Italian Football Thread

Kris.

wondering what the gesture for Astori is going to be before the derby della scala tomorrow evening - Hellas and Fiorentina have one of those peculiar Italian "gemmellegio" mutual respect things going on (cf Lazio and Inter, Genoa and Napoli etc),  so I imagine there will be some kind of tifo display before getting down to business...

question for the chievo sorts - the funky typeface for the names on the back of your shirts is very similar to that used on the curva sud "nec descendere nec morari" banner, which has been there in different iterations for years - can't believe that's just coincidence, does it have any scaligeri significance that you know of ?

cracking win - i'll live with the abject lack of quality from either side - but, what a double edged sword - don't like to see Chievo dragged in to the mire :unsure:

looking like two from six to go down with Benevento now, Cagliari are very much in the mix; Crotone have a real tough run-in with only two of their last dozen games against other teams in the "relegation group"; SPAL have three (and Benevento), Chievo three (and Benevento); Sassuolo four (and Benevento); Cagliari just one (and Benevento) so they could really plummet, and Hellas have three games against fellow strugglers (and Benevento) - going to make for a real scrap down there over these next couple of months - excellent stuff !

I suppose on the basis of the remaining fixtures you could say that Benevento have the better opportunities to pick up points, but they're already eleven points adrift and it's going to take a miriacle for il Stregoni to conjure up a Crotone-like escape...

15 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

question for the chievo sorts - the funky typeface for the names on the back of your shirts is very similar to that used on the curva sud "nec descendere nec morari" banner, which has been there in different iterations for years - can't believe that's just coincidence, does it have any scaligeri significance that you know of ?

ah ha - it's from the style of the inscriptions on the Arche Scaligere :)

bit like Hibs adopting the style of lettering from over the Edinburgh Castle entrance, or - errr - Hearts using the same one that's on the 14/18 war memorial

just call me mary beard...

Arche_scaligere_(Verona)_L'arca_di_Cangrande.jpg

tittly-1.thumb.jpg.32fad2a75accf0f8bf937d422d2de78d.jpg

chievo.jpg.0783fb9e6caffd502d33020903570ac6.jpg

hellas.thumb.jpg.74719dffc6107275d1b409f2b2da092c.jpg

Edited by Herman Hessian

Mental last few minutes of the Benevento v Cagliari game. Home side 1-0 up going into injury time, concede an equaliser in the 92nd minute and then a penalty after the ref consulted the VAR in the 96th minute before evenutlaly losing 2-1. 

I was only watching because I had a draw on my accumulator. Fucking VAR :(.

8 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Not watched Italian football in years, find it hard to watch football without a dog in the race, but I have had a quiet weekend so put it on this morning. Quick question, are Inter always this good? 3-0 up and Sampdoria have barely been out of their half.

In short, no. Inter hadn't scored an away goal from open play since November and had been on a pretty awful run of form in general. But when they (mainly Icardi) turn it on they can be unplayable. 

That said, for a team that had only lost twice at home and taken the scalps of Juve, Milan and Atalanta, that was a pretty spectacular case of shitting the bed from Samp. Completely fell apart after the first goal. 

35 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Huge goal that

Yup, especially after Napoli's previous two games and Juve failing to defeat Tesco Value. 

Run ins:

NAPOLI                        JUVE

Sassuolo (a)                 Milan (h)

Chievo (h)                     Benevento (a)

Milan (a)                        Sampdoria (h)

Udinese (h)                   Crotone (a)

Juventus (a)                 Napoli (h)

Fiorentina (a)              Inter (a)

Torino (h)                       Bologna (h)

Sampdoria (a)              Roma (a)

Crotone (h)                   Verona (h)

I actually think if Napoli can get a point away to Juve they'll win it. 

ETA, Juve obviously have the two legs against Real Madrid to play, as well as a Coppa Italia final against Milan.

Edited by jupe1407

I think Juve will win it, sadly.  Based purely on them beating Lazio 1-0 a couple of weeks back with their first shot on target in injury time.  Results like that win you titles.  Napoli getting pumped later the same day only rammed home the point.  Would love to see Napoli win it though.

6 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

I think Juve will win it, sadly.  Based purely on them beating Lazio 1-0 a couple of weeks back with their first shot on target in injury time.  Results like that win you titles.  Napoli getting pumped later the same day only rammed home the point.  Would love to see Napoli win it though.

i agree but it was nice to see them slip up when they were expected to easily beat SPAL, keeps it going for another while

I think this is going right to the wire. Juve obviously have the points gap and home advantage in the remaining fixture between the two, but they still have to face Roma and Inter, both away, so I'd argue they have a tougher schedule. Also worth noting that should they get past Real, they'd be playing a sequence of Napoli at the weekend, CL semi midweek, Inter weekend, CL semi midweek.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:24, DanMc99 said:

someone needs to stop juve 

their last game of the season - at home to HV, who absolutely, definitely won't roll over pathetically and gift them however many points/goals they need to secure the title; apologies in advance to the Parthenopes, who are already pretty much three points further behind than they might appear to be on paper.... :(

Edited by Herman Hessian