Build new Trident now - Theresa May

FlyerTon

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, pandarilla said:

Corbyn being mauled by his own party here.

(Debate live on BBC news channel)

Was just away post this,its an absolute disgrace,basically they are just doing it because its corbyn,the sooner the labour party sorts its self out corbyn in /out the better

North Korea is a complete red herring (at the moment anyway).
They may or may not have warheads, but they can't deliver them. Their missiles implode after about 100 miles

Not that I support the renewal of trident but Corbyn is voting against his own parties democratically decided position, which as a leader who is hanging on based purely on being democratically elected by members, is hypocritical to say the least.

This is, in a nutshell, why he shouldn't be leader.

Not that I support the renewal of trident but Corbyn is voting against his own parties democratically decided position, which as a leader who is hanging on based purely on being democratically elected by members, is hypocritical to say the least.

And what would you be accusing him of if he was voting against his beliefs?

You'd be calling him a hypocrite.

Corbyn is getting unrelenting abuse from his own benches - good.

After the leadership vote, video of this and other debates can be shown as reason for kicking the c***s out of the party, and out off their cushy jobs. I would expect any CLP to deselect these scum at the earliest opportunity.

Oh, and too reply to GD's earlier request - I'm a Party member, and have been against nuclear weapons - any nuclear weapons - since childhood. The idea that if we're going down we can take the world with us has never appealed, in all honesty.

So a democratically elected leader should stand down because he is against a democratically decided position,no wonder the Labour party is in such a mess.Maybe previous leaders of this party influenced the way this democratically decided position was reached, and Corbyn now wants to try and take a different direction.Give him time.

Corbyn is getting unrelenting abuse from his own benches - good.

After the leadership vote, video of this and other debates can be shown as reason for kicking the c***s out of the party, and out off their cushy jobs. I would expect any CLP to deselect these scum at the earliest opportunity.

Oh, and too reply to GD's earlier request - I'm a Party member, and have been against nuclear weapons - any nuclear weapons - since childhood. The idea that if we're going down we can take the world with us has never appealed, in all honesty.

Caroline Flint just argued that by having nuclear weapons, we were able to get other smaller countries to get rid of theirs.

Think about that for a wee second. She's saying we need new nuclear weapons so that we can tell other countries not to build new weapons.

6 hours ago, jmothecat said:

a leader who is hanging on based purely on being democratically elected by members

Eh... the same way it works for every party then?

On another note. May saying she was perfectly prepared to push the button if it meant the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children was nothing short of chilling. How anybody can suggest they feel "safer" under her leadership beggars belief.

What was that daft old lady all about on BBC Scotland earlier when she thought the renewal of Trident was "a great thing"? Great?! ****ing seriously?! I suppose it's great for old people like her with 6 months left on their clock. Determined to take the world with them.

On another note. May saying she was perfectly prepared to push the button if it meant the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children was nothing short of chilling. How anybody can suggest they feel "safer" under her leadership beggars belief.

If you support retaining our nuclear deterrent, you're not going to say you'd never use it. Then it's just fucking pointless! Of course you need to say that you would be prepared to use it if the situation arose.

8 minutes ago, Sooky said:

If you support retaining our nuclear deterrent, you're not going to say you'd never use it. Then it's just fucking pointless! Of course you need to say that you would be prepared to use it if the situation arose.

To achieve what? The only people that would be crazy enough to launch nuclear weapons would be those who have no fear of dying themselves. If they ever fell into the hands of a group that would actually be capable of launching them, then they would go ahead and do it anyway.

As for deterring the likes of Russia, North Korea and any other country that currently harbours these weapons. It's nothing more than a political game. A very costly one. None of these countries would ever launch, because they're all using it as a deterrent. If they weren't. Then they would be crazy enough to fire them anyway, despite any other countries nuclear capabilities.

10 minutes ago, Sooky said:

If I understand the Tory position correctly, we will only use the nukes if we are nuked by an enemy first.

That means that we only have to worry about being attacked by 8 other nations.

It's pretty unlikely that France or the USA will attack us.

Russia & China could absolutely destroy the UK with their 1st strike capability - any of our missiles that got through would barely make a dent.

I'm not aware of any reason why India or Pakistan would attack us - their weapons are pointed at each other.

Is there any realistic scenario where we would individually be at war with israel without the USA and/or Russia (with their huge nuclear arsenals) being involved too?

That leaves North Korea. Firstly, they don't have a delivery system that could hit the UK. Secondly, why would they pick us first?

Tell me again how spunking billions on Trident deters any of these major military threats?

5 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

If I understand the Tory position correctly, we will only use the nukes if we are nuked by an enemy first.

That means that we only have to worry about being attacked by 8 other nations.

It's pretty unlikely that France or the USA will attack us.

Russia & China could absolutely destroy the UK with their 1st strike capability - any of our missiles that got through would barely make a dent.

I'm not aware of any reason why India or Pakistan would attack us - their weapons are pointed at each other.

Is there any realistic scenario where we would individually be at war with israel without the USA and/or Russia (with their huge nuclear arsenals) being involved too?

That leaves North Korea. Firstly, they don't have a delivery system that could hit the UK. Secondly, why would they pick us first?

Tell me again how spunking billions on Trident deters any of these major military threats?

Top table but.

Archived