Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I believe that the fish that UK boats land from EU waters is about 25%  of the reverse. So a fixed term deal that establishes that kind of parity would of course be fair. Maybe with a few years wind down to minimise economic damage to EU interests. As to the Channel and Irish Sea - well, they have to be shared. What's your point? Little Iceland decides who gets to fish what in their waters. Why are saying that the UK shouldn't?

Iceland is an island several hundred miles from any of its neighbours

I know that many Brexiteers seem to think that description applies to the UK too but it’s probably best not to look on it as a role model

19 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Iceland is an island several hundred miles from any of its neighbours

I know that many Brexiteers seem to think that description applies to the UK too but it’s probably best not to look on it as a role model

Why is that relevant?  Norway (close enough for you?) decides on an who gets what in its waters and makes year to year agreements with the EU. And it's still in the EEA.

19 hours ago, Fullerene said:

You remember wrong. The Cold War was some tiff with the Soviet Union and had lots of highlights like the Berlin airlift and the Cuban Missile crisis and all sorts of other stuff.  World was on the verge of apocalypse but thankfully it didn't happen.

I think you might be thinking about the Cod War.

Cod War and Cold War both, perhaps.

IIRC, Icelandic gun boats were soldly built and ideal for ramming, close quarter skirmishes and scrapes etc..,

whereas British frigates were almost useless in that capacity. 

Part of the reason why Iceland won the Cod War was that there was also Cold War geo-politics involved.

Something to do with Icelandic unofficial threats/suggestions that if Britain didn't back down, Iceland would start to become

very uncooperative in the monitoring of Soviet vessels as they passed through that area into the Atlantic. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/10/checks-on-eu-bound-goods-inevitable-gove-tells-business-leaders
The Tories confirm that post Brexit, trade barriers on almost all goods will be imposed.
What happened to a seamless, friction-free Brexit, and the easiest trade deal ever ?
No-one should be remotely surprised by this. Unless you are part of a gullible tribe numbering 17.4 million.

On 08/02/2020 at 00:52, beefybake said:

Part of the reason why Iceland won the Cod War was that there was also Cold War geo-politics involved.

Something to do with Icelandic unofficial threats/suggestions that if Britain didn't back down, Iceland would start to become

very uncooperative in the monitoring of Soviet vessels as they passed through that area into the Atlantic. 

Yep, threatened to close down the US airbase at Keflavik. Yanks leaned on the British government, who of course rolled over.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/10/checks-on-eu-bound-goods-inevitable-gove-tells-business-leaders
The Tories confirm that post Brexit, trade barriers on almost all goods will be imposed.
What happened to a seamless, friction-free Brexit, and the easiest trade deal ever ?

No-one should be remotely surprised by this. Unless you are part of a gullible tribe numbering 17.4 million.

This is probably the first and only time that these fanatics have begun to tell the truth about what Brexit is actually going to be like....the problems and barriers that UK business will face.... and they've managed to slip it in on a Monday evening with little or no comment or discussion. 

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This is probably the first and only time that these fanatics have begun to tell the truth about what Brexit is actually going to be like....the problems and barriers that UK business will face.... and they've managed to slip it in on a Monday evening with little or no comment or discussion. 

The only thing I regret here is I can't stand with a large group of Brexiteers and watch the exact moment the penny drops and they realise they were in fact lied too and the people who voted remain aren't a bunch of shitebags or traitors.

The only thing I regret here is I can't stand with a large group of Brexiteers and watch the exact moment the penny drops and they realise they were in fact lied too and the people who voted remain aren't a bunch of shitebags or traitors.
Pointless. They're utter thickos. The penny will never drop tbqh

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
9 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Don't ruin the dream

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Another razor sharp opinion delivered with the usual thicko/moron appendage. Parp's day off today, is it?

16 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It was a pack of lies.....shouldn't be especially shocked by that. 

On 07/02/2020 at 00:03, Pet Jeden said:

Why is that relevant?  Norway (close enough for you?) decides on an who gets what in its waters and makes year to year agreements with the EU. And it's still in the EEA.

It sounds as if that deal may already have been verbally agreed by Gove and that the fishing rights will be one of the first things to be traded away. 

The only reason Norway isn't in the EU is fishing rights, which are far far more economically important to Norway than the UK, as the rural communities are against the CFP. But in other areas Norway converges with the EU regulations and does very well out of being in the EEA.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

It sounds as if that deal may already have been verbally agreed by Gove and that the fishing rights will be one of the first things to be traded away. 

The only reason Norway isn't in the EU is fishing rights, which are far far more economically important to Norway than the UK, as the rural communities are against the CFP. But in other areas Norway converges with the EU regulations and does very well out of being in the EEA.

Half the issue with fishing is symbolic - about control. And I get that the UK fishing industry is relatively small beer. But, of course, it would be 2 to 3 times bigger if the fish was mostly being caught by UK vessels and landed/processed at UK ports.

As for a “verbal agreement” with a transient minister - not sure I would bet the house on that.

Maybe have a word with the UK "fishermen" who sold their licenses to foreign boats about this.

Half the issue with fishing is symbolic - about control. And I get that the UK fishing industry is relatively small beer. But, of course, it would be 2 to 3 times bigger if the fish was mostly being caught by UK vessels and landed/processed at UK ports.
As for a “verbal agreement” with a transient minister - not sure I would bet the house on that.

The only small saving grace about Brexit under the Tories is that there will be no hiding from the clusterfuck that they are in the process of creating.  All the lies told during the election campaign will be laid bare and many of those who thought they would be immune from its effects will learn a painful lesson.

Hopefully Labour will have someone competent in charge to highlight this alongside Sturgeon.