Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

As someone whose paternal Grandfather was a former member of the Black Lodge in Northern Ireland and whose upbringing was staunchly staunch, I don't summarily dismiss anything or anyone lightly; at one point in time I was one of those 'others'. 
Age however sometimes brings maturity and wisdom, and I've (very) long since  abandoned any association with the Unionist cause - quite the polar opposite in fact.  As a result I tend to have a dim view of those on every side who cling, religiously in too many cases, to the dismal practices and beliefs of the past, sugar-coating them in weasel words like 'heritage' and 'tradition'.  Aye, right.

Agreed, but also that nationhood and citizenship can sit comfortably with heritage and tradition in the lives of most moderates, outwith religious dogma.

3 minutes ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

I think it's probably best to accept that leave won the vote, it was a democratic vote, so we should accept the result and get on with it.

I voted Yes and I voted Remain. I was on the losing side of both referendums. Above all else I am a democrat so I respect the result.

For evermore, and if new information makes clear it was an awful decision? No other Democratic votes are binding in perpetuity, and in changing circumstances.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Think we’re just going round in circles here. The agreement being that there is an extended transition period to resolve the border issue, if that needs to include the fixed time-line of an extension beyond March 2019 then fine. We can continue to work on that with our EU counterparts whilst we attempt to get everything else in place.
It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to say that because one issue appears to be insurmountable at present that we just drop everything else.
Like you, I didn’t want this, but without offering some space and flexibility, both sides are only going to exacerbate the frustrations and discomfort of this untidy break up.

How? How does anyone resolve this? Britain refuses to countenance freedom of movement.  Britain refuses to stay in the customs union. Britain needs to instigate new trade deals. New trade deals will require borders.

The EU has said since day 1 that they will not compromise on their core red lines. 

The EU didn't vote for Brexit. 

If there is no border in Ireland, why have one anywhere? If it isn't acceptable at Dover, it's not acceptable anywhere else. 

You saying we should boot this on until a solution is found is what is driving remain and leave people nuts. We all know there isn't a solution. We all know that one of the hard choices needs to be made. The only question is, which one will this government make?

Kicking the can may - very doubtful - produce a Labour govt.  They are more likely to choose customs union and no border. But that's the only way. As I said earlier - there is no third choice and there never will be. If there were, 30 months of thinking about it would have identified it. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

For evermore, and if new information makes clear it was an awful decision? No other Democratic votes are binding in perpetuity, and in changing circumstances.

No not for evermore. That would be as wrong as not accepting democratic votes. In my mind people who do not respect the results of fair free democratic elections are fascists.

2 minutes ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

No not for evermore. That would be as wrong as not accepting democratic votes. In my mind people who do not respect the results of fair free democratic elections are fascists.

What's your cut-off, then?

1 minute ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

I'm not sure how fair it was when Farage and co promised we could stay in the single market and we'd get multiple billions to spend on the NHS.

You could make a case of the UK electorate being as ‘entitled’ to another referendum as the Scottish people on independence - both landscapes have changed beyond all recognition pre-referendum.

Almost nobody voted even for something as extreme as Chequers. Even Nigel fucking Farage was saying we could be like Norway. That there’s no backing away from the mess is the anti-democratic scenario, not having another vote.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

You could make a case of the UK electorate being as ‘entitled’ to another referendum as the Scottish people on independence - both landscapes have changed beyond all recognition pre-referendum.

Almost nobody voted even for something as extreme as Chequers. Even Nigel fucking Farage was saying we could be like Norway. That there’s no backing away from the mess is the anti-democratic scenario, not having another vote.

You are clutching at straws my friend. Democracy is not perfect but what is the alternative? Anarchy?

8 minutes ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

The EU referendum result should be implemented. If we vote to re join at a later date that would be good.

Any chance of answering the question?

As someone whose paternal Grandfather was a former member of the Black Lodge in Northern Ireland and whose upbringing was staunchly staunch, I don't summarily dismiss anything or anyone lightly; at one point in time I was one of those 'others'. 
Age however sometimes brings maturity and wisdom, and I've (very) long since  abandoned any association with the Unionist cause - quite the polar opposite in fact.  As a result I tend to have a dim view of those on every side who cling, religiously in too many cases, to the dismal practices and beliefs of the past, sugar-coating them in weasel words like 'heritage' and 'tradition'.  Aye, right.

For those of us less familiar with these matters what’s the “Black Lodge”?