Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The Government have cancelled their holiday break next week to show how busy they are sorting out Brexit. Except they've got no legislation to pass until they agree on a deal, which won't happen till the week after if at all. So although the staff will have to turn up and cancel holidays etc, the MPs have been issued a one line whip which means they don't have to turn up. I'm sure they've been ordered to keep a low profile in Tuscany though and not be photographed on yachts in the Caribbean. 

Just like to point out that recesses, in the main, are certainly not holidays. For most staff, particularly constituency based ones, they can actually be busier times of year.

Not really an important point in the grand scheme of things but there you go.  

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Just like to point out that recesses, in the main, are certainly not holidays. For most staff, particularly constituency based ones, they can actually be busier times of year.

Not really an important point in the grand scheme of things but there you go.  

I bet a few Tories will sneak off to St Moritz for the week though for a bit of plotting.

A lot of people have been failed by successive governments since the 1970s/80s. It's been a lot easier to pin the blame on some imaginary boogeyman than accept that you were at fault.

It's overly simplistic to say that "all these folk are racists". Many of them are simply racist, but others have been fed a narrative of "you've got a shit job, with shit pay, in a shit town, with shit prospects for your kids because of globalisation/immigrants/Brussels".  The UK media, in the main, has been quite happy to go along with this too (probably because it's a lot easier to turn up to work every day, churn out some shit without properly doing any research, then go home). It's very similar to how the narrative over austerity was constructed: "this isn't an ideological attack on the welfare state, no we are merely cutting our cloth because of years of overspending".  The media (and the Labour party, to their absolute shame) went along with that too.

Dafties like that law student guy who was going around shouting "TELL ME A WTO RULE, GO ON TELL ME YOU IDIOTS" do more harm than good. At least he's got #numbers for it on middle-class London Twitter though.

One fascinating aspect of this is the possibility of a need for an Article 50 extension, even a very short one.

Whilst revocation can go ahead without EU consent, an extension needs unanimous EU support.

With Poland playing silly buggers recently I wonder if such unanimity can be guaranteed.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I hadn't even heard of the WTO before all this shit began.

Having undertaken Macro and Micro Economics modules at Uni - I had a basic understanding of trade and WTO.

I was always told that fewer barriers to trade is the best thing to have for any economy.

Sadly leaving the EU means we will have more barriers to trade.

Interpret that how you wish...

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

As if Tesco would offer more hours if some folk not born in England left. If loads of folk left then it would most likely still be the lowing paying jobs available anyway. This is typical 'blame the immigrants!!!!!!!' bullshit from a horrible moron.

You need to read a bit more about how labour functions as a commodity.

I hate it when these people also quote sound bites from the press
"We can get trade deals with whoever we want now"
"We'll get our fishing waters back"
Which realistically, will not impact their life in any way shape or form.
This, true but made me laugh. They haven't got a fucking clue. ' We'll have control of our own borders'? How so? 'An Australian based points system'

Perfect example of an ERG type who thinks that a hard brexit means that we can be pirates and smugglers again like in his children's books. Charles Moore of the Spectator. And who has probably already moved the family treasure offshore.

What to do about the coming shortage of green groceries of which several supermarkets warned yet again this week if there is a no-deal Brexit on 29 March? I am just old enough to remember when fresh fruit and veg were in short supply at this time of year. People used to know how to store things to mitigate the problem: apples would be carefully laid out on straw-strewn shelves. We ate lots of root vegetables and not much greenery. If ever you saw a strawberry out of season it came, for some reason, from Israel. Perhaps it is time for a Brexit recipe book, like those comforting wartime rationing ones full of bright ideas for dull things. In our part of the south coast we have racier ideas. We have a centuries-old tradition of smuggling (‘brandy for the parson, baccy for the clerk’), and are ready to set out in our little ships to Dunkirk or wherever and bring back luscious black-market lettuces and French beans, oranges and lemons. Our Sussex and Kent smugglers used to be known as ‘free traders’, which is interesting and — if we have to sneak over an EU tariff wall — entirely appropriate for today.

Edited by welshbairn