Forfar v East Fife

If I can get finished work in time I think I'll head up to this. A point should be an enough to qualify for knockout stages and I would have gladly taken this before tourney had started. Not getting carried away but ive been impressed by our start to season and long may it continue. Mon the Fife

It's difficult to predict what'll be needed for a best 2nd place spot. We know what we've got to do though. Win the game, win the group.

Doubt Forfar are going to be mugs and I'm expecting another tough one. Robinson should be back, hopefully Wilkie's fit as well.

16 hours ago, east fife for life said:

If I can get finished work in time I think I'll head up to this. A point should be an enough to qualify for knockout stages and I would have gladly taken this before tourney had started. Not getting carried away but ive been impressed by our start to season and long may it continue. Mon the Fife

I doubt a point will do you. 2 points for a draw and penalty shoot out win would though. It will hopefully clear up a bit tomorrow but it's already clear 10 points would get anyone through. 9 points is going to come down to goal difference almost certainly. Some will go through and some will go out. 9 points and a +3 GD for you would be tight (presuming Dundee beat Peterhead and Forfar to win the group anyway). There's every likelihood two teams will get at least 10 in Groups C and D. You then probably have a runner up on 9 pts in E, F, G & H.

If you make 10 pts you'll get in. If you make 9 then it will likely be 2 from 5 on GD to get through and I suspect you'd need more than +3 to make that cut. If we get 9 we're bound to be more than that as we're +3 now with a game to go. Motherwell are at 0GD with games against E Stirling & Stranraer to come too.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt a point will do you. 2 points for a draw and penalty shoot out win would though. It will hopefully clear up a bit tomorrow but it's already clear 10 points would get anyone through. 9 points is going to come down to goal difference almost certainly. Some will go through and some will go out. 9 points and a +3 GD for you would be tight (presuming Dundee beat Peterhead and Forfar to win the group anyway). There's every likelihood two teams will get at least 10 in Groups C and D. You then probably have a runner up on 9 pts in E, F, G & H.

If you make 10 pts you'll get in. If you make 9 then it will likely be 2 from 5 on GD to get through and I suspect you'd need more than +3 to make that cut. If we get 9 we're bound to be more than that as we're +3 now with a game to go. Motherwell are at 0GD with games against E Stirling & Stranraer to come too.

I was having a look last night and thinking 9 points might not be enough. You could end up with 6 groups having 2nd placed teams on 9+ points but it does kind of rely of quite a lot of teams not dropping silly points. It's easy to look at these groups and think Dundee should be hoovering up 6 points, for example, but what are the odds on 5/6 teams picking up all the points you expect them to? I don't think anyone would be hitting the roof if Dundee dropped at point or two at Balmoor.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

I was having a look last night and thinking 9 points might not be enough. You could end up with 6 groups having 2nd placed teams on 9+ points but it does kind of rely of quite a lot of teams not dropping silly points. It's easy to look at these groups and think Dundee should be hoovering up 6 points, for example, but what are the odds on 5/6 teams picking up all the points you expect them to? I don't think anyone would be hitting the roof if Dundee dropped at point or two at Balmoor.

I've done a more full analysis on the Group E thread, and of course it will be a little clearer after tomorrow night.

However, it is near certain at least one or two teams will get 9 points and not go through. It's pretty unlikely 9 points and a +3 GD would be enough. It's going to take more than that I think.

5 hours ago, east fife for life said:

If Forfar are anything like the hatchet men that are Peterhead FC we will need him! Fingers crossed we get a half decent away support to help cheer us on to victory and unexpected group winners!

We're no angels but certainly not hatchet men like I remember Peterhead to be over the last two or three seasons (I didn't make it to our away game there last week). Great start for East Fife, indifferent for the Loons. If we play like we did against Dumbarton then we have a good chance.

Hopefully the game is about the two teams and not the ref we've been allocated.....

Archived