"Scotland Has Too Many Clubs" - Ann Budge

Am sure a newspaper ran this last year, but, is there an actual point to East Fife, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath, Elgin and others?   Do they really contribute anything to the Scottish game?  Its not as if they produce future top league stars, and its all well saying they have xxxxx die hard fans and a tradition, but so did Woolies, JohnLewis and Prestos?

48 minutes ago, Siley Myrus said:

Am sure a newspaper ran this last year, but, is there an actual point to East Fife, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath, Elgin and others?   Do they really contribute anything to the Scottish game?  Its not as if they produce future top league stars, and its all well saying they have xxxxx die hard fans and a tradition, but so did Woolies, JohnLewis and Prestos?

Is there an actual point to football at all?

Producing players for the likes of Partick Thistle or Dundee isn't exactly something that's going to justify anyone's existence, is it. When, in the grand scheme of things, any club in Scottish football could disappear and the world would barely notice.

57 minutes ago, Siley Myrus said:

If there is so little point to them, why do others continually post about them?  Woolies went bust and disappeared but with the brand resurrected (see Rangers for a football equivalent) whilst John Lewis is still very much on the go and run as a partnership (equivalent to fan ownership).  Prestos was bought by a rival - I look forward to Dunfermline purchasing Cowdenbeath. :lol:

1 hour ago, Siley Myrus said:

You ask, what is the point to smaller teams  and do they contribute to the Scottish game ?  

Obviously you haven't thought this one through. 

Brechin City have recently given two up and coming managers the chance to cut their teeth in the senior game .  One is now the Northern Ireland manager the other is at Dundee United.  So yes I would say the smaller cubs definitely have a part to play on this evidence alone.  

Factor in the part they play in their communities , bringing youngsters into the game through boys clubs etc and you begin to see that the smaller clubs are a vital component.  

2 hours ago, Siley Myrus said:

Ok, do away with the diddies. Where would the "big" teams go when they get relegated or need to start again after they f**k up?

Small clubs shouldn't have to defend themselves on the 'what to do they contribute' point anyway, as if totalling-up the number of young players they have brought through is the only measure to justify their existence. You don't look at the Scottish game then conclude that its only purpose is to underpin a national team plus a few clubs that represent us in Europe?

Malta is only slightly bigger than Clackmannanshire with less than a tenth of Scotland's population, so that isn't a sensible parallel. Not sure why people see having twenty fewer clubs in the national divisions as meaning clubs would no longer exist. Most of Scotland's 950 or so Saturday afternoon teams already play outside the SPFL. Bo'ness United vs Alloa makes more sense than Stranraer vs Alloa from a logistical standpoint when part-time players are involved and you would still get a decent sized crowd along to watch it. Regional divisions at the top part-time level would not be the end of the world for the clubs involved.

At the highest level of regionalisation Alloa would still play Stranraer. Nice try though :)

Just now, Zen Archer said:

vvvvvbig team

Hide contents

th?&id=OIP.M5c485fbecadd16f571da7d17394a

As always, a stunning post from yourself that adds greatly to the conversation.

8 minutes ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

At the highest level of regionalisation Alloa would still play Stranraer. Nice try though :)

Which is of course part of the problem with the idea of for example turning SPFL1 / SPFL2 into SPFL North / SPFL South...

It's a couple of seasons since I did the calculation - i.e. the clubs will have changed a bit - but it made remarkably little difference. Berwick's travelling only went down something like 10% or 15% (I recall I did two calculations - one for our fans and another for our players who assemble in Edinburgh for away games). It's since the majority of clubs are concentrated in the central belt, and the rest are dotted around the fringe. You have to divide the central belt very arbitrarily, and you still end-up with about as many long trips as before - just 2 Stranraer and 2 Annan, instead of 2 Stranraer and 2 Peterhead.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It disgusts me anyone can seriously suggest killing a football club.

Correct ...........Mind you , The Rangers fans went along with it for years before realising !!!  :rolleyes:     A good job us diddies can see through the sheisters and are prepared to fight back. 

I don't give a f**k about Budge.

Nelmsy should have been the one elected to the board. He seems really positive about Scottish football which is completely refreshing and alien to the people in charge.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't give a f**k about Budge.

Nelmsy should have been the one elected to the board. He seems really positive about Scottish football which is completely refreshing and alien to the people in charge.

Yeah, his plan of getting smaller clubs to sacrifice home ties against the Old Firm for "money spinner" games in America halfway through a season sounds exactly what we need.

5 minutes ago, Siley Myrus said:

i will see your Brechin and raise it with Elgin.  Anything ever of note, other than eccie burd dancing at Ibrox.  

Depends on your definition of "anything of note", seeing as youre clearly an attention seeking child, I expect it to be Champions League trophies.

Yeah, his plan of getting smaller clubs to sacrifice home ties against the Old Firm for "money spinner" games in America halfway through a season sounds exactly what we need.

Sacrifice? Or get them as far away from the city of Dundee as possible and earn more money? Positive thinking.

24 minutes ago, Siley Myrus said:

i will see your Brechin and raise it with Elgin.  Anything ever of note, other than eccie burd dancing at Ibrox.  

Yeah.  Put 11 players on the park each Saturday without running up masses of debt.

Something so many of our "top flight" teams seem to struggle to do.

On 8/7/2016 at 22:30, D.A.F.C said:

I think the setup is fine other than in the top two leagues your stadium should be at least fit to watch football in some comfort.

Full time should be optional but I would have all seated stadiums and facilities for disabled people and decent toilets and catering.

Below the championship I would localise it and have open entry for any team. Junior or senior.

Feel free to explain how terracing precludes watching a game in comfort.

After that, elaborate on your criteria for the minimum standard of catering required.