Your Football Ground

Some more pics of Boghead...the first is dated May 7th 1949, whilst the second was taken at a pre-season friendly (check the crowd !) with Rangers in the late 1950's.  Finally, an evocative view of the old 'Turnberry' end, featuring some beautiful lattice ironwork from the original  Ayrshire railway station roof.

Boghead 7th May 1949.png

Boghead 4.jpg

Turnberry End Boghead.jpg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Some more pics of Boghead...the first is dated May 7th 1949, whilst the second was taken at a pre-season friendly (check the crowd !) with Rangers in the late 1950's.  Finally, an evocative view of the old 'Turnberry' end, featuring some beautiful lattice ironwork from the original  Ayrshire railway station roof.

Boghead 7th May 1949.png

Boghead 4.jpg

How empty Garshake hill is in that first one!

Great thread.  Disappointed none of our supporters have added any as of yet.  He doesn't post on here much but I know PALMYLAD has some great photos, new and old.

Of the ones I've uploaded the first was from a match against our good friends Gretna, possibly the first home game against them.

The second is a shot of the Portland Drive terrace from our Scottish Cup Quarter Final against Dundee.

The third image is a flag display some fans organised ahead of a League Cup match against Rangers.  The game was televised and some fans decided it would look better on the TV than an empty terrace.

Queens V Gretna.jpg

Queens - Dundee 08-03-08.jpg

Flags - CIS Cup vs Rangers.jpg

Great thread.  Disappointed none of our supporters have added any as of yet.  He doesn't post on here much but I know PALMYLAD has some great photos, new and old.

Of the ones I've uploaded the first was from a match against our good friends Gretna, possibly the first home game against them.

The second is a shot of the Portland Drive terrace from our Scottish Cup Quarter Final against Dundee.

The third image is a flag display some fans organised ahead of a League Cup match against Rangers.  The game was televised and some fans decided it would look better on the TV than an empty terrace.

Queens V Gretna.jpg

Queens - Dundee 08-03-08.jpg

Flags - CIS Cup vs Rangers.jpg

Is that a massive Gretna support in the first one?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Boghead 7th May 1949.png

Boghead 4.jpg

Great pictures OKI III. There's not much sign of Hillfoot Avenue in the first one! Maybe I can make out a couple of bungalows? Is that Tim Whalen chasing the ball in the second one?

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Yep.  They filled their section of the "new stand" that is still the away section to this day.  They also filled the standing area opposite this (I can't remember if this was always given to away fans or if it was a one off), and as the photo shows overflowed slightly onto the Terregles terrace which wasn't in use at the time.

There was a lot of local interest in this game.  It dragged a lot of lapsed Queens fans out of the woodwork.  Not to mention a host of glory hunters who jumped on the Gretna bandwagon.

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Yes.

There was a big overspill that meant a section of the Terregles Street end was used for the first time in many years.  A section of terracing to that side of the main stand was also pressed into action.

The whole Gretna thing was a strange old episode down here.

On 4 August 2016 at 17:08, 1320Lichtie said:

First 2 are cool as f**k.

Second one is mine so I thank you 8)

Here's one I shot out the plane, coming back from the Faroes last week

image.jpeg

Yep.  They filled their section of the "new stand" that is still the away section to this day.  They also filled the standing area opposite this (I can't remember if this was always given to away fans or if it was a one off), and as the photo shows overflowed slightly onto the Terregles terrace which wasn't in use at the time.

There was a lot of local interest in this game.  It dragged a lot of lapsed Queens fans out of the woodwork.  Not to mention a host of glory hunters who jumped on the Gretna bandwagon.

I knew it was the away section I just didn't think Gretna could pull that many fans tbh. Was it the closest you have came to having a derby?

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I knew it was the away section I just didn't think Gretna could pull that many fans tbh. Was it the closest you have came to having a derby?

Gretna got pretty decent gates, considering the size of the place and the state of their ground.  Of course though, their existence in the SFL was almost exclusively this freak show of progress on the back of absurd spending.

The four games when we shared a division were very much derbies with big crowds and lots of edge.  Queens fans were pissed off by the 'fairytale' coverage and the way they targeted and gained the support of many locals.  

Annan is nearer though.  We've played them twice in the League Cup and came within a play-off of being in the same league four years ago.  But there's no ill will there.  Just like it was regarding Gretna, before it all went mental.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The four games when we shared a division were very much derbies with big crowds and lots of edge.  Queens fans were pissed off by the 'fairytale' coverage and the way they targeted and gained the support of many locals.  

There were a great number of Dumfries people who were seduced by the fairy tale.

Many of whom I was surprised at and dare I say disappointed with?

Posting a few of my favourites:

13680449_10211099896839612_1616640384654

11141319_10208171406469183_4618520609864

Best pitch in Scotland by the way.

1269931_10204042025557241_225933250_o.jp

^ This one is definitely the most accurate representation, in fairness.

282223_4855887361350_411824864_n.jpg?oh=

241125_4829228054884_1867935196_o.jpg

If I'm remembering right, Cappielow is the oldest still-used stadium in Scotland. Would rather have it kept in use, in admittedly shite condition, than any soulless generic lego stadium (looking at you, St Mirren).

Archived