Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

41 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

What’s frontline politics for someone who has never been an MP?
Appearing on Question Time 20 times?

Also, LBC have just signed up Eddie Mair from Radio 4 and he's due to start in the Autumn. It's rumored he'll take the evening slot, which Farage currently has.

Probably Farage making it look like he's leaving on his own accord rather than LBC bosses getting rid of him.

Steven SwinfordVerified account @Steven_Swinford
FollowFollow @Steven_Swinford
More

EXCLUSIVE I'm told the gathering of Eurosceptic rebels tonight at the FCO is bigger than first thought. Full cast list is Boris Johnson, David Davis, Michael Gove, Esther McVey, Penny Mordaunt and Andrea Leadsom. If I was No 10 I'd be worried...

Full English Brexit  or Maybot getting telt?
Seems more fudge and spin to be released on Friday.  I think that the Tories are hoping to piss off the EU so much that they get told to GTF.

7 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

"Technology: that sounds modern &clever. The stupid c*nts will buy that."

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

‘Technology will be used’ oh Technology, why didnt you just say so, oh well if its Technology you’re using then thats fine, we thought you’d just be guessing. Yep i’d be happy signing up for vague unexplained ‘Technology’. Confidence restored get the blue passports out!

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah it’s the same technology that has been tried and tested in err nowhere.  But don’t worry, it will work.

This quote seems pretty apt:

And there lies the difficulty. Faced with intractable problems with political pressure for a solution, the government reaches for a headline grabbing high-tech "solution". Rather than spend the resources, time and thought necessary to get a real answer, they naively grasp solutions that to the technologically illiterate ministers look like magic. And most ministers are very illiterate about any serious technology.

Guess who wrote it...

Spoiler

Britains-Secretary-of-State-for-Exiting-

22 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

This quote seems pretty apt:

And there lies the difficulty. Faced with intractable problems with political pressure for a solution, the government reaches for a headline grabbing high-tech "solution". Rather than spend the resources, time and thought necessary to get a real answer, they naively grasp solutions that to the technologically illiterate ministers look like magic. And most ministers are very illiterate about any serious technology.

Guess who wrote it...

Reveal hidden contents

Britains-Secretary-of-State-for-Exiting-

I was going to say John Inman.

Close.

Thatcher had it, Blair had it, May and most of her cabinet have it.
The unshakable belief that all you have to do when making a speech is adopt a patronising and utterly sincere tone.
As you say, the stupid, gullible c***s will buy it - whatever is being said.
Indeed, and explains why The Great Clunking Fud's 'rare interventions' are still given the time of day by the Unionist Scottish media.

So Gordon, never mind The Vow and federalism, how much did you know about torture and rendition flights ?

Seven Brexiteer cabinet members met yesterday ahead of this weekend's 'showdown'.

I assume they were having a chat about how to soften their approach and rally around their beloved leader.  We should know for definite by tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Seven Brexiteer cabinet members met yesterday ahead of this weekend's 'showdown'.

I assume they were having a chat about how to soften their approach and rally around their beloved leader.  We should know for definite by tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday

A lot on Twitter about how the PM spent all day yesterday meeting and in contact with editors and there were a lot of serious discussion meetings in the press. I imagine that you're right and they'll all calm down with the press getting on side for a future favour (i.e. Leveson 2.0).

Saying that, it would be a great laugh if this turned into a total shitfest.

I was tempted to start a new thread, but it may be premature.  Nonetheless, what if there are a number of cabinet resignations or (though less likely) May herself resigns if she doesn't get the backing she wants?

I do not think a GE could be avoided.  Neither the Tories or Labour would have a clear policy (both would prattle on about fulfilling the result of the referendum).

I think the SNP and Lib Dem positions will be clear and I assume likewise with the Greens, the Welsh Nationalists and the Irish parties.

Would UKIP trying to regroup?  If so what would be the impact?

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I was tempted to start a new thread, but it may be premature.  Nonetheless, what if there are a number of cabinet resignations or (though less likely) May herself resigns if she doesn't get the backing she wants?

I do not think a GE could be avoided.  Neither the Tories or Labour would have a clear policy (both would prattle on about fulfilling the result of the referendum).

I think the SNP and Lib Dem positions will be clear and I assume likewise with the Greens, the Welsh Nationalists and the Irish parties.

Would UKIP trying to regroup?  If so what would be the impact?

I know it's obviously happened before (i.e. Callaghan) but I'm not really sure a no-confidence vote would even emerge under these circumstances.

It could get really interesting but if there's a vote of no confidence, I don't see a single Conservative or DUP member (probably even more so than the Tories!) wanting to go down in history as allowing Corbyn a path to power. That'd be considered unforgivable in the party membership and personally cause a lot of people even more grief. We could just jump around with PMs every few months and be continually begging for extensions (which I think the EU would want to give - they would politically be furious but a Hard Brexit on their doorstep is not a good thing economically).

25 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I know it's obviously happened before (i.e. Callaghan) but I'm not really sure a no-confidence vote would even emerge under these circumstances.

It could get really interesting but if there's a vote of no confidence, I don't see a single Conservative or DUP member (probably even more so than the Tories!) wanting to go down in history as allowing Corbyn a path to power. That'd be considered unforgivable in the party membership and personally cause a lot of people even more grief. We could just jump around with PMs every few months and be continually begging for extensions (which I think the EU would want to give - they would politically be furious but a Hard Brexit on their doorstep is not a good thing economically).

I think we are in uncharted territory with the Tories here.  There is no compromise candidate for PM as the dividing issues will remain whoever is in charge.

Tories may look at the polls and at the divisions in Labour and feel they have more chance of winning than they do of handing power to Corbyn.

The fascinating thing would be who can grab control of the manifesto and how specific it would be.  A fudged commitment would leave the Tories back at square one if they got back in either as a majority or as a minority government.