Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

BTW: Some leading Brexiteers are also climate change deniers - so as far as they are concerned - we are simply missing out on something that is a waste of time anyway.

It's funny how being stupid and voting for Brexit seem to go hand in hand.

I think the term ‘climate change deniers’ is a bit misleading.

These people know that the problems exist, they also know that addressing the problems will cut into the profits that many polluting companies make.

They put profit before anything else and denying climate change is just a way of refusing to admit that fact.

9 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

And/or voting tory.

.. and then there is the Tory canvasser who observed that when he went to someone's house and they had books on the shelf then it was almost certain they would not be voting Tory.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the term ‘climate change deniers’ is a bit misleading...

Tend to ignore anyone who uses that phrase or on the flip side talks about alarmists. Not how real scientists behave. Also think people are a bit too quick to dismiss just how far up the proverbial creek we would have been if the peak oil crowd had been correct with their predictions about a decade ago. We are going to have to transition to renewables because fossil fuels are finite, and there are dangers that go with doing it too quickly as well as too slowly.

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Tend to ignore anyone who uses that phrase or on the flip side talks about alarmists. Not how real scientists behave. Also think people are a bit too quick to dismiss just how far up the proverbial creek we would have been if the peak oil crowd had been correct with their predictions about a decade ago. We are going to have to transition to renewables because fossil fuels are finite, and there are dangers that go with doing it too quickly as well as too slowly.

There's an app called Gridcarbon, which shows , in the moment,  the sources of the electricity on the National Grid.

Right now, mid-day on a mildish spring day where I am..., it's showing...

Gas    41.1%        (  usually around 50%, I think, in twilight/early morning hours )

Solar 18.4%

Nuclear  17%

Wind 7.5%

Biomass 6.2%

Coal  3.6%

Netherlands 2.7%

France  2.1%

Belgium 1.0%

Hydro 0.4%

There's usually 1 or 2% from Ireland, but nothing just now.

Fossil fuels may be finite, but most of them will eventually stay in the ground.  Public and investment sentiment means that

fossil fuel companies find it harder to raise funds. Therefore, apart from geological issues, the cost of extraction rises. Meanwhile, the

cost of renewables is falling.    

The above percentage for Gas troubles me.  

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I doubt it, but we’ll see.

Farage seems to be playing a blinder, he may well end up with a large percentage of the "leave" vote. Where as the "remain" block are rudderless at the moment.

This article explains it well.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-and-the-tiggers-need-to-get-real-11695821

I think the hard Brexit percentage has probably peaked as there's little to persuade those on the fence or remain voters to change side, but as the remain vote is scattered it may be enough to tip the balance in their favour.

1 minute ago, Comrie said:

I think the hard Brexit percentage has probably peaked as there's little to persuade those on the fence or remain voters to change side, but as the remain vote is scattered it may be enough to tip the balance in their favour.

It's not just no deal supporters, or hard brexiteers that'll be voting for the Brexit party.  My guess is that a percentage of the votes will come from floating voters who feel disillusioned with the traditional parties. This is how Farage is pitching it, and I think it'll win him a few votes.

1 hour ago, tirso said:

Lib dems polling is horrific considering they are the only people's vote party.

Aye, the Lib dems remaining irrelevance would be worth a chuckle, if it wasn't for the situation that the UK finds itself in.

They should be looking to hoover up remain votes across the board (in England at least) but they are nowhere to be seen. 

The polls are ignoring the Scottish situation where I reckon the SNP, an unashamed Remain Party, will do well.  This will justify and reinforce the SNP position.

Edited by Granny Danger

4 hours ago, jamieson87 said:

It's not just no deal supporters, or hard brexiteers that'll be voting for the Brexit party.  My guess is that a percentage of the votes will come from floating voters who feel disillusioned with the traditional parties. This is how Farage is pitching it, and I think it'll win him a few votes.

At root, the base for the Farage party is what was the old UKIP.    The best electoral support for that was, as I recall ( possibly incorrectly ) around 15 %.

Given that some of that will stay with the new UKIP....., add in that an amount of those who voted Brexit in the referendum  can now see what an unmitigated disaster it all is...

even after you factor in the previously Tory-voting Brexiters who will turn up their noses at what UKIP has now become, so will vote forthe Farage party.........

I'd say that the real vote for the Farage party will be around the 20%   'ish  mark.