Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Arlene says NO MRS MAY!

In the end I suppose it was the likeliest outcome even considering May's deal is likely the best the DUP are going to get from their POV.

Shows the folly of dealing with a party who want to believe it's still the 17th century!

Edited by btb

13 minutes ago, tirso said:

I think May's deal is closest you're going to get. What it doesn't mean is staying in.

You might think that but (A) you cannot claim that is what people who voted Leave voted for, and (B) the various opinion polls do not show much support for May’s deal.

27 minutes ago, tirso said:
55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
That would be a fair position if there was one clear definition of Brexit, there wasn’t.

I think May's deal is closest you're going to get. What it doesn't mean is staying in.

Yet staying in is what a majority want.

7 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Yet staying in is what a majority want.

Only vote we've had it on it says the contrary.  We could have a general election, a pledge for another vote and vote again.  But as things stand, the UK voted to leave.  We don't do democracy by opinion polls or petitions.  

Might sound good when it's something you support but it's a poor precedent to set.

Edited by tirso

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You might think that but (A) you cannot claim that is what people who voted Leave voted for, and (B) the various opinion polls do not show much support for May’s deal.

well the only thing they didn't vote for by majority was to stay in, isn't it?  So some form of Brexit is what they voted for.  Surely you concede that?

1 minute ago, tirso said:

Only vote we've had it on it says the contrary.  We could have a general election, a pledge for another vote and vote again.  But as things stand, the UK voted to leave.  We don't do democracy by opinion polls or petitions.  

Might sound good when it's something you support but it's a poor precedent to set.

What are you scared of?

3 minutes ago, tirso said:

well the only thing they didn't vote for by majority was to stay in, isn't it?  So some form of Brexit is what they voted for.  Surely you concede that?

What would your attitude be if it could be proven that a large proportion of leave voters had changed their minds? I'm not saying it definitely can.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

What are you scared of?

I'm scared of nothing.  I want to stay in the EU.  I'd be in favour of another vote potentially if there was an actual mandate for it via an election.  Not facebook petitions.

I do however believe the parties have a duty to come up with a Brexit that delivers on the referendum.  To do otherwise is not democracy.  

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

What would your attitude be if it could be proven that a large proportion of leave voters had changed their minds?

If it was proven via an election, I would be very much in favour of changing things.  Opinion polls. no.  

Just now, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
So let's have a confirmatory referendum. Would that not be democratic?

Let's go best of 3 and have a 3rd and final confirmatory of the confirmatory referendum but not for 2 years. Would that not be even more democratic.

Sure. Do it every 5 years or so if you like.

Democracy. Why are you so opposed to it?

I think it shows more Democratic nous to agree to let things happen collectively when you personally don't agree with it. 

You're just saying a word.  Will we have a vote on the Death penalty as well?  No mandate for it but hey Democracy.

2 minutes ago, tirso said:

I think it shows more Democratic nous to agree to let things happen collectively when you personally don't agree with it. 

You're just saying a word.  Will we have a vote on the Death penalty as well?  No mandate for it but hey Democracy.

There have been numerous parliamentary votes on the death penalty over the years. Absolutely no reason why there couldn't be a referendum on it. That's how democracy works.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure if it could be proved in an election, millions of Remainers voted for parties promising Brexit last time around, very few people read the manifestos. 

possibly and probably but that's still my standard, i'm afraid.  I don't think there's a better way of doing things.  Again, broken record but bad precedent.  There is a way; have an election with it as a promise.  Then it is justifiable.

I wouldn't support Scottish independence by opinion poll either an I'm supporter.  A mandate through an election, yes.

Edited by tirso

There have been numerous parliamentary votes on the death penalty over the years. Absolutely no reason why there couldn't be a referendum on it. That's how democracy works.

No one's saying a vote couldn't be done.  You could have a vote on the colour of the flag if you want.  We're talking about should or should not.