General Chatter

Sooky

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Although the schedules may not be identical -  at the close of the Tuesday at London 2012 we had 2 Silvers (Armitstead & Team Gymnastics) and 2 Bronze (Addlington & Equestrian Eventing). So we are ahead of that by a Gold over a Silver, with the day unfinished...

That said there's been quite a number of 4th place finishes so far - at home, maybe those become Bronze.

Perhaps to illustrate that, these were the only 4th places at London 2012:
* Lawrence Clarke, 110m hurdles
* Dai Greene, 400m hurdles
* 4x 400m relay
* Daley & Waterfield, 10m synchro diving
* Men's Hockey
* 4x 100m medley relay
* Kerrie-Anne Payne, 10km open-water
* Lizzie Simmonds, 200m backstroke
= 8

Only a couple of days into Rio and total is already:
* Richard Kruse
* Team Gymnastics
* James Guy
* Max Lichfield
* Hannah Miley
* Women's Rugby 7s
= 6

At home the extra atmosphere, support, adrenaline etc. helps people over the line.

It seems to me that similarly to London, none of our particularly strong sports have medal matches until later in the games. So we usually get a slowish start. I'm assuming that we'll be aiming for a similar haul to Beijing. I heard someone say that the host nation wins around 50% more medals than they do usually, though I have no idea if that's actually the case.

Held on there in the Rugby against a very decent looking Japanese side. Assuming they'll beat Kenya tomorrow and if New Zealand beat us, is it points difference to decide the order seeing as we'd all be on 2 wins? All 3 would go through seeing as the 2 best third place teams qualify, but it must make a fair difference of who we play next.

2 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Held on there in the Rugby against a very decent looking Japanese side. Assuming they'll beat Kenya tomorrow and if New Zealand beat us, is it points difference to decide the order seeing as we'd all be on 2 wins? All 3 would go through seeing as the 2 best third place teams qualify, but it must make a fair difference of who we play next.

Kenya are capable of beating both NZ and Japan. Other than Spain and Brazil, just about every team in the competition is capable of winning it.

9 minutes ago, Sooky said:

It seems to me that similarly to London, none of our particularly strong sports have medal matches until later in the games. So we usually get a slowish start. I'm assuming that we'll be aiming for a similar haul to Beijing. I heard someone say that the host nation wins around 50% more medals than they do usually, though I have no idea if that's actually the case.

Won 47 medals at Beijing.

65 at London.

Rio target is 47 or 48 depending how you define their target ("sport-by-sport ranges" v "overall target").

Kenya are capable of beating both NZ and Japan. Other than Spain and Brazil, just about every team in the competition is capable of winning it.

Ah so it's much more close than the women's game then? I remember Scotland won a series a few months back!

Just now, Sooky said:

Ah so it's much more close than the women's game then? I remember Scotland won a series a few months back!

Definitely. France beat Australia earlier, then got cuffed by South Africa. SA play Aus tomorrow, and that should be a tight game.

Yellow cards are huge difference makers in these games.

If you happen to be up at 3:30am, there are 2 swimming finals that we've qualified quickest for. May not win, but seems like decent medal potential. IMG_1470775552.690907.thumb.jpg.2eab6b41 IMG_1470775565.830458.thumb.jpg.d015b055

1 hour ago, Accies1 said:

Someone's done a piss in the diving pool! 05d6e69c80e32778961fc580d866d82e_thumb.jpg

Balding was talking about it to some guy there, they don't know what's causing it but think it might be some form of algae. All the divers will probably die in their sleep. :(

Archived