League 2 Attendances

Poor showing across the board. Hopefully ours pick up to what they usually are after we get a decent run in. There was no way the extra 100 or whatever at our open day was included in the official crowd figures either by the way, would've looked better if they were. About 10 Berwick fans.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just wrote a lengthier post but the internet connection went down and I lost it. Basically the crowd at Edinburgh City seemed good to me: over 4 times what they got in LL, and above their LC section crowds v Hamilton and Livingston.

Rest not quite up to last season's averages - although they are lifted by derbies etc. - but maybe the 'drawn-out' start to the season with 4 LC section games and poorly-attended Challenge Cup R1 ties dampened any "start of a new season" buzz.

Cowdenbeath's recent averages in tier 4 were 421, 471, 262 and 306 - the first 2 in promotion-winning seasons - btw.

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:
I just wrote a lengthier post but the internet connection went down and I lost it. Basically the crowd at Edinburgh City seemed good to me: over 4 times what they got in LL, and above their LC section crowds v Hamilton and Livingston.

Rest not quite up to last season's averages - although they are lifted by derbies etc. - but maybe the 'drawn-out' start to the season with 4 LC section games and poorly-attended Challenge Cup R1 ties dampened any "start of a new season" buzz.

Cowdenbeath's recent crowds in tier 4 were 421, 471, 262 and 306 - the latter 2 in promotion-winning seasons - btw.

Elgin is always going to be a poor crowd for us, they had a few down mind you. Two successive relegation's is going to kill anyone's crowd.

I take it the figures you quote are the averages for our last four seasons in tier 4 which were 08/09, 05/06, 04/05 and 03/04 which I don't really see what has to do with today's crowd.

The only way to address the decline in attendance is to reintroduce alcohol to the terraces. 

carry oots allowed.Crowds flock back.

Simple.

canny see any issues with that.

Just now, Lawro said:

The only way to address the decline in attendance is to reintroduce alcohol to the terraces. 

carry oots allowed.Crowds flock back.

Simple.

canny see any issues with that.

Football crowds probably did die a bit with pubs being able to open all day and the ban of drink in 1980. When I first started going to Central Park in the mid 70s loads of folk had carry oots at the game:lol:

The bottles of champagne getting popped in the coo she'd in the 70s/ 80s wiz incredible Andy. Or wiz it spumante? Cannae remember. Ah wiz pissed.

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Football crowds probably did die a bit with pubs being able to open all day and the ban of drink in 1980. When I first started going to Central Park in the mid 70s loads of folk had carry oots at the game:lol:

I remember being at George Best's first game for Hibs at Easter Road v Partick Thistle, I think with Alan "fuzzy hair" Rough in goal for the jags. When Georgie went to take a corner, a fan handed him a can of lager and Georgie drank it before he took the corner from the left hand side of the field. Down the slope I believe. Over 20,000 thousand at that game and I remember a regular Hibs fan saying, "look at all the part-time Hibbees"! I was a Hearts fan at that time. Anyway off topic. Get the big name players or player back in to the Scottish game and the fans will come to see them. ie Craig Beattie to Edinburgh City pulls in the biggest crowd of the day in league Two. Big Names have pulling power but staying power is a different matter completely. If they don't perform, like in Beattie's case today, the fans will drift away knowing it's just their swan song.

11 hours ago, Lawro said:

The bottles of champagne getting popped in the coo she'd in the 70s/ 80s wiz incredible Andy. Or wiz it spumante? Cannae remember. Ah wiz pissed.

Don't try to be posh Lawro:lol: you lot had bottles of Pomagne not the real stuff. I remember folk standing at the halfway line trying to hit the linesman with the corks don't know if anyone ever managed it.

I was too young to take part but it was funny as feck to watch.

The problem for towns like Arbroath and Forfar is that a large chunk of United's support live in Angus. I'm 17 and a lot of the boys I went to school with loved football but had only ever been to one or two actual games in their lives because they "supported" Man United, Arsenal etc.

I used to live near arbroath about ten years ago parents still in the area and I never see anyone sporting local tops (except match days of course) whenever I am up. As you say it's either old firm or English Premier ship. It's extremely hard to compete with huge teams like that.

I remember being at George Best's first game for Hibs at Easter Road v Partick Thistle, I think with Alan "fuzzy hair" Rough in goal for the jags. When Georgie went to take a corner, a fan handed him a can of lager and Georgie drank it before he took the corner from the left hand side of the field. Down the slope I believe. Over 20,000 thousand at that game and I remember a regular Hibs fan saying, "look at all the part-time Hibbees"! I was a Hearts fan at that time. Anyway off topic. Get the big name players or player back in to the Scottish game and the fans will come to see them. ie Craig Beattie to Edinburgh City pulls in the biggest crowd of the day in league Two. Big Names have pulling power but staying power is a different matter completely. If they don't perform, like in Beattie's case today, the fans will drift away knowing it's just their swan song.

To the second half of your post I fully agree I expect queen of the south home crowds to rise over last few seasons with Dobbie making his return.

Alchol at the game would be good but there are far too many idiots who would spoil it for others

I know a guy from Houston near Paisley that supports Real Madrid. How did he bypass the OF as well as St.Mirren or Morton to say his 1st team is Real Madrid?!

Growing up in Stonehouse in south Lanarkshire the majority of people were Rangers fans, then Celtic and then the odd Motherwell and Accies fan. Myself and my brother were the only 2 Clyde fans at primary school until we went up to Strathaven and there were a handful more Clyde fans but as always the OF have the vast majority round here. They all come out the woodwork on OF game days especially.

Hopefully attendances pick up across the board. But an issue in this league is the travelling involved for a lot of the away games. So good effort by guys from Elgin, Berwick, Annan etc that make the effort most weeks.

I used to live near arbroath about ten years ago parents still in the area and I never see anyone sporting local tops (except match days of course) whenever I am up. As you say it's either old firm or English Premier ship. It's extremely hard to compete with huge teams like that.

Doesn't matter whether it's Arbroath, Ayr, Ardrossan or Annan it will be exactly the same. Been a big improvement recently I'd say the clubs put a lot of work in with the local youth.

In regards to attendances I've said this elsewhere but I've no idea why amateur/junior clubs all over the country play games at 2pm on a Saturday. People go to games right up until they're 16/17/18 then have to decide between continuing playing now their Sunday boys football is done or going to the football. I stopped going for a few seasons because I was playing and I know so many that still only turn up midweek or when their games are off at the weekends cause of weather/free week or whatever.

Sure that'll be the same all over the country. It's shite having to choose one or the other. A midday ko would even be fine. Could still easily do both. Sure a lot of the young lads that were home and away regulars last season for us will have this dilemma now. Shite.

Don't know how we would do it
But the 1 st and 2nd should be regionalised the travelling for fans is ludicrous ok there will still be the occasional 100 mile plus trip but I bet crowds would increase pyramid could feed into both

But the 1 st and 2nd should be regionalised the travelling for fans is ludicrous ok there will still be the occasional 100 mile plus trip but I bet crowds would increase pyramid could feed into both

Regionalisation isn't for me at all.

Couldn't disagree more tbh. Leave that to the juniors. Scotland's a small country. As long as the authorities are sensible with scheduling fixtures it's not a problem.

Eta: Berwick/Annan/Stranraer/Peterhead/Elgin/ICT/County are the only clubs that are really out the way anyway and they're spread out all across the divisions. Vast majority of clubs are in and around the central belt.

Crap crowds yesterday but a lot of people away on holiday just now plus it was far too warm yesterday to expect people to come out to watch football,needs to be a whole lot colder,doesn't feel right unless your frozen to the bone....winter football...bliss

12 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Crowds going down but prices going up. Work it out. £13 for our game yesterday. No right for 3rd div fitba

I agree.

Even worse is the 33% increase for concessions from £6 to £8. A guy in front of me yesterday had 2 kids with him. £29 for him and his 2 kids - for a Division 2 match :thumbsdown.

Regionalisation doesn't make much difference because of the way the clubs are located geographically.

If you look at most clubs it makes remarkably little difference. All you get rid of are the Annan-Elgin or Stranraer-Peterhead trips.

I've calculated it before for Berwick and you were talking 15% reduction on mileage or similar.

Instead of having 2 trips to Annan and 2 to Elgin, you'd simply have 2 to Annan and 2 to Stranraer.

North
Arbroath
Brechin City
Cowdenbeath
East Fife
Elgin City
Forfar Athletic
Montrose
Peterhead
Stenhousemuir
Stirling Albion

South
Airdrieonians
Albion Rovers
Alloa Athletic
Annan Athletic
Berwick Rangers
Clyde
Edinburgh City
Livingston
Queen's Park
Stranraer

Downside is you're no longer playing nationwide football - and how might that affect profile, attractiveness, prestige, media coverage, sponsorship, LC entry etc.

Archived