General Chatter

Sooky

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This fencing bronze match is tense as f**k. 14-13 down with the first to get to 15. Been a fantastic comeback.

Ach shite, lost 15-13.

2 minutes ago, Sooky said:

This fencing bronze match is tense as f**k. 14-13 down with the first to get to 15. Been a fantastic comeback.

Ach shite, lost 15-13.

Didn't understand why he was so defensive - if you counter attack you have to not get hit otherwise you lose the point even if you hit first.

I used to play club hockey for several years. Not played now in a couple. In that time I appear to have completely missed the change from 2 halves of 35 minutes to 4 quarters of 15 minutes.

I used to play club hockey for several years. Not played now in a couple. In that time I appear to have completely missed the change from 2 halves of 35 minutes to 4 quarters of 15 minutes.

Only recently changed according to the commentator

Only recently changed according to the commentator

I've been meaning to start up again. Now even more encouraged if it's 10 less minutes of running with even more breaks...

8 minutes ago, Sooky said:

The sport they play now is a completely different game from the game I played as a youngster - moreover hockey on grass and hockey on AstroTurf are two very different games - as different as Field Hockey itself is from Ice Hockey.

Only at International level, and in the EHL (Champions League equivalent).

League games are still 35 minute halves.

Hmm, you'd think they'd aim for some consistency. I assume it's to try and make it more viewer friendly?

Just now, Sooky said:

Hmm, you'd think they'd aim for some consistency. I assume it's to try and make it more viewer friendly?

Pretty much.

Interestingly, Scotland is used for a lot of the trials of new rules, so if the club game does go to quarters, it will probably happen here first. We had self-pass, 2min greens, etc before anyone else.

Pretty much.

Interestingly, Scotland is used for a lot of the trials of new rules, so if the club game does go to quarters, it will probably happen here first. We had self-pass, 2min greens, etc before anyone else.

Aye that's true. Play yourself?

The sport they play now is a completely different game from the game I played as a youngster - moreover hockey on grass and hockey on AstroTurf are two very different games - as different as Field Hockey itself is from Ice Hockey.

I've been unfortunate enough to try it on grass a couple of times. It's absolutely awful in comparison!

Always thought what would be the 'easiest' sport to take up to make the next Olympics. I remember the British Handball team being set up for 2012 from people who had never even played it before.

Didn't understand why he was so defensive - if you counter attack you have to not get hit otherwise you lose the point even if you hit first.

Because that's what's he's good at. With a reach advantage and good timing a counter attack isn't a bad tactic.

Ref was a bit lenient on preparation IMO and that went in saffin's favour. You'll get that quite alot in foil tho but in a fight that tight what ref you get can make a difference. Margins just seemed to go against him. No card for the shoulder into kruse for example, I don't even think it was corps a corps that the commenators were calling for. It was jousting which is an automatic red, losing 2 points from the same phase can rile the calmest of people, would have been very interesting had the ref had the balls to call it.

Ultimately he was out paced in both the semi and bronze medal match, he did well to limit his opponents in that regard but it was always a danger.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Because that's what's he's good at. With a reach advantage and good timing a counter attack isn't a bad tactic.

Ref was a bit lenient on preparation IMO and that went in saffin's favour. You'll get that quite alot in foil tho but in a fight that tight what ref you get can make a difference. Margins just seemed to go against him. No card for the shoulder into kruse for example, I don't even think it was corps a corps that the commenators were calling for. It was jousting which is an automatic red, losing 2 points from the same phase can rile the calmest of people, would have been very interesting had the ref had the balls to call it.

Ultimately he was out paced in both the semi and bronze medal match, he did well to limit his opponents in that regard but it was always a danger.

I think the tactic has its place but with that Polish referee I think it was always going to be a struggle.

Archived