Do Celtic fans really care about Palestine?

Hey

I often surf this forum for ideas and intrigue when it comes to the Scottish game, though I've never signed up or posted. First time for everything I guess. I am a Rangers fan - cue head-bursting frustration from other supporters reading this - and following a conversation with a few Celtic fan friends after the game last night I just wanted to find out a bit more. Sometimes, this forum moves away from baiting and point scoring and tosses up some fairly decent discussion.

Anyway, what amazes me about this Celtic Green Brigade Palestine Flag self-righteousness is not that it happened, but that some fans actually believe they were driven by a selfless and unwavering passion to help free the Arab state.

Do Celtic fans genuinely believe that they're the footballing equivalent of Che Guervara riding a big massive green and white horse, shielding the entire world from the evils of corruption and battling the pork sword of the Establishment one unjust regime at a time?

Or, are they more like George Galloway riding a worn out mule on Blackpool beach, clawing and grasping for his 15 minutes of fame to be restored and that anti-establishment rhetoric recognised, as his agents and owners sell tickets to fans of Celebrity Big Brother to raise money for their plush villas in the Maldives and passers-by cringe and wonder if they should phone someone for help?

I think it comes down to two things. Celtic did this for Palestine - or they did it for themselves. I don't think it's two ways, and from my early research and Celtic supporting friends, I believe they couldn't give a toss about Palestine. Like they have not one single iota of interest in freeing the Arab state, but are more interested in attaching the club to something again considered anti-establishment. Most of my friends agreed.

This is not a stab at Celtic fans as a whole, but half the Green Brigade in particular couldn't even spell Palestine let alone sculpt anything resembling an argument about the politics of the Middle East.

Prove me wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say there is a small number who do seem to know and care about Palestine, which is backed up by the fact they have organised collections and in some cases visited Palestine to carry out charity work. The majority are hangers on who like the notoriety and publicity.

3 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

I see the creep is back either that or Bennett has decided its time to log back in with him lol

awww and greeny for each other lovely couple :)

He's been slowly "creeping" his way back on after a wee "quiet" period after his posting of dubious pictures.

3 hours ago, ForegoneConclusion said:

Hey

I often surf this forum for ideas and intrigue when it comes to the Scottish game, though I've never signed up or posted. First time for everything I guess. I am a Rangers fan - cue head-bursting frustration from other supporters reading this - and following a conversation with a few Celtic fan friends after the game last night I just wanted to find out a bit more. Sometimes, this forum moves away from baiting and point scoring and tosses up some fairly decent discussion.

Anyway, what amazes me about this Celtic Green Brigade Palestine Flag self-righteousness is not that it happened, but that some fans actually believe they were driven by a selfless and unwavering passion to help free the Arab state.

Do Celtic fans genuinely believe that they're the footballing equivalent of Che Guervara riding a big massive green and white horse, shielding the entire world from the evils of corruption and battling the pork sword of the Establishment one unjust regime at a time?

Or, are they more like George Galloway riding a worn out mule on Blackpool beach, clawing and grasping for his 15 minutes of fame to be restored and that anti-establishment rhetoric recognised, as his agents and owners sell tickets to fans of Celebrity Big Brother to raise money for their plush villas in the Maldives and passers-by cringe and wonder if they should phone someone for help?

I think it comes down to two things. Celtic did this for Palestine - or they did it for themselves. I don't think it's two ways, and from my early research and Celtic supporting friends, I believe they couldn't give a toss about Palestine. Like they have not one single iota of interest in freeing the Arab state, but are more interested in attaching the club to something again considered anti-establishment. Most of my friends agreed.

This is not a stab at Celtic fans as a whole, but half the Green Brigade in particular couldn't even spell Palestine let alone sculpt anything resembling an argument about the politics of the Middle East.

Prove me wrong.

most of them cant work out why their knuckles are always bleeding

Archived