Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I'm guessing he's no longer able to contribute to threads like these, but his tuppence (or thirty five quid) worth would be pretty useful right about now.

He was on recently explaining his position.  No one would want the guy to compromise himself but his input on the technicalities (such as the one I mentioned) would be invaluable.

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I've seen it said that the GFA doesn't actually mention the border. No idea if that is true.

The constitutional changes for NI proposed by the Tories in last night's defeated bill were a complete disgrace.

On that note, the 24 ayes on the amendment were, I suppose, the DUP and a handful of lunatic fringe Tories?

19 hours ago, sophia said:

one hour, forty five minutes and 50 seconds in we have the estimable Graham Cowie of the Commons Library guiding us through the labyrinthine procedural lanes.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I'm guessing he's no longer able to contribute to threads like these, but his tuppence (or thirty five quid) worth would be pretty useful right about now.

We could send a letter to the the Commons library in his name demanding an instant response, or we tell all.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

We could send a letter to the the Commons library in his name demanding an instant response, or we tell all.

We. the undersigned, believe that one of your associate  members advocated the continuation of Alan Archibald as Partick Thistle manager.  As such, we believe he is unsuited to a position of such authority.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

People die every single day because of Tory austerity. It should always be Labour's number one priority.

The only way Labour can stop it is by gaining power. They seem to have no strategy for doing so.

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They would whip to back an extension. There are already talks of backbenchers plotting with Bercow to allow a non government bill to come in front of the house to extend A50.

To what end though? His position in Brexit is barely if at all different to May so what will he do to bring about an agreement with the EU.

He already blames low wages on foreigners so he's presumably not going to move on freedom of movement.

Just now, welshbairn said:

The only way Labour can stop it is by gaining power. They seem to have no strategy for doing so.

There is a vote of confidence in the government today after inflicting the biggest defeat in the history of universal suffrage yesterday. What more can they do?

As I said before the new found onus on the opposition to shape events is solely down to the fact that Labour intend to redistribute wealth downwards if they become the government. No one is blaming the opposition for government policies in the USA or France.

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

To what end though? His position in Brexit is barely if at all different to May so what will he do to bring about an agreement with the EU.

He already blames low wages on foreigners so he's presumably not going to move on freedom of movement.

He wants a customs union which is a significant difference.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Cannot point to the source, but it has been stated that the HoC can wrest control from the government.  Given our lack of a written constitution (assisted by a ‘friendly’ speaker) I am inclined to accept that as a possibility.

It would be a game changer.  Maybe @Ad Lib could advise (or strongly advise :P) assuming it wouldn’t compromise him.

:lol:

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Parliament is just horrendous to watch just now. TM is just floundering with each question being asked.

I'm not watching proceedings today, but is she really floundering, or is it just more Maybot stuff?

I am not sure I have heard her say anything new in a long time, just the same soundbites.

On Corbyn, last night, before and after the vote was the time for the leader of the opposition to give a rousing speech, something to unite at least one half of the country behind him.  Yet he came out with the same rubbish as usual. Dull stuff from both leaders at the moment. 

Just now, Detournement said:

There is a vote of confidence in the government today after inflicting the biggest defeat in the history of universal suffrage yesterday. What more can they do?

Convert it into power by crushing her on Brexit. Anything else is like standing on a box with a loud hailer on speakers corner. Getting into bed with the UDP and ERG is not a great Labour party victory, acting on it could be.

I'm not watching proceedings today, but is she really floundering, or is it just more Maybot stuff?

I am not sure I have heard her say anything new in a long time, just the same soundbites.

On Corbyn, last night, before and after the vote was the time for the leader of the opposition to give a rousing speech, something to unite at least one half of the country behind him.  Yet he came out with the same rubbish as usual. Dull stuff from both leaders at the moment. 

Stumbling over herself quite a bit. Nothing new coming out of her cave though.

Just now, jamieson87 said:

I would imagine TM is keeping her cards close to her chest until the VoNC is over. If she pivots towards Labour just now, this would make the ERG and perhaps DUP reconsider their alliances. 

There is no chance whatever that she would pivot towards Labour's position even if anyone knew what it was.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

There is no chance whatever that she would pivot towards Labour's position even if anyone knew what it was.

She'll have to pivot somewhere, even if it is the customs union in all but name, however, that would make Brexiteers on her side have serious thoughts. 

Her plan B will either need to be softer brexit, or no deal. I can't see where else the wiggle room is. 

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He wants a customs union which is a significant difference.

Do they, even Labour's support of that seems mixed and/or subject to change on a whim? Labour are as divided as the Tories on several key issues of Brexit and don't appear anywhere near coherent enough to take over as a government. 

6 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Grieve has tabled an amendment that seeks to have a new referendum.

Looking more and more likely we will be going down that road - again.

I'm uncomfortable with that as I'm not convinced it will solve anything. Supposing a large chunk of England votes to leave again in sufficient numbers to tip the UK over the 50% mark.  Where would that leave us?

I can't speak for the whole of England but I can say with some confidence that few, if any in the Burnley area have had a change of mind on this issue - I suspect it will be much the same in all the other areas that voted in substantial numbers to leave.