2016 NCAA Football

alexp

On 12/20/2016 at 20:40, MSU said:

The best reason to go beyond four teams is money. So expect eight teams at some point in the next few years. Eight teams would've probably seen Michigan and Penn State involved, which given the way the Big Ten worked out would make sense.

It's been a stinking year for my MSU Spartans so I'll just be glad when it's all over. Hogmanay last year I watched us getting killed by the Crimson Tide. We were nowhere near a bowl this year.

I agree that money is the reason they probably will go beyond 4 teams eventually. I don't think it's a good reason for anybody but the jerks making money off college football. It's not good for the players and I don't think it's good for most fans.

It wouldn't make sense for Penn St or Michigan to have a shot. Both lost two games with one of those losses coming to a very mediocre team. The history of college football is that every game all year matters greatly in determining the national champion. I like that it's different from other North American sports in that way. I'd rather go back to #1 v. #2 in a single game than move to 8.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked a certainty for about 10 weeks now tbf. Some of these bowl games are dross though. Teams with a losing overall record playing each other without their star players in half empty baseball stadiums. How do they even make any money? Surely ESPN aren't paying them that much. 

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Looked a certainty for about 10 weeks now tbf. Some of these bowl games are dross though. Teams with a losing overall record playing each other without their star players in half empty baseball stadiums. How do they even make any money? Surely ESPN aren't paying them that much. 

They are made for tv events. People watch them. Here's the ratings for the December 29 games.

Belk Bowl: Virginia Tech v. Arkansas - 5 million viewers

Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma St. v. Colorado - 4.6 million

Birmingham Bowl:  South Florida v. South Carolina - 2.3 million

Those are good ratings for a cable channel in prime time, let alone in the afternoon and early evening like the first two games. Whatever ESPN would have on at those times would probably be drawing in the hundreds of thousands.

For reference, here's some other cable sports nationwide broadcasts in the last few days.

Cavaliers v Celtics - 1.6 million

Mavericks v Lakers - 1.3 million

Flyers v Blues - 464K

Manchester United v Sunderland - 522K

Even the worst college bowl games like Eastern Michigan vs Old Dominion got 1.4 million viewers.

The NCAA in the past tried to limit the bowl games, but it was ruled illegal because college sports don't have exemptions from anti-trust laws like the pro leagues. As long as people are watching them on tv we will continue to have all these games. I am personally fine with all the games because I like having two weeks where I can flip on a college football game at any point I'm sitting home bored.

There you go then - never realised the viewing figure were so decent when you had such poor looking matches. I suppose the analogy is that a game between West Brom and Burnley will still draw a decent audience for Sky Sports compared to other events they could be showing at the same time? 

Bit disappointing to lose three games this season, but wins over Miami, UF, and Michigan salvaged a lot for FSU. Dalvin Cook will be a big loss for next season. We have a huge recruit in Cam Akers, but I doubt he will make a massive impact in his first year (although Cook did perform well in the second half of his first season). Hopefully we will learn from our mistakes from the early part of this past season.

As for the playoff debate, I'm starting to think that eight teams is the way to go. It isn't easy to differentiate conferences by strength. For that reason I think each power five conference winner should be given a playoff spot. Then maybe give a spot to the highest ranked group of five school, and the two highest ranked teams not already in. Seed the teams by ranking. Every week would still be very important.

13 hours ago, dr lector said:

Agree with the 8 team play off also believe that the play off games should be played last and after these bowl games . Think the tide tonight will have too much 

Wouldn't be surprised to see them winning by 20+.

Shame it starts at 2am French time and I'm working tomorrow, as should be a cracker. Deshaun Watson is special enough to beat anyone, Jalen Hurts looks flaky in comparison. That Tide defence, though... 

f**k it, might set the alarm for 5 and see if I can watch the 4th quarter...

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Was reading that Watson has dropped to the second round in draft projections, any idea why? Seems crazy to me.

I haven't started following any draft projections, but he was very turnover prone this year. Also, it's hard to project college stats straight to the NFL because college receivers are running wide open almost every play. The QB just has to distribute. It's something you have to see live to really understand the difference. Scouts might not think he is accurate enough for the NFL, but that's just a guess.

On 1/8/2017 at 14:31, alexp said:

As for the playoff debate, I'm starting to think that eight teams is the way to go. It isn't easy to differentiate conferences by strength. For that reason I think each power five conference winner should be given a playoff spot. Then maybe give a spot to the highest ranked group of five school, and the two highest ranked teams not already in. Seed the teams by ranking. Every week would still be very important.

Under your scenario Oklahoma, Western Michigan, Penn St, and Michigan would have been added this year. I'm not sure how you could claim any of those teams was the most accomplished team this year. Like I said, if you want to recreate the normal North American sports season then what you say is fine. I think one of the things that makes college football so exciting is that every game from first to last matters so much. It gives us elimination games every week to watch.

If people do insist on a playoff expansion it should be 6 with 2 first round byes. One of the problems with going to 8 is that we might end up with a NFL situation where teams care more about getting through healthy and not showing anything new on tape rather than winning their last game, which doubles as rivalry week. At least with 2 byes and a slightly smaller field teams at the top would always have something big to play for. Too much of what made college football unique has gone away over the past few decades. I'd hate to see rivalry week devalued.

I'm glad I don't bet.

It was a pretty entertaining game -- some interesting punting -- and altho it looked for a while like Alabama would put their foot down, credit to Clemson for keeping it close and leaving Watson and Renfrow to wrap it up in the dying seconds.

As much as I expected Alabama win, it's always nice to see Nick Saban angrily talking to himself.

Archived