The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Player of the Year awards tomorrow evening and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

Fauldhouse used to have a Fans' Player of the Year award with slips given out to the Buckie Boys and all the regular supporters. I don't think there is one for us this year?? In a game of opinions it was always good to feel like you had your say and I think in the 5 years I voted I think my pick got the award just the once!!! [emoji23] I have a keen eye and see things others don't!! That's my excuse.

Tomorrow will also be a good chance to nip a few ears and ask people to their face about stories, gossip and news. Hopefully there are a few new faces coming in and if the deals aren't done then to hear they are a way down the line would be a good send off into the Close Season Summer Abyss. I'll update with the award winners and maybe even do a wee season summary on Sunday. Maybe even an alternative awards list...
Nominations are now closed for the John Sweeney Trophy awarded for "Services to Adversarial Harmony." The nominees are:
- Donald Trump: for services to global warming
- Kim Jong-il: Services to political and spiritual freedom and population tolerance.
And one final eponymous nomination...
- John Sweeney: Services to Football and the cause of all ills. Friend of the opposition fans, quiet and unassuming and uncontroversial hands across the divide peacemaker.

*The voting is open to fans of all teams on a one man one vote basis. Any opposition fans who haven't seen him get 2 votes (if they vote for him) or none if they vote for anyone else.
*NB local bookie CandyBets have suspended betting. Their MD, Mr Gerald O'Tipperary (better known as "BIG,GOT") commented, "Everybody and their maw have been in and wiped that Sweeney bhoy aff the board. Even that p***k Trump an aw that Coal Dust planet warming shite husnae made a difference. Ah think ahm fkd"..... voting is now opened.
The Inside Track Tips (TIT Tips) - I always thought the stocky wee full back Jung-il was decent and I played with him during my world travels. A rough tackler but didn't say much, one of they silent assassin types. The lad Trump though is full of shit. Played against him a few times, talks a good game though and some people can get away with that, but some guys I played with had him in their pocket. The lad Sweeney.. I only saw 90% of our games this season so don't know much about him... unlike a lot of the opposition fans.
Winners announced Sunday... there can be only one.

NAP* Mon the boy Jung-il.[emoji460]️ How faaaaaarr???

*how much am I missing football already?? [emoji30]

I'm disappointed that I didn't get nominated for the John Sweeney award. Never mind I will stay at home and clean my medals. Hope you have a great night in my old parish. 

It was only for people with influence. [emoji23]Fancy a medal off??? Bring them tomorrow night....
Who you voting for then in the JST if you ain't coming to vote in person?

I saw the Roch on seven occasions last season Including  the two Cambuslang games. I thought the keeper was great in the six games he played in.  He has my vote. 

Another vote for a big Starkie... although he never made the shortlist. He could have made it though as he has been accused of numerous things, inciting a fan to attack the opposition dug out and almost starting a riot being one of the tamer charges levelled at him by opposition fans.
I was down with the Young Team last Friday at a Nina Kraviz gig in Glasgow. As well as being about 30 years older than the average attendee and being called "Papa" and "auld yin" I was also accused of being an under cover CID & asked if I was selling drugs... by the same guy!! It is amazing how fanciful and colourful one person's mistaken hallucinatory reality can be.....

Keep the votes coming.....

An uncontroversial vote for Rab who scored the best goal of the season for me away at Neilston finishing off a ping ping ping perfect passing move. Rab has at times been our skill and key to open teams up and is a worthy recipient of a vote. [emoji460]️[emoji106]. Keep em coming...

Stephen has come right onto a game and cemented himself as a key member of the defence. He played well at right back when big Dom joined but settled straight back in at Centre Half when Dom went back to EK. I love a good defensive performance and I agree at times he has been fantastic and kept the ship afloat. A worthy recipient of a vote..
Voting still open...

My vote goes for Kieran Martin a lad that never lets you down , rarely injured and is quite simply a fan in a shirt but my other vote goes to big starky

Involved in the dug out incident also argued with a tea lady , got punched by a strange Cypriot mafia type and alleged smashed up the odd dressing room ,continually raced 40 yrds up field to argue every decision and flashpoint while telling everyone that the refs decision is final [emoji23]
I love that passion and long may it continue [emoji106]

Thinking about some of the stuff for your vote kinky and the amount of times I actually laughed out loud reminded me of what a brilliant rollercoaster time it was this season from the sublime to the ridiculous and if it's half as good next season then we are in for a treat once again .

Kinky what was you top 3 games this season

Mine are

3. Larkhall ( home ) - an astonishing support that day one that the old ground had not seen since the days of the late great jimmy mcgrory

2. Petershill ( home ) - a proper derby day an one that will live in the memory as the candy not only beat but truely demolished there there rivals from the super league and recorded there first home win over them since 1981 and the day the candy put down a marker to say we're no longer the wee team in the north/east of Glasgow

1. Cambuslang rangers ( a ) - what a day that was , we took a fabulous raucous away support to the best away ground in junior football and produced a performance and result fitting of such an occasion against a team that until then where simply untouchable and a special mention to our hosts who also made it a special day with fantastic hospitality by allowing us entry to the clubhouse bar and all there other facilities despite it probably being a game where trouble could have been expected and just shows you that if you treat people well it's usually repaid in kind as it was that that day .

A good solid vote for Keiron Martin, an unsung stalwart who was a barometer for the team. He played well, we played well. He struggled, we struggled.
Best games?? The ones you mentioned were great, the first half away at Neilston was the best I saw us play, the second half 4 goal rout against Petershill who were so far off our pace that they chucked it in my opinion. Larkhall away was probably the biggest game and if you take in everything about it, probably the most eventful and noteworthy... probably my favourite in a masochistic kind of way. I felt going into that game that we were hanging on in the race, we had stumbled? Weren't playing well, weren't scoring goals and ultimately I think the game was too big for some of us. We lost concentration and were out-mentalised. Sometimes you don't have to win to enjoy a game.
I am looking forward to tonight. [emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

I hear big Starkie is getting a certificate tonight as thanks for donating(slicing) 15 match balls this season to the old gas works site team over Royston Road. Another example of Candy Charity in the Community!!

Larkhall just left me emotional drained and it left a pain I had not experienced watching football for a long time but they often say you need to endure the bad times to enjoy the good times and that defeat and the collapse of our title/promotion dream certainly was a bad time
But onwards and upwards starting tonight with a candy boys reunion some beer and a chat certainly lifts the spirits and sends us into the summer recess full of renewed vigour kinky

Awards;

Goal of the Season- The 6th goal at home against Lesmahagow. Every player touched the ball and tapped home by Steph McDonald.

Top Goal Scorer- Jordan Logan. This is the first time in the Club's history it has been won 4 years in a row.

Committee Player of the Year- Stephen Bryson

Players' Player of the Year- Stephen Bryson.

Great to see a defender get the recognition and fully deserved in my opinion. #centrehalfsunion

MTC! [emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

And so it ends. The curtain came down on an event packed season last night as the awards were given out and an overriding feeling of optimism drowned out any remnants of the end of season disappointment.

Reality abounds and I think the players and staff know that they choked a bit, they are promising to be better, more prepared and stronger for next season.
There was a genuine good feel to last night and it was evident the players are really close which is always a big plus. I asked people questions directly to their face (I do smile when people say things like "ah know fur a fact thit...." when it is second hand or they haven't spoken to the person themselves[emoji23]) and having heard the stories of who is leaving, who is staying, who is talking to other clubs, who has had offers from other clubs, who we are after and who is definitely coming, I feel pretty confident that there will be a few surprises and that we will be a stronger squad next season. It promises to be a cracker.

A special thanks to not just the Candy fans but all the fans of other teams who have either just read this forum or have contributed. You have added to a great season for me and I hope you pop into our new season thread and chip in, have a moan, have a groan or have a go.... we do get the odd compliment too which is nice!!! This forum is just one big discussion with people talking sense, people talking pish and some real nonsense.. however... everyone is talking about the Candy and that can't be a bad thing for us surely?? I'll continue to write about the Candy, our opponents, the gossip and the general pish, nonsense, incidents, scandals, fact and fiction that surrounds us before during and after match day and how it makes me feel. I'll try to do it with a bit more style than the "the ref wiz pish" or "youz ur shite" brigade. There is nothing stranger than folk and some of the stuff I write you couldn't write it!!! It's time to close this Candy Shop.. a new one will be opening soon and I promise you all, the sweets will be sugaryer, tastier, more colourful and available for everyone.

When you come into the CandyShop you are a welcome visitor, even if you are just looking. I am sure more of you will visit next season and we can top our 63,000 views. A remarkable achievement and I am sure now that more and more people are aware of who we are and what is going on. None of this would be possible without a team who gave their all for the jersey, the club, the fans and all that the Candy represent. I loved being part of it this year and am counting down the days till pre season.

See you all there.
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived