2016 NCAA Football

alexp

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clemson winning probably sees them into the top 4 but who knows? 

This SEC Championship Game is crazy. Assumed Alabama would win easily but they went behind quickly. They've not actually even had a first down yet. And are still winning! Two interceptions, one for a TD and one that set up a FG. And a punt block returned for a TD. Even with injuries Bama look good. Can anyone beat them in the playoffs?

Could be. I've not really seen much of the Huskies with them playing a lot in the 3 and 4 a.m. kick offs. There should be some decent bowl matches whatever happens though, with some teams out to prove a point and some good sides not just strong enough to get into the top 4 but who have played some good football.

On 12/7/2016 at 08:59, shieldhillsmithy said:

Sounds like a bit of a lamb to the slaughter for a season or two until the 49ers fire Chip Kelly and they bring him back.

The word is that he doesn't want to go back to Oregon. In the NFL you only have one rich guy to answer to instead of dozens like in college. He supposedly hated the part of college coaching where you have to keep all the donors involved and happy. If he wanted to go back to Oregon he would have been the one hired this time around. I have heard it suggested that he might like to go to a slightly lower school where they would be so excited to get him that the boosters might accept a slightly more distant relationship with the head coach. I find it hard to believe that he would turn down the money that comes with a big time gig though.

There's no need to go beyond 4 just because it's hard to choose the 4th team. The reason we went to 4 was to avoid controversies in years where we can't decide who the two most accomplished teams are. If there's any question whether you are in the top 4 you don't deserve a chance at the title.

The best reason to go beyond four teams is money. So expect eight teams at some point in the next few years. Eight teams would've probably seen Michigan and Penn State involved, which given the way the Big Ten worked out would make sense.

It's been a stinking year for my MSU Spartans so I'll just be glad when it's all over. Hogmanay last year I watched us getting killed by the Crimson Tide. We were nowhere near a bowl this year.

Archived