The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back home after a late one away at Yoker where we held our own for a 1-1, going out eventually on penalties 5-4. Pretty even game where I think they shaded the first half and we shaded the second.

It has been eye opening to see the gulf (or lack of it) between us and teams in higher league. Barring a 30 odd goal swing on Saturday we bow out against Greenock on Saturday and the curtain comes down on an eventful and largely enjoyable season. No match report on tonight's game as I did it this morning, suffice to say the only noise from the away fans was when they scored their first penalty. I actually thought they were asleep or on a sponsored silence or at a Jack and a Victor fancy dress night for most of their still game.

They are a decent team with some good players but we did well and had a few chances to nick it, not as many or as clear cut as them though. Good luck to Yoker in the semis and see you all for the curtain call on Saturday. It has been a great season and a good building block for next. Hopefully we can make it next time.

Mon thenCandy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Lost on the lottery of penalties tonight,  5-4  after finishing 1-1 at full time.  Both goals also coming from the penalty spot.  

Thought Yoker had the better of the 1st half but the Roch dominated the 2nd.  Big B made a great difference after coming on,  held it up well,  won most balls that came to him,  laid it off well and brought others into the game. Looked like the Yoker defence were struggling to deal with him. 

Thought Sweeney had a great game after being moved to centre half,  Looked calm and assured.  Would like to see him play centre half more often. 

Pinio looks like he could do with being a bit more aggressive but i dont think thats his type of game.  Looks dangerous though when he gets the ball to his feet witha chance to run at the defence. 

Was a few good performances tonight,  especially in the 2nd half. A lot to be positive about,  also a shout out to big Starkie and Daw who also had good games. 

Good Candy crowd there once again. 

The steak pies were lovely and the hospitality shown was 1st class.  Good luck to Yoker in the semi final. 

MTC!!! 

Just looking back at last Saturday's result.
Wishaw got beat 3-2 at home.
I hope nobody on here thinks there would be any chance of Wishy raising the bar when they play the Candy.

No raising of the bar from us. Just another game that we looked to win, just as we do every game and on this occasion we did.

The truth of the matter for us is that at a crucial time of the season we lost a bit of luck and a few people went off the boil. There is no disgrace in that and to be right in the mix and still not mathematically out of it on the last game of the season is a great achievement. There are few junior teams in any of the leagues that will be able to say that about their season.

The fickleness and tunnel vision of some fans still amazes me and whilst we can all be armchair pundits and have an opinion, many don't have a clue about what they say, how they say it and when they say it. It doesn't sadden me it just reaffirms my faith in the fact that this too will pass and the good will out.

I stood with and had a good wee chat last night with the fans and one of the good guys and chief Candy bigot (haha!) Graffiti on the Wall. We discussed a number of issues including Saturday and the gal out, team selection over the last few weeks and our season overall. It is fair to say we disagreed on a few things but being the right minded and Considered Candy Colleagues that we are (!) we sort of were singing from the same song sheet, or as some other contributors to this forum over the past few days may say, "Singing from the same hymn book". We all have our favourite players and players we are not keen on, I dare say the gaffer and his team do too. However, there is more managing a team than picking your favourites and more to being a player than just turning up and pulling on a strip. I know from my limited experience playing and managing a team at a decent level that it is not only a thankless task but almost impossible to do well and to everyone's satisfaction. I had old guys who had never kicked a ball tell me to my face that I didn't know what I was doing as I had a kid on the bench who had missed training, wasn't good enough for our level anyway and had been playing shite. You need to let it ride and filter the wheat from the noise. I try to do it and laugh and take some comfort in the fact that we have passionate fans who are not as clueless as the aforementioned old guy.

For me we have done great this season, probably played better than the sum of our parts in a league where most players are pretty decent if not limited in their own way. For every silly point we have lost we have also picked some up.. nicking a last minute winner away at Bellshill against 10 men when your coach is chucked on in a last ditch attempt is cancelled out with a one nil defeat at VOC. We need a little dose of reality at times and I think personally that it is testament to the management team and the players how far we nearly went this season and I for one applaud them and back them all.

Last game on Saturday and I have enjoyed it so much this season that I almost offered to sponsor the match ball. However, having been back in Glasgow almost a year I am staring to regain some of the traits I had lost. Sponsor a baw?? Just for Big Starkie (POTY contender perhaps?) to boot it into Royston Road after 2 minutes? That might be a tenner a minute. I know a burd that is a £10 for 30 mins..... it's a game
of choices and that might be mine... to de-stress... it might not be your choice but it's a game of opinions after all.

See you all Saturday.

Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji23]

8 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Just looking back at last Saturday's result.

Wishaw got beat 3-2 at home.

I hope nobody on here thinks there would be any chance of Wishy raising the bar when they play the Candy.

Now that you mention it,I'm told that there was one guy who bought into that theory.:1eye

Looks like they might have to increase his meds on Friday or Saturday when he looks back on last night's result.;)

In the last 7 games St Roch's have won 2 drawn 3 and lost 2.

2 games v Wishaw = 1 point

2 games v Larkhall = 1 point

Might as well say it, we failed in the run in which in turn cost us promotion.

The truth of the matter for us is that at a crucial time of the season we lost a bit of luck and a few people went off the boil. There is no disgrace in that and to be right in the mix and still not mathematically out of it on the last game of the season is a great achievement. There are few junior teams in any of the leagues that will be able to say that about their season.

The fickleness and tunnel vision of some fans still amazes me and whilst we can all be armchair pundits and have an opinion, many don't have a clue about what they say, how they say it and when they say it. It doesn't sadden me it just reaffirms my faith in the fact that this too will pass and the good will out.

I stood with and had a good wee chat last night with the fans and one of the good guys and chief Candy bigot (haha!) Graffiti on the Wall. We discussed a number of issues including Saturday and the gal out, team selection over the last few weeks and our season overall. It is fair to say we disagreed on a few things but being the right minded and Considered Candy Colleagues that we are (!) we sort of were singing from the same song sheet, or as some other contributors to this forum over the past few days may say, "Singing from the same hymn book". We all have our favourite players and players we are not keen on, I dare say the gaffer and his team do too. However, there is more managing a team than picking your favourites and more to being a player than just turning up and pulling on a strip. I know from my limited experience playing and managing a team at a decent level that it is not only a thankless task but almost impossible to do well and to everyone's satisfaction. I had old guys who had never kicked a ball tell me to my face that I didn't know what I was doing as I had a kid on the bench who had missed training, wasn't good enough for our level anyway and had been playing shite. You need to let it ride and filter the wheat from the noise. I try to do it and laugh and take some comfort in the fact that we have passionate fans who are not as clueless as the aforementioned old guy.

For me we have done great this season, probably played better than the sum of our parts in a league where most players are pretty decent if not limited in their own way. For every silly point we have lost we have also picked some up.. nicking a last minute winner away at Bellshill against 10 men when your coach is chucked on in a last ditch attempt is cancelled out with a one nil defeat at VOC. We need a little dose of reality at times and I think personally that it is testament to the management team and the players how far we nearly went this season and I for one applaud them and back them all.

Last game on Saturday and I have enjoyed it so much this season that I almost offered to sponsor the match ball. However, having been back in Glasgow almost a year I am staring to regain some of the traits I had lost. Sponsor a baw?? Just for Big Starkie (POTY contender perhaps?) to boot it into Royston Road after 2 minutes? That might be a tenner a minute. I know a burd that is a £10 for 30 mins..... it's a game

of choices and that might be mine... to de-stress... it might not be your choice but it's a game of opinions after all.

See you all Saturday.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji23]

I am sure there is a compliment in there somewhere kinky [emoji23]

But after the heartache on Saturday it was just what the doctor ordered last night as after all the nonsense of last Saturday I spent half the night laughing as kinky was in fantastic form and the big fella typifies the junior support guys who want to talk football share stories and most importantly have a laugh.

On the night I thought we performed extremely well against a team a league above and in the end we lost in the Lottery that is a penalty shootout

The players the gaffer and his coaching staff can be very proud of the way they went about there business throughout the season and I look forward to going on another emotional rollercoaster next season with st rochs and there wonderful support

MTC [emoji172][emoji517]

Been a decent season for the candy on and off the feild  and are defo a team and community club on the up .. Been following all there off feild stuff and some of the clubs gestures  hv been great

glad uz are stull in our div as a enjoy a playin agaisnt youz always decent games and the crowd adds to it in my eyes... Every club has one or two loose cannons but thats part of game ...a  was prob one of Neilstons loud mouths on the drink on the touch line lol prob stull am

weve played some super league teams and super 1st teams  this season and a stull maintain st rochs 1st half display up neilston is best ive seen all season it was unreal should hv been about 8-0 at break

all the best

GOTW- I enjoyed the banter last night and remember you nearly drowning in Irn Bru laughing at something that was said. [emoji23]

The first half display at Neilston was definitely the best we have played in my opinion. It was effortless looking and our passing and movement was exceptional. Rab Maguire scored a goal in that first half that was simply a magnificent slick team passing goal and a joy to the eye. Logie also scored a early hit screamer on the bouncing turn and caught not just their keeper off guard but the entire crowd... it was a truly WOW moment, even for the Neilston lads I was beside. The sunshine was blazing too and it had all the feel of a stroll... till we almost lost a 3 goal lead in the second half... typical Candy though!!! [emoji23] I also think we were more than fortunate to beat Neilston at our place a few weeks ago and they are decent on their day, like most teams in this league.

Can't wait for Saturday too....last game and I hope the fans show their appreciation. What a season we have had...and it's almost over.[emoji20]

Mon the Pre Season!!

1 hour ago, muller said:

Let it go 'comrade' :rolleyes:

He's incapable of letting it go bud,he's like a wee dug wi a dirty bone and,from the day he first surfaced here....before he declared his support for the Roch...it was apparent that we were dealing with a wee troll(and not a very good one) with a sectarian agenda.

The only surprise is that he's still posting here as I've seen guys punted from the site for a whole lot less but,hopefully, the moderating team will give him some more attention in the near future.;)

The last day of the season tomorrow and it will be tinged with a little regret but the overriding emotion will be of pride on how well the lads fought all season and how close they came .

Football is not all about trophies and cups for me it's all about entertainment and I have loved every minute of this season

it was many things this season but never boring and that's why I will be disappointed and somewhat sad come 3.45 tomorrow as I will miss my weekly dose of that crazy drug called CANDY

5 hours ago, tommyboy said:

He's incapable of letting it go bud,he's like a wee dug wi a dirty bone and,from the day he first surfaced here....before he declared his support for the Roch...it was apparent that we were dealing with a wee troll(and not a very good one) with a sectarian agenda.

The only surprise is that he's still posting here as I've seen guys punted from the site for a whole lot less but,hopefully, the moderating team will give him some more attention in the near future.;)

Even worse i've added Yoker to the sneaky pete list.

"Don't sell that Roch mob any drink"'

Even worse i've added Yoker to the sneaky pete list.
"Don't sell that Roch mob any drink"'

Very strange given decent candy crowd and chance for yoker to make a couple of quid and they also had a police officer in attendance which considering the chronic lack of police officers on the beat in Glasgow was a complete waste of resources tho tbf the cop said " he was looking forward to the game and it's a lovely night" so least he enjoyed himself lol

Archived