Fish and Chips after the fitba

Glasgow fish suppers are nowhere near as good as those available to you coastal dwellers, but the Best Chippy at Mount Florida beside Hampden is quite good. Guido's near Pollok's park in Shawlands is also pretty good.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mon Dieu said:

'The Plaice To Be' was excellent. It was at Hampden Park on 21 May 2016.

I asked for the 'Scottish Scupper'. I got some vinegar Stokes while I waited for Liam Henderson to deliveeeeer… They snuck in some Kenny filler and a bit of Andy halibut — which wasn't nice. It was wrapped up by captain material in the box, so it tasted great overall.

Just missing the slice of Warburtons and goading of tart-bear sauce on the side. 

Personally I go for a special fish supper.

King Rib, haggis or black pudding.

Red or white when on the east coast.

Sausage supper with cheese and curry sauce is also surprisingly good.

On 07/07/2016 at 20:51, Bairnardo said:

Most of you will be lucky enough never to have to be in Shetland. However, most of you will be unlucky enough never to experience Frankies chippy. Best in Britain, won a pile of awards and their haddock supper is out of this world. Not like anything iv ever had anywhere else.

However, (blue touch paper...) any chippy who is unwilling to apply shitloads of vinegared down brown sauce for free (ram your fucking HP) can f**k off.

The haddock at Frankies is incredible. Would also highly recommend the chicken strips and they even do a very good spaghetti carbonara if you sit in. The chips aren't "best in the UK good", The Fort in Lerwick is the pla(i)ce to go for these as someone else mentioned.

On 08/07/2016 at 16:36, sjc said:

I was telling my girlfriend about that place the other day. Never tried the saucermeat though,

Used to go to Brae on a Friday night for a drink when working up there......all merry hell used to break out there!

Used to be strange going into my local pub and barely recognising a single face while all the workers were up there. Many a gas plant employee got the sack in the morning after being battered (pardon the pun) by the locals/their own colleagues in there. 

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Used to be strange going into my local pub and barely recognising a single face while all the workers were up there. Many a gas plant employee got the sack in the morning after being battered (pardon the pun) by the locals/their own colleagues in there. 

I remember sitting getting the craic with the General Foreman one Saturday morning when we got a visit from the Police looking for 12 named suspects after some guy got thrown through a taxi windscreen after an argument over "who's it was" the night before!

One of the guys had to be picked up on the boat after he packed his stuff and headed straight to Lerwick at 2am in the morning!

Some place!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

I remember sitting getting the craic with the General Foreman one Saturday morning when we got a visit from the Police looking for 12 named suspects after some guy got thrown through a taxi windscreen after an argument over "who's it was" the night before!

One of the guys had to be picked up on the boat after he packed his stuff and headed straight to Lerwick at 2am in the morning!

Some place!

It was crazy for a couple of years. I guess that's what happens when you take a couple of thousand guys to an island away from their families where there is nothing for them to do on their time off apart from drink. Petrofac ended up paying for CCTV systems for all the local pubs. Needless to say it's quietened down these days.

Fish supper and a single white is the correct order. 

Golden Fry in Lochgelly is the choice, I suppose to keep it on thread you could go there on your way home from Cowdenbeath if you wanted to visit two 'traditional' Fife towns in the one day. 

Silvery Tay in Dundee was my choice in my student days. 

Silvery Tay is really good. Do home deliveries as well

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I stayed away from the Mid Brae for that reason but was in gassed on xmas eve 2013. Had a great time all night then left and seemingly it kicked off seconds after we were out the door. Mental. Some of the folk who worked up there were true scumbags.

Still never had a great deal of sympathy for the locals since that island must have made so much coin out of the gas plant.

The pubs, taxis, takeaways and shops all made a killing but for a couple of years there were a good number of people who didn't benefit from any of this who couldn't go out for a drink without getting harassed or attacked by drunken fannies. I don't doubt that the majority of the gas plant workers were perfectly fine but there was a disproportionate number of them who were utter bams with no respect for the area they were working in or the people that lived there. 

Anyway, back on topic. I once had a sausage supper near Hampden and it was shite.

Never heard of Pepo's in Arbroath but used to go to the Bell Rock which was terrific, even when up in Aberdeen we would stop off at the Bell Rock on the way home.

In Motherwell the best Special Fish is in Onesti's with a shout out to The Rex as well.

I don't go to a chippy now unless it's the Tailend in St. Andrews, by far and away the best chippy I've ever been to. Chicken goujons supper with bread and butter is the perfect hungover scran, if you can be arsed getting out of bed and driving to St. Andrews that is. 

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't go to a chippy now unless it's the Tailend in St. Andrews, by far and away the best chippy I've ever been to. Chicken goujons supper with bread and butter is the perfect hungover scran, if you can be arsed getting out of bed and driving to St. Andrews that is. 

If I had a hangover there'd be no danger of me driving from Glenrothes to St Andrews.

25 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

If I had a hangover there'd be no danger of me driving from Glenrothes to St Andrews.

I actually don't live in Glenrothes anymore I just can't be hooped changing this. Tbf if it's just a mild one the drive is well worth especially when you get a nardinis afterwards. 

On 11/07/2016 at 22:50, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

I think the lack of opening hours is testament to just how good it really is. 

Sells so much during the day all day that if doesn't have to be open too late to make further money . 

Always great for a sit in supper and proper old school surroundings, ive never had anything bad out of it before . 

Got a fish supper from there the other night.

Excellent stuff.

Archived