Queen's Park vs. Airdrieonians - We go again

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Queens Park fans huffs at the end :lol::lol:

Airdrie were lucky not to be behind before the penalty. After that though Airdrie never really struggled. Should have killed the game at 2-0. Queens Park only really had 1 chance at 2-1. 

Was a decent game. Both teams can take positives from the game. Referee wasn't the best. 

First half we were slow, ponderous and predictable and got lucky thanks to a moment of rashness from their keeper. First 20 minutes of the 2nd half we were the opposite, played at a much higher tempo and should have killed the game through Schmidt to make it 3-0. After that we retreated a bit and tried to see out the game where our inability to defend set-pieces showed again. Losing an awful goal and a few minutes later they miss a header from 8 yards out to equalise.

Rolling the ball out to a midfielder with his back to play 18-20 yards has to stop, it took QP 5 mins to latch onto this and other teams will do the same. You can't do that at this level, the players are not good enough and there is no benefit in playing that way anyway, with their back to the play there's little they can do other than give it back to the keeper.

We have a lot to work on, the main positive today is that we won despite being pretty poor. However I can't remember the last time we started the season with a win so I'll enjoy tonight!

Very disappointed with the result with three awful goals to lose. Thought we started the game very well creating chances and really should of took the lead, especially the chance that came to woods. However, Murphy in goals was far too slow to reach the ball, therefore giving away the penalty and ultimately gifted airdrie the opener. First 30 minutes of the second half we couldn't find any rhythm and again lost a cheap goal from a corner. No idea who was marking the goal scorer. However there were positives to take. 1st half we played really well and that Miller's set pieces are fantastic. Also Conor mcvey once again put in a great shift in midfield and looks much more aggressive in his tackling. Definitely think we have enough to compete and ultimately stay up this year.

First game I've been to this season. That cup set up is an absolute farce so I wasn't encouraging it.

Played quite well. I was quite impressed with Schmidt Good movement and makes decent runs- should get behind any teams that try and play a high line this season. Scott Stewart looked a new man as well- far more confident.

The central defence needs someone that will take charge and attack high balls. Shambolic every time a cross or long ball came in that box.

We are going to lose goals and games this season if we continue with this carry on with the keeper and centre half passing it between themselves all through the game.

Strange game. Better side by a distance and completely comfortable until the penalty. Could have been a couple up. 

They looked a bit more alert after the break and we gave away a terrible goal. A bit concerning that we've lost similar against QOS and Thistle. Definitely needs work.

We nicked a goal back, a terrible one from an Airdrie perspective, and then went back on the front food. A header tipped onto the bar (MacPherson) and a great headed chance from Cummins which went just wide. The third goal was one of the most Queen's Parkish goals to lose. Battling for an equaliser and hit by a hideous deflection.

Airdrie will get better and so will we. They did what'll they'll do against most part-time teams and punished us by being more clinical. Someone mentioned our fans in the huff. A special mention for the specky seether in the pink Airdrie top. Thought we were going to require First Aid for him.

Feared the worse in first half hour we probably should have been a goal down before the penalty.
Looked comfortable in second half until they pulled the goal back .
Never really saw what happened for the 3rd goal.

And as other have said ref was poor

So far away from the park that I find it difficult to comment  on individuals! However, for what it's worth we we lucky to be ahead at half time but worthy winners in the end. You could see the confidence building. Thought Leitch was decent and Conroy was reasonable although he made some mistakes. On the negative side we are a total shambles defensively on dead balls. Can see the Lithgow long throws causing havoc next week.

Anyway, great to start with a win for a change.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Strange game. Better side by a distance and completely comfortable until the penalty. Could have been a couple up. 

They looked a bit more alert after the break and we gave away a terrible goal. A bit concerning that we've lost similar against QOS and Thistle. Definitely needs work.

We nicked a goal back, a terrible one from an Airdrie perspective, and then went back on the front food. A header tipped onto the bar (MacPherson) and a great headed chance from Cummins which went just wide. The third goal was one of the most Queen's Parkish goals to lose. Battling for an equaliser and hit by a hideous deflection.

Airdrie will get better and so will we. They did what'll they'll do against most part-time teams and punished us by being more clinical. Someone mentioned our fans in the huff. A special mention for the specky seether in the pink Airdrie top. Thought we were going to require First Aid for him.

Glad your taking it well :lol:

5 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Glad your taking it well :lol:

Eh? What part of my post suggested I was taking it badly?Fairly accepting that Airdrie won because they were more clinical.

Just now, Cooper81 said:

Airdrie won because were the better team. 

Maybe so. No idea why there's a suggestion that I'm taking it badly, though. Only time that'd happen is if we'd been pumped by an utter gang or done by a refereeing decison.

I'll take that.

Were poor in the 1st half and lucky not to be at least a goal down before the penalty.

Dominated the 2nd half and Schmidt should have put the game to bed. Despite his miss I thought he had a good game. Was making some incisive runs and I can see him causing problems for teams this year. Was a lovely ball from Leitch to set him up. I thought he did okay (although at times it was hard to notice him given how far away the pitch is). Assuming he signs he'll give us a bit more depth too which we've been badly lacking. We were able to put out a reasonably strong bench today. It might have been good for Daly or McLaughlin to come on but it didn't matter in the end. We're really struggling to defend set pieces and we were lucky QP didn't score another from one. Hopefully Boateng's arrival will sort that out.

Would like to see our 3rd goal again.

Scott Stewart is really growing into his role at right - back.

I like the style of football we're playing but it can be heart attack inducing at times and we'll get caught out. Definitely needs refined but I'm sure the players and the management team know that.

Positives and lots to work on too and we'll get better with Ryan back in the team.

Onwards to next week against Airdrie Old Boys.

Archived