Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

The two of them are as bad as each other and its clear to see why this country is fucked. May is so entrenched in her own plan thats its laughable, whilst Corbyn refuses to come up with anything so that he can try and appeal to everyone in a GE if he somehow managed to get one called. Neither of them seem to give a damn at this point about actually fixing the rampant problems that exist. 

1 minute ago, scot-gcar709 said:

The two of them are as bad as each other and its clear to see why this country is fucked. May is so entrenched in her own plan thats its laughable, whilst Corbyn refuses to come up with anything so that he can try and appeal to everyone in a GE if he somehow managed to get one called. Neither of them seem to give a damn at this point about actually fixing the rampant problems that exist. 

May is totally shameless to the detriment of us all. Corbyn just ain't that bright unfortunately which is compounding the mess the Tories have got us all into. 

1 minute ago, scot-gcar709 said:

Corbyn isn't responsible for fixing this. He is the leader of the opposition not the PM. No one said that David Cameron had to solve the financial crisis in 2008. This rhetoric shifting responsibility onto the opposition is a weapon to undermine the left wing control of the Labour Party.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Totally disagree with you on this.  Whatever position May held, or even maybe still holds, is of less importance to her than ‘winning’.

Any final deal that includes a CU and freedom of movement will be seen as a personal failure for her; she will not want that to be her legacy.

I certainly agree she's more likely to put party before country.  It's just a question of whether Brexit is one or t'other in the medium term.    I guess I just hoped she might have a little more heart committed to freedom of movement, which seems to me to be the crux of this whole shitshow.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She was as quiet as Corbyn during the campaign. She's hugely right wing on immigration and I think she'd accept a hard brexit for that reason alone.

This is true.  She's not exactly a die-in-the-wool remainer.  Perhaps Granny is right.  Perhaps she's quite happy to relinquish her position in Europe for another five years of Tory party dominance.  

6 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I think he's doing great. Doing all the right things, at the right moment.  

And the Tories continue to implode. As they have always done over Europe, the Common Market, the EU, the EEC... ( choose as appropriate ). 

Genuine question: what right things?  He's sat on his hands and allowed May to weasel out of making any hard decisions.  Even now, the VoNC is actually going to give May breathing room, and make his stated goal of a new election less likely.  The Tories have always imploded over Europe; it's an enormous schism within the party.  I don't see any evidence that Labour is in a position to take advantage of it at all.  

I'm pretty sure I am watching a PMQ's where Corbyn is avoiding the topic of Brexit. I mean, what the f**k.

He asked for clarification on the customs union and then asked for clarification May won’t lead the country into a Hard Brexit both of which she didn’t answer.

That said I’m not sure why he changed tacks as it just unites the Tory Party ahead of the vote later. Presumably there’s an argument that there should be a reinforcement of the damage wrecked upon the country hence the reference to the report by the UN. Some folk are focusing on that but Beth Rigby is going in hard on May’s refusal to give any clarity on what’s next.

Just now, NotThePars said:

He asked for clarification on the customs union and then asked for clarification May won’t lead the country into a Hard Brexit both of which she didn’t answer.

He used the majority of his questions on policing and education. The only benefit of PMQ's is to give the press gallery headlines, Corbyn ain't going to be grabbing any headlines with that performance. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Corbyn isn't responsible for fixing this. He is the leader of the opposition not the PM. No one said that David Cameron had to solve the financial crisis in 2008. This rhetoric shifting responsibility onto the opposition is a weapon to undermine the left wing control of the Labour Party.

He is failing to act as the primary Opposition leader on the issue she is most vulnerable, Brexit. The only way to get rid of the Tories is to crush them on it with a majority of the House. Tories aren't going to vote against their own Government in a VOC unless he offers an alternative that the House can get around. Otherwise there will likely be no election till 2022. 

Fox has wasted no time in opportunistically ordering all civil servants in the Department Of Overseas Trade to concentrate solely on aspects of a No Deal scenario.  And we can be sure that the rest of the crazies will be acting like Bond villains whilst Parliament resembles a drunken rugby scrum.

May is out of completely out of control and out of her depth; Corbyn is merely the latter.  Is there any mechanism within the British constitution which allows for a cross-party political amalgam to take the tiller in times of national crisis (that's what this is by the way) - effectively overriding the Government of the day for a limited period ?  Does Brenda need to get involved ? 

Just now, welshbairn said:

He is failing to act as the primary Opposition leader on the issue she is most vulnerable, Brexit. The only way to get rid of the Tories is to crush them on it with a majority of the House. Tories aren't going to vote against their own Government in a VOC unless he offers an alternative that the House can get around. Otherwise there will likely be no election till 2022. 

Tories are never going to vote for an election. The only way to get an election is to bring the DUP onside which is difficult and probably dependent on May selling them out on the WA.

People like to pretend Corbyn has lots of options. He is 100% correct not to chase a referendum that would allow the Tories and the media to constantly accuse him of betraying Leave voters and their manifesto.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Tories are never going to vote for an election. The only way to get an election is to bring the DUP onside which is difficult and probably dependent on May selling them out on the WA.

People like to pretend Corbyn has lots of options. He is 100% correct not to chase a referendum that would allow the Tories and the media to constantly accuse him of betraying Leave voters and their manifesto.

So he's right to doom the country to a disastrous no-deal Brexit just because it will suit the Labour party? I don't see them being able to do much to reduce poverty even if they got in after Brexit anyway. They'd be too busy trying to put out the fires they helped to bring about by standing idly by.

9 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

May is totally shameless to the detriment of us all. Corbyn just ain't that bright unfortunately which is compounding the mess the Tories have got us all into. 

That's true.

We wouldn't be in this mess  had Tony Blair still been Labour leader.

(Not that for 1 moment I'm suggesting he be reinstalled as leader)

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

All he has to do is say what red lines he is willing to compromise on to get a Customs Union which he claims to want. He refused to even question May on hers, which are the same as his. If he allows a slip to a hard brexit for deluded ideas of political gain both he and the Labour party will be fucked.

Edited by welshbairn

Have you ever met a Tory that wasn't? They measure everything, absolutely everything, in monetary terms. It's pathetic. 
Yep, it's why when 'aspiration' is regularly flung around by them it's always about material and monetary wealth. There is no room for anything else.