Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

Finally been playing a save consistently whilst offshore, getting back into the swing of things.

One thing that I am struggling with is set-piece routines. How do most people set them up? Per match depending on your squad or have a couple of generic routines set up. I definitely feel that I should be getting a better return of chances than what I am.

I bought the Touch version this year instead of the full fat version. Really enjoying it.

I have a save with Ayr United were I am in the Premiership after five seasons and looking good for a mid table finish. 

I also have a Celtic save were I am three seasons in and am trying to build a good young Scottish side as far as possible and hopefully win a European trophy.

Just into the third season of my Livingston save, secure in the Championship aiming for promotion to the Premiership at the moment. Managed to purchase the stadium from the council after cutting corners and signing up free agents from the Championship. Majority of the budget is going into wages to pick up free agents at the moment, spending around 3k-5.5k on wages per player now.

Star player just arrived for us, Sammy Ameobi with Shola Ameobi on as a coach. Extended our scouting range to Europe also allowing for some decent younger free agents to come in. One of the only players left from the current team is Knox who is apparently a leading Premiership forward right now at 18. Worth 656k but turned down 950k from Blackburn and a few other teams.

Qxp9lcx.png

f**k Dundee.

Got May for £575k, and Docherty for £300k. Sold Clark for £400k to help pay for it. Hoping for a high finish to help take up the gap, but crowds have fired up since Mays return

Are Cowdenbeath always overrated? I remember a couple years ago they were winning the Championship in the few saves I had, and in my save this year they've got back to back league wins and look like they'll be challenging at the top of the Championship. Bit different from how they're really doing :lol:

Morton update.

Finished 8th in my first season in the Premiership.  Defending remains a significant problem with only 3 league clean sheets and the second worst defensive record in the division.  Coming up with an established back 4 seemed to be a problem.  Young Lewis Strapp has claimed his spot at left back but in the centre of the park I tried a number of combinations to limited results.  Thomas O'Ware ended up playing his way back into my team after some really poor performances and big mistakes while Gavin Gunning got dropped after some bad games.  Jordan McGregor played well down the stretch so he may get the spot in the next season, but he will be pushed by an academy product Reece Bain who had a couple of good games before going down injured.  Right Back is a concern though, Michael Doyle and Lee Kilday both struggled to make an impact.  I handed a debut to a 16 year old academy kid in the last couple of league games and he played very well (a 1-0 win over Inverness and a 7-1 thumping of St. Johnstone) so that could be a plan going forward.  

Elsewhere Andy Murdoch won all sorts of awards, his 18 assists were by far the best in the division and he had the highest average rating.  Unfortunately it still wasn't enough to get a Scotland call.  Gary Oliver led the way up front with 25 goals, I also made Aiden Nesbitt's loan spell permanent after the season ended.  Looking good to continuing to develop my young and exciting Morton team. 

On 26/02/2017 at 09:44, LiviLion said:

Are Cowdenbeath always overrated? I remember a couple years ago they were winning the Championship in the few saves I had, and in my save this year they've got back to back league wins and look like they'll be challenging at the top of the Championship. Bit different from how they're really doing :lol:

Started a save in League 2 with them and walked the league. Todorov is a cheat code man.

On 2/26/2017 at 09:44, LiviLion said:

Really? Haven't played FM for a few years but sounds like I need to get back into it :lol:

16 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Morton update.

Finished 8th in my first season in the Premiership.  Defending remains a significant problem with only 3 league clean sheets and the second worst defensive record in the division.  Coming up with an established back 4 seemed to be a problem.  Young Lewis Strapp has claimed his spot at left back but in the centre of the park I tried a number of combinations to limited results.  Thomas O'Ware ended up playing his way back into my team after some really poor performances and big mistakes while Gavin Gunning got dropped after some bad games.  Jordan McGregor played well down the stretch so he may get the spot in the next season, but he will be pushed by an academy product Reece Bain who had a couple of good games before going down injured.  Right Back is a concern though, Michael Doyle and Lee Kilday both struggled to make an impact.  I handed a debut to a 16 year old academy kid in the last couple of league games and he played very well (a 1-0 win over Inverness and a 7-1 thumping of St. Johnstone) so that could be a plan going forward.  

Elsewhere Andy Murdoch won all sorts of awards, his 18 assists were by far the best in the division and he had the highest average rating.  Unfortunately it still wasn't enough to get a Scotland call.  Gary Oliver led the way up front with 25 goals, I also made Aiden Nesbitt's loan spell permanent after the season ended.  Looking good to continuing to develop my young and exciting Morton team. 

If you need a decent right back buy Mark Finlayson from Falkirk for 80k or something. He's 18, I sent him out on loan for a season, the season after that he was brilliant. He picked up 7 goals and 10 assists which is quite decent for a right back.

38 minutes ago, DavidMccorquodale said:

If you need a decent right back buy Mark Finlayson from Falkirk for 80k or something. He's 18, I sent him out on loan for a season, the season after that he was brilliant. He picked up 7 goals and 10 assists which is quite decent for a right back.

I'll see what they are asking for him in my game world.  Falkirk just got promoted so they may try to hold on to him.  A fall back plan is bringing Celtic's Anthony Ralston either on loan or permanently.  Celtic will probably want a good 300k for him so that may be a bit steep, I have some League Cup games coming up against lower league opposition, will give me a chance to evaluate how good this 16 year old academy kid is.

21 hours ago, DavidMccorquodale said:

Wasn't able to get the guy you suggested, he didn't want to leave Falkirk, but I did sign 23 year old fomer Liverpool and Oldham man (and Northern Ireland International) Ryan McLaughlin on a free.  He has yet to make his debut as I just signed him after 2 league games but hopefully will solve my problem.  I had tried to give the 16 year old a chance, he played well in the league cup group games against lower league opposition but struggled in the premiership.  Kilday's future looks grim, in 2 starts this season he has been dire and I just signed Kyle Benedictus from Raith for 110k so he should be Thomas O'Ware's partner in the heart of defence. O'Ware has been excellent thus far while other CB options have been poor.

Bought this a few weeks back and got a decent Clyde save on the go following a total Holocaust of a first attempt. Or at least it was decent, until Brexit happened and the Bosman ruling was abolished in late 2017. 10% chance of that occurring, it would appear. So, unfortunately, it's looking like I'll have to start again and either remove Brexit or the Bosman ruling part of it in the editor as it'll be absolutely no fun from hereon in. Fucking Tories.

Bought this a few weeks back and got a decent Clyde save on the go following a total Holocaust of a first attempt. Or at least it was decent, until Brexit happened and the Bosman ruling was abolished in late 2017. 10% chance of that occurring, it would appear. So, unfortunately, it's looking like I'll have to start again and either remove Brexit or the Bosman ruling part of it in the editor as it'll be absolutely no fun from hereon in. Fucking Tories.

I don't think you can remove it from the game but you can delay the start date

Yeah you cant remove it. Led to some monumental heads gone on the SI forums about it. Folk crying about how unrealistic it is, despite the fact they'd been signing 16 year old from La Liga on regen day, for their Crewe side.

I've seen a few posts/videos on FM forums saying you can disable it in the pre-game editor, so I'll probably just fire up another save. Two seasons of work lost, but my main save on every FM is a Clyde "road to glory", which is made borderline impossible without PCAs. They really ought to have put in an option on the game creation screen whereby you can disable "real world" simulated events or whatever. I applaud the realism they try to bring to the game but I doubt Brexit will affect football that much, unless the Tories do indeed go for the jugular and strip everyone of their human rights.

Dunno if it's a bug but really pissing me off, I play 2 strikers up top poacher & target man. During the game they'll randomly switch roles so for example, Cummings is the poacher, Holt is the TM then without warning Cummings is the TM and Holt the poacher. Really fucking me off tbh.