The Sons v East Fife, Tuesday 19/7/16

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

Expecting another tough game tonight and i'm sure Dumbarton will be fired up for this after the disappointing result against Forfar. I'd be happy with a point.

I genuinely don't know if we will be fired up for it. Post match Stevie said that taking a point from Station Park was a decent result, and he kept mentioning that it was still pre-season (which is evidently untrue, but there you go).

The one thing we've got in our favour is that we are a totally different side at home. It's bizarre. Last season I watched us get pumped 6-0 by QOTS, lose 1-0 to St Mirren having started with no strikers and genuinely look like relegation sticks on away from the rock.

Then the following week we'd have a home game and put in a performance that must have made the people who only attend home games wonder why we were sat in 8th place! The first 50 minutes of the 3-2 win over Hibs was sensational - some of the best stuff we've played for ages, whilst we finally broke the Queen of the South at home duck sticking 4 past them a few weeks after they stuck 6 by us!

To me the manager seems quite fine to do the same this season, he's been fairly open about saying anything we pick up away from home is a bonus if we win most of our home games. Major downer as watching us away from home is an expensive and pretty miserable way to spend every second Saturday.

I shall predict a 2-0 victory for Annan ourselves tonight, with the Toddfather scoring both. P&B will then break in Dumfries and Galloway

Well judging by the os Todd will be playing despite all the carry on about his contract status. In fact it's not even mentioned.

Craig Charleston is the referee tonight everyone will be glad to know. So it won't be dull.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well judging by the os Todd will be playing despite all the carry on about his contract status. In fact it's not even mentioned.

Craig Charleston is the referee tonight everyone will be glad to know. So it won't be dull.

It's not mentioned because he's now our player.  If it's found that we need to pay compensation then that's what we'll need to do.  We won't rip up his contract if we're forced to pay for him.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not mentioned because he's now our player.  If it's found that we need to pay compensation then that's what we'll need to do.  We won't rip up his contract if we're forced to pay for him.

Fair enough, I wondered if he might get a brief mention either way. Along the lines of "Whilst new signing Josh Todd is inline to make his home debut" to sort of calm everything down, or something like "red tape issues could prohibt Josh Todd from making his home debut" - though if he's signed now then the deed is done, and we might face having to cough up for him as you say.

2 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

I think teams should be able to play trialists in the group games and also increase the amount of subs that can be used to allow fringe players more game time.

Agree on the trialists front though I think the subs being increased would make it feel a bit too much like a friendly for what is (still) a fairly prestigious cup competition. Also, we don't have more than about 2 subs with senior experience :lol:

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Fair enough, I wondered if he might get a brief mention either way. Along the lines of "Whilst new signing Josh Todd is inline to make his home debut" to sort of calm everything down, or something like "red tape issues could prohibt Josh Todd from making his home debut" - though if he's signed now then the deed is done, and we might face having to cough up for him as you say.

Agree on the trialists front though I think the subs being increased would make it feel a bit too much like a friendly for what is (still) a fairly prestigious cup competition. Also, we don't have more than about 2 subs with senior experience :lol:

Our normal webmaster is off enjoying his holidays, which might explain why the preview is a bit different from normal. He played against Forfar so if we'd broken any registration rules it would've been flagged up by now I'd have thought.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our normal webmaster is off enjoying his holidays, which might explain why the preview is a bit different from normal. He played against Forfar so if we'd broken any registration rules it would've been flagged up by now I'd have thought.

I was talking to a guy last night and mentioned just that, you'd think if the SPFL/SFA/Whoever had an issue they'd have issued a statement about it, or charged us, or something along those lines.

Imagine missing a home Betfred Cup group stage tie with East Fife because you are on holiday. I'd be absolutely gutted.

Josh Todd says East Fife were a physical side last season but they could play!

Physical! We never laid a glove on anyone all season, best disciplinary record but we were physical! Wonder what he made of Clyde?

Archived