clearance at corner and save from reilly second half which was exactly where you want to put it.

Credit to Dumbarton for keeping going. If they can get a proper DM who will sit then you have the makings of a team.

One last thing, AJ better make sure we don't see another short corner. Total nonsense.

The shite thing is, we have a proper CDM. It's just that our gaffer has zero interest in playing folk in their actual positions.

Whe Stevo got subbed off he looked absolutely furious and I can't blame him. Guys like him being asked to play CDM whilst an actual CDM floats about in the final 3rd is fuckin tragic.

15 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Is everyone forgetting Scott Brown being torn to shreds by Falkirk at rb a few weeks after Alloa?

In the 1-0 game in December? He was a sub for the Mantis who had been zinged on countless occasions. 

The only thing I really remember from that day is that he started Jordan Kirkpatrick up front. Not as bad as the St Mirren game where he played him as a false 9 mind you, but not far off.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Don't agree. He's a handful but not a goal scorer.

That's what we need, Reilly can act as a goalscorer but he's not linking up well with Moffat at all.

He also scored 15 goals last season for a team who were bottom for 80-90% of the season, not bad for a player who is "not a goal scorer."

1 hour ago, albundy said:

We allegedly have 3, one was suspended, one normally plays lb but was benched in favour of the lad on loan from Aberdeen, the other was played as an attacking mid.

It appears that oor Stevie has been tactically naïve.

You've forgotten to add the club captain who was on the bench today.

Good to see us picking up where we left off last season. Some of our forward play is an absolute joy to watch but we still look a bit shaky at the back. Apart from a daft 3 minutes we were dominant and if Hoppy had cut back for Paton the score line could have got really embarrassing for Dumbarton.

Overall delighted to get a win.

12 hours ago, aftershocker said:

Pars fans being a bit harsh on our performance. Three of our starting eleven signed late this week so not too surprising we were a little disjointed at times. These included our keeper and LB.

I thought we looked dangerous throughout the game which was pleasing. At this level we simply cannot afford to defend like we did first 3rd and 4th goals. At 2-1 the game was very much open and I thought we were more comfortable at the back till we imploded

I agree with this.

We were far too static and stand off in the first half, no pressing and just letting Dunfermline all the time they wanted. Any team will play well if you let them.

The second half was very different and much more even with us coming much more into the game, having a go, closing them down and looking good going forward.

If we play like that all game we will do OK.

Take away the suicidaL defending, which was truly shocking and we well second half.

Unfortunately Hardie had a stinker but he was not the only one who kept giving away possession.

I am not as downbeat as some the others on here, we played some nice football in the second half and we are unlikely to make the same mistakes I'm defence again - they were extraordinarily.

If we can sort out the defence and play the way we played second half we have a chance.

Probably the strangest end to a game I've seen. We were absolutely strolling it at 4-1 and it should have been more and then give away TWO penalties in injury time. I think if there was another five minutes left we could have been in real danger of dropping two points which would have been complete and utter theft. If you think about the penalty miss, Martin's miracle save, Hopkirk firing right at the keeper and Geggan's flick wide, it could have been any score.

Lots of positives yesterday but enough negatives to cause concerns. Cardle's hat trick was excellent; very composed finishing. Higgy was impressive and also liked the look of Reilly. Keeper and defence though...yikes. No idea why Hutton doesn't turn that free kick around the post for a corner. Losing Ashcroft for Hibs could be a problem, does AJ play Martin, Wedderburn or even Fordyce alongside Ben?

Dumbarton were alright going forward at times but made horrific mistakes at the back and I was astounded at the amount of time we were allowed on the ball. Stevenson was utterly woeful, just like he was for Ayr against us last season. Liked the look of Robert Thomson though, some good turns and movement. Will cause a few problems this season.

1 hour ago, Shooboax said:

Yeah nice detective work. I know who you are too, we know each others names. Brill

Imagine asking for info about me at work :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stevie blaming Alan Martin and Frazer Wright for the third goal. Utterly bizarre, I know I'm always biased in favour of the 'keepers but quite how he can say "it's sloppy from the goalkeeper and Frazer Wright" here when Fraz looks like a terrified kid who hasn't played football before if beyond me. He passed him the ball where he had plenty of time to take a touch and turn.

Nae idea quite why Stevie needs to cover Wright either, we know he's a good player, and he's an experienced pro who will know he was at fault. Personally I'd rather he didn't start tossing the blame around in interviews, but if he's going to do it he needs to be correct in who he blames.

"Tough being a part-time club in this division" also comes up in the interview. As is now always the case.

Archived