Aberdeen v ICTFC

OFW

Horner Warren Meekings Tremarco

Tansey Vigurs

Polworth Draper King

Fisher

Wouldn't mind seeing Vigurs dropped to be honest and maybe play Polworth there and, if he's fit enough, stick Doran on the wing. No reason why Mulraney couldn't take that spot either.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not seen much of Caley but I think you'd be better off playing Draper deeper. If he's further forward, in the space between our midfield and defence then he can't dominate the game. We've always struggled with his and Tansey's physical presence, and we will again unless we deploy O'Connor in midfield.

11 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

I've not seen much of Caley but I think you'd be better off playing Draper deeper. If he's further forward, in the space between our midfield and defence then he can't dominate the game. We've always struggled with his and Tansey's physical presence, and we will again unless we deploy O'Connor in midfield.

Apparently (couldn't make the game) he was one of our best attacking options playing there against St Johnstone.  He's played there a few times and his power and forward drive cause problems for defences.  I could see us reverting back to playing him deeper in this game though - St Johnstone at home is a game we were always going to look to win and attack in more than Aberdeen away.  Foran might decide to take a more defensive approach and play Draper deeper.  

Tansey has been poor so far this season and, being honest, was lacking in the second half of last season.  The last standout game he had was when we beat Aberdeen in February this year, maybe this fixture will bring something out of him.  Although Vigurs has been getting mixed reviews this season I can't see him being dropped and RiG has the team pretty much spot on I'd imagine, just how we set out is up for question.

One positive is that we have a lot of attacking options on the bench now.  Doran, Mulraney, Boden, Cole and Doumboya could all be on the bench and against StJ Foran threw on three attacking subs in the final ten minutes when we'd just been pegged back which helped us get pressure on and win the game.  If it's tight then we have options. 

My two main concerns about us this season is that we are too fragile and disogranised defensively and we don't have enough goals.  We seemed to tighten up against StJ (couldn't really get much worse than the Hearts game) so I really hope that we continue in this vein.  Meekings and Warren have played together for four seasons now and  if they stay fit and are consistently picked then they should be a partnership we can rely on, although it hasn't looked that way.  Tremarco has improved hugely from his early stints with us and even Horner, your archetypal squad filler for most of his time with us, has looked OK.  the jury really is out and we'll get a big, big test from Aberdeen.

Going forward, I was a little perturbed to hear Foran saying in the Courier following the Cole signing that he was happy not to have signed another strikers because we had so many goals from midfield.  That's all well and good but I don't think you can understate how important having a double figures striker in your team is in Scotttish football.  Last season Storey bagged us 13 goals, season before that McKay hit double figures and then Ofere scored 5 in 10, the two seasons before that McKay hit 22 and 27.  I don't see anyone in this team who is going to score that many goals - Fisher has done well to force his way into the side and he's a worker but I don't think he's a player to score a lot of goals.  Boden looks short of confidence, Doumboya is an unknown quantity and Sutherland's a kid.  Our attacking midfeilders are a little green - Mulreany hasn't hit double figures for senior games played, Cole has basically played a season, Doran is coming back from injury.  I'm not comfortable spreading the goals around the team the way that Foran insinuated we would.  Maybe Boden or Douboya will come good, as could Cole or Mulreany.  It's just a concern.

On 03/09/2016 at 01:49, Caley Shaun said:

Wonder if Cole will be used just behind the Striker in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 formation?

I can't recall a time in recent seasons where we've been set up like that.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Aberdeen are a tempting 4/5 for this one. Surely we should be confident going into a game against bottom of the league?

So why am I not confident?

Because McInnes is an absolute bottle job. 

On 9/6/2016 at 11:03, 2pac said:

No doubt Caley will be up for this game it's there cup final

Genuine Aberdeen supporters must cringe a bit when people like this start aping the old firm 

On 9/6/2016 at 18:06, lubo_blaha said:

Not so much a cup final, more of an audition.

Hopefully that means Greg Tansey will pull out a performance. He's been pretty average for us ever since he was linked with you in January. According a friend who was talking to Foran, Aberdeen were still sniffing around over summer, and Tansey has recently said in response to a contract offer that he wants to consider his options, so I suspect he's hoping that McInnes is still interested. I was surprised that it was Tansey rather than Draper that enquiries were made about, tbh - I think Draper is exactly the sort of player that Aberdeen have been missing over the past two years.

Re. the game, I expect to lose because we have looked so toothless for most of the league season, St Johnstone game apart, but this fixture has been a strange one where form is concerned recently. Last season, when Aberdeen were clearly a much better side than us, we had the edge in the games; the season before, when there was far less between the teams in terms of ability, Aberdeen won all four.   

3 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Harsh

It's true though. 

Only Aberdeen fans don't see it. For the squad they have, they've massively underachieved. 

Archived