An Open Letter To The SAFA

thegaffersview

Decent article again and although I agree with the frustrations I have a few points in response.
1. This argument has been done to death, it's pointless and just brings out the bitching and accusations of successful clubs.
2. Investigate away because any club at it arnt stupid enough to put it through their books, little brown envelopes won't show up on club accounts so what's the point?
3. As you say expenses arnt against the law at the minute so any club paying expenses in travel or equipment arnt doing anything wrong.
4. I suspect there are actually fewer clubs at this than people think, granted some will be bending/breaking the rules but a lot who are accused are just very successful and have a good infrastructure built over years from the bottom up.
5. A whistleblower number will just be abused by people wanting to inconvenience clubs or people that have annoyed them or that they feel are getting away from them/got favourable refereeing decisions etc. Disgruntled ex players, local rivals etc.

Sorry for my lengthy reply but I do enjoy your blog. I just feel the payment of players grumblings are getting a bit boring. Iv played amateur football for over 12 years now and have never been involved with any team or suspected any team I have played of playing players, I play for the love of the game and will be gutted when my legs can't play any more. My opinion is that If some teams want to pay players let them, what are they achieving? There are no financial rewards at this level so why bother? More fool them, I certainly wouldn't be wasting my money regardless of how much I had!

Correct make it a piramid sign contracts with zero release fees in amateur leagues then it puts the pressure on the funders to declare earnings and players play at their level if they get promoted to higher piramid s. Our structure allows it....... wonder why it's protected?

The only way to stop it is for teams not to turn up for these games 25 quid fine an lose 3 points. That's the only way to get the leagues attention

Or a better way is for everyone to turn up and just let these cheats walk over the top of you, stand still for 90 minutes, they won't be long in getting bored of it every week

I think it's getting made bigger than it should be. Is there a reason it's not allowed other than its not an amateur thing? Personally I don't think it matters. As a player in the ayrshire leagues can see two or three who do it blatantly. You saw with ksc last year doesn't always work.

Is it not the case though that the reason it is getting boring is because we keep talking about it but nothing is getting done. The whole point in this letter is to try to get the SAFA to sort this out. 

I agree but have you actually sent the letter to the safa or is it just an open letter on the hope they will read it. Chances are unless you post it officially to the office it will be ignored! You have the opportunity to name teams that do it, in a previous blog you mentioned personally seeing a brown envelope being passed, what was the team? Name and shame them and see what the response is. People with cold hard facts shouldn't be hiding, people with no facts shouldn't be making accusations!

this is why i left the game .but it is the team to blame not the players ..when i played if some team had came to me and said here is 600..sign for us .i would find that hard to turn down.. bot now it is 1000.1500,, and more ..best idea yet is dont play them.your 2 games would cost your team 50  and you save out of that just dont miss a third  game as that will get you fined hundreds..and the team playing. in a leauge of say 15 teams thats 28 games  they have to pay players for nothing..and every person would know they won there leauge without kicking a ball...i would not like a trophy like that.. 

It's a good idea in theory but doubt it would happen. Playing games after training twice a week is why you put the hard graft in. Personally I wouldn't want to just not play these teams that are apparently paying their players. I would rather play the game and work like fuc* to try and beat them ! Makes beating the cheats even sweeter. A lot of good well run clubs names get tarnished regarding this especially when a lot of folk accuse them of paying without proof. If anybody has any foolproof ways of proving that teams are doing this it would be welcome but it's happened for years and nothing's ever been done because proving it is the hardest part. Unless former players or officials come out and confirm it it will stay the same. And I can't see people putting themselves in the firing line !

Its a problem that has existed for as far as I can remember. I came out of Juvenile football in 1978 and into the amateur leagues, and even then, in my first season, I was given two pairs of boots, moulded and screw ins. In the early eighties our club were one of the founding members of the Caledonian League and the standard was great ,with the teams from our league dominating the amateur scene. Back then, there was rumours that clubs were paying money and the only knowledge that I have of that, is that two of my future team mates , who were returning from the seniors (Queens Park) were offered cash , to finish the remainder (8 games) of the season. In fact, the team that offered the money, play in the CSFL, so you can take your pick. I don't know if they still do, but they did back then.

I had a short spell with the Juniors, and on my return to amateur, I was offered a signing on fee with a leading amateur club. I didn't accept, and went back to play with my mates.

So , it was going on back then, and it continues to this day, and anybody who thinks this doesn't happen, is naïve in the extreme, or is turning a blind eye to it.

Its a problem that has existed for as far as I can remember. I came out of Juvenile football in 1978 and into the amateur leagues, and even then, in my first season, I was given two pairs of boots, moulded and screw ins. In the early eighties our club were one of the founding members of the Caledonian League and the standard was great ,with the teams from our league dominating the amateur scene. Back then, there was rumours that clubs were paying money and the only knowledge that I have of that, is that two of my future team mates , who were returning from the seniors (Queens Park) were offered cash , to finish the remainder (8 games) of the season. In fact, the team that offered the money, play in the CSFL, so you can take your pick. I don't know if they still do, but they did back then.

I had a short spell with the Juniors, and on my return to amateur, I was offered a signing on fee with a leading amateur club. I didn't accept, and went back to play with my mates.

So , it was going on back then, and it continues to this day, and anybody who thinks this doesn't happen, is naïve in the extreme, or is turning a blind eye to it.

Iv never said it doesn't happen however, a lot of clubs get tarnished with accusations simply because they are successful. Who is this club you talk about? Not having a go but unless we name these clubs then nothing will get done and it's all speculation.

Never really been against players getting a few quid if they can get it. Most guys have family's and if someone is silly enough to offer them cash to play then how can they turn that down !! 

My problem is with the managers who pay it . The way I see it they are cheating there way to the top, they can look at the days out at finals and the Leauge trophys but can they really look thereself in the mirror and say I earned that? The simple answer is no. 

Take a certain Ayrshire side  for example payed there way to the top been known for years , can there manager honestly say he earned those cups and Leauges the hard way? All those hangers on at that club running there mouths for years about this Scottish win and that Scottish win!!! But there's always been a black cloud over them and no matter how many times they boast about it or gloat and flaunt it , the hard facts are they cheated there way to it!! 

The aafa have known about this for years and now with so many aafa committee members on the safa commitee I can guarantee this will be slid under the carpet 

That's exactly what I meant people say aww av seen this or that's happened but don't name said teams. Just adds to speculation and starts a slanging match about who's paying and what , which means a lot of clubs who have never paid a penny get accused of splashing x amount of money when their taking money off players each week to keep a club afloat.

On 22 July 2016 at 22:16, thegaffersview said:

https://thegaffersview.com/2016/07/22/an-open-letter-to-the-safa/

Please take the time to read this and if you agree with the content then share it. It's time to get these cheats out of our game. 

As for the point about " unsavoury insentives" am taking that your talking about the Columbian marching powder being held as a carrot at a certain central Leauge club??  

Archived