Ayr United v Raith Rovers - Rivalry recommences

So it's been a while, a good break is what this fixture needed!  However with 6 days to go, Ayr and Raith will lock horns for at least 4 times again this coming season.  From what I can gather, Gilmour is most likely our only casualty for Saturday.  Will be interesting to see how we lineup, whether we play only 1 or 2 up top.  I think we may start with with just the one.  Our defence seems to be very well structured so far in pre-season and the Cup, only conceeding 2 over the 4 Cup games and both were in the 93rd and 94th minute.  Fancy a score draw of 1-1 or 2-2 to kick things off on Saturday.

Fleming

Devlin  Murphy  Meggat  Boyle

Docherty  Adams  Crawford

Cairney                               Forrest

Moore

Subs: Hart, Rose, Donald, Wardrope, McGuffie, Thomas, O'Connell

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

McCall did say we would have another three or four in in time for the start of the actual season; so let's hope there's some movement in time for this one....

A good cup draw today could sway a player or twos mind...

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Gary Harkins?

No one in particular, but i'm sure McCall will be in contact with players and after our decent start and the possibilty of a good cup draw, we might be a bit more appealing now than say 2/3 weeks ago.

A cup draw home or away to either old firm team would basically mean a BT game, would more or less pay for Harkins wages though which could very well mean he'd sign.  He is just down to wages I think.

Other than Cairney and Meggatt, I'm not too familiar with the majority of the names in the Ayr squad. Either way, it'll probably be a tough game. The worst thing that can happen is that it's similar to yesterday in that the opposition get one chance, take it, then sit behind the ball. Hopefully, it's quite an open game and if so it'll favour us. 

We've got a good few dilemmas for our team following yesterdays failure. I can't imagine we'd start Skacel, and both Barr and Johnstone didn't offer anything. I'd be happy if we gave Coustrain a run out from the start. Also, Osei could be used (if not, down to his general enthusiasm). I think we'll likely go with Vaughan and McManus up top, but it wouldn't surprise me if we went with Stewart in there somewhere. 

I genuinely think this is the first time in about 12 years following Rovers regularly, where I've seen us have a full squad where pretty much every player has a claim to a place. Hopefully we can banish the game against Alloa, get a good win with a solid performance and get back on track. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

A good cup draw today could sway a player or twos mind...

Let's hope so: the current side could grind out a few wins but would be massively short over the season. 

Expecting an in your face style performance from us. Think we will play two at front at home, but with a narrow midfield obviously.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Let's hope so: the current side could grind out a few wins but would be massively short over the season. 

At the moment, I think we are massively better equipped than Dumbarton who conceded 13 in heir 4 matches in comparison to our 2.  I think our current squad is very underestimated, however under staffed in certain areas and that would be the downfall if we don't get at l;east another 3 in.

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

At the moment, I think we are massively better equipped than Dumbarton who conceded 13 in heir 4 matches in comparison to our 2.  I think our current squad is very underestimated, however under staffed in certain areas and that would be the downfall if we don't get at l;east another 3 in.

I wouldn't go for massively; but we clearly are defensively. Primarily because we have a very hard working team whereas they have Stevenson in midfield. However when Adams picks up his injury we may struggle. Ideally, a centre half, two wide players and Harkins and I would be absolutely delighted. Realistically we will likely get one wide player in the next couple of weeks. 

I don't fancy a high scoring game for this one, would take a 1-1 to get the ball rolling. With two SPFL league one team of the year full backs and two centre halves that are in great form I don't see us conceding many. It really depends if the Raith forwards turn up as well..

In an ideal world we'd have a CB, 2 wingers and a striker in for this one. I've heard a few rumours about players were reportedly after but how true they are or how close the deals are to be being completed I don't know. 

Cuthbert

Thomson
M'Voto
Bene
Mchattie

Johnstone
Callachan
Matthews
Coustrain

McManus
Vaughan

Davo needs rested and Barr was absolutely awful yesterday so would play Coustrain instead..

Although I do think the team that started yesterday will start next Saturday as well for some reason..

Cuthbert

Thomson
M'Voto
Bene
Mchattie

Johnstone
Callachan
Matthews
Coustrain

McManus
Vaughan

Davo needs rested and Barr was absolutely awful yesterday so would play Coustrain instead..

Although I do think the team that started yesterday will start next Saturday as well for some reason..

Don't worry about Barr for this Saturday coming. He always runs riot against Ayr and I have a feeling that local boy Chris Johnstone will also turn it on with all his pals and family watching.

Archived