The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to the East Kilbride fans on here as seem a decent bunch, but the sooner you guys get promoted and get the f*#& out this league, the better it will be for everyone.

The money thrown at the running of the club this season must be eye watering, I would love to know the ‘real’ cost of running this squad in the 23/24 season, probably put Berwick’s recent losses in the shade. Never know, so not really something can measure.

But the beauty of it is that if someone has that money to spend, and is happy to do so and write it off, then it’s difficult to argue with how EK are going about it.   

I think you guys are stick ons not only to win the league (not a bold prediction) but to come through both play offs and into the league. Be shocked if the bottom club in SPFL2 could cope with you.

I suppose there is always the chance that another team will try the same route next season, Tranent seem to be retreating in the throwing money about stakes, but maybe they will regroup and have another go next season.

Edited by Cowdenleith

The problem this season for us is injuries. 

We have around 5 first team players out, including the captain Liam brown.

We also sent Ally Roy to alloa on loan, so down a "striker".

I wish I could share the thoughts of you cowdenleith, watched too many EK teams of the past blow it.

2 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I wish I could share the thoughts of you cowdenleith, watched too many EK teams of the past blow it.

How many signed players do EK have?

The size of the squad is not the issue.  The point is how many players can you put out on any given day. We have have 2 starters out with long term injuries, another 4 with medium term and 4 playing from game to game. Doesn't take Einstein to do the maths. Add in the normal  bumps and scrapes and our availability is well compromised.

Yes we are fortunate that we can bring in players,  no apology for that, should we simply whinge and  not ?

27 minutes ago, ekok said:

The size of the squad is not the issue.  The point is how many players can you put out on any given day. We have have 2 starters out with long term injuries, another 4 with medium term and 4 playing from game to game. Doesn't take Einstein to do the maths. Add in the normal  bumps and scrapes and our availability is well compromised.

Yes we are fortunate that we can bring in players,  no apology for that, should we simply whinge and  not ?

Could you not utilise the 20’s squad, who are doing well at the minute?

We do almost every single game and a couple of the lads have stepped up well. Not fair on them to expect them to be the answer now, their time will  come.

Bottom line is we do not and will not feel sorry for ourselves, we will simply get on with things. To do otherwise would be ludicrous given the budget and infrastructure we have.

This might be a first , a post about a game  today with nothing negative to say.

Firstly absolute thanks to Berwick for top class welcome, class. The atmosphere as ever top notch and pleasure to visit, good people. 

Given the weather,  pitch played well , was never going to  be a classic,  both teams adapted . As always we bossed possession, but Berwick press was spot on. Apart from a few forays, not really under pressure but neither did we create much.

We were asked a different question today, superb response,  this team can dig in, scrap, make the tackles , do what it takes. 

Bottom line, excellent 3 points and up the road.

On 04/10/2023 at 20:31, Oystercatcher said:

Ffs Roy just signed in summer now he's shipped out on loan already. Another example of mk thrown money about

Mon the papers 

On 04/10/2023 at 20:01, Cowdenleith said:

I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to the East Kilbride fans on here as seem a decent bunch, but the sooner you guys get promoted and get the f*#& out this league, the better it will be for everyone.

The money thrown at the running of the club this season must be eye watering, I would love to know the ‘real’ cost of running this squad in the 23/24 season, probably put Berwick’s recent losses in the shade. Never know, so not really something can measure.

But the beauty of it is that if someone has that money to spend, and is happy to do so and write it off, then it’s difficult to argue with how EK are going about it.   

I think you guys are stick ons not only to win the league (not a bold prediction) but to come through both play offs and into the league. Be shocked if the bottom club in SPFL2 could cope with you.

I suppose there is always the chance that another team will try the same route next season, Tranent seem to be retreating in the throwing money about stakes, but maybe they will regroup and have another go next season.

I'm not privy to any inside info at the club, or our long-term future plans, but with fairly recent developments at the club and a lot of talk (from multiple clubs) about the cost of sustaining at L1/L2 level, I can see our 'chasing the dream' approach and spending reigning in a bit to more of a 'competitive challenger/in the mix' Lowland League team than one of the stick-ons for the league. We were pretty much toe-to-toe in the Summer with EK, in terms of recruiting at their pace (and I actually thought we'd brought in the stronger personnel at the time, parking injury problems and the fact we spent a few weeks managed by Max Christie) but East Kilbride have been a different animal with it as the season has unfolded - God knows what happens there if they *don't* go up this season. That said, our form's improved a lot recently. Our games coming up against EK will suss a lot out in terms of where we're at. If you've got it, make it work for you, and best of luck to everyone at EK apart from their manager... as has been said they seem like a decent bunch of supporters and are gonna be one of the title favourites in this league most, if not every season. 

Edited by Omnishambles

5 hours ago, passbackdave said:

Ffs Roy just signed in summer now he's shipped out on loan already. Another example of mk thrown money about...

On loan to a club two divisions higher, no less. From what I've seen of highlight clips, EK look like they could more than hold their own at that level, so that's no surprise. Berwick throwing money at achieving promotion this season was as daft as what East Stirlingshire were doing when Kelty were around. If you can't win the financial arms race against one club that is spending silly amounts of money it is better to wait for a season when you have a legitimate shot at it to really push the boat out on the team budget.

10 hours ago, amigan said:

Where do EK get the money from?  Is it a benefactor or are they really well run?  Always quite liked them for some reason and wouldn't mind them going up

A property developer called Jim Kean is the sugar daddy AFAIA. Think he used to play for Clyde, Hamilton Accies and Ayr United but not 100% certain on that.