Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Half the issue with fishing is symbolic - about control. And I get that the UK fishing industry is relatively small beer. But, of course, it would be 2 to 3 times bigger if the fish was mostly being caught by UK vessels and landed/processed at UK ports.
As for a “verbal agreement” with a transient minister - not sure I would bet the house on that.
And then sold to whom ?

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
3 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:
Half the issue with fishing is symbolic - about control. And I get that the UK fishing industry is relatively small beer. But, of course, it would be 2 to 3 times bigger if the fish was mostly being caught by UK vessels and landed/processed at UK ports.
As for a “verbal agreement” with a transient minister - not sure I would bet the house on that.

And then sold to whom ?

British people. 

The future is sustainable supply chains.

The only small saving grace about Brexit under the Tories is that there will be no hiding from the clusterfuck that they are in the process of creating.  All the lies told during the election campaign will be laid bare and many of those who thought they would be immune from its effects will learn a painful lesson.
Hopefully Labour will have someone competent in charge to highlight this alongside Sturgeon.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Are freeports going to happen?

Aye. 

It's just the same shit they have in Ireland where companies can set up and not pay any tax. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Free_Zone

The Tory Brexit future is copying all the worst ideas from around the world. American health. Australian immigration. Irish corporate tax. UAE workers visa. 

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

British people. 

The future is sustainable supply chains.

Protectionism and shutting down world trade, think that get rich quick scheme was tried before.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The only small saving grace about Brexit under the Tories is that there will be no hiding from the clusterfuck that they are in the process of creating.  All the lies told during the election campaign will be laid bare and many of those who thought they would be immune from its effects will learn a painful lesson.

Hopefully Labour will have someone competent in charge to highlight this alongside Sturgeon.

We should be allowed to screenshot and post on giant billboards all over the UK all the shite from Brexiteers that they've posted on FB etc.

Rule Britannia ya fucking p***ks

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
5 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

And then sold to whom ?

A big proportion goes to the EU. So what? The Spanish sell holidays to UK punters and the French sell ski holidays to the UK 's middle classes. Does that entitle the UK to joint control over the Spanish coast or the French Alps? It's an idiotic argument by otherwise sane people that are so enraged by Brexit that they have lost their ability to reason.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
6 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

And then sold to whom ?

btw, i think the market for fish will balloon over the next decade or two as we move away from red meat for both health and environmental reasons

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Every country that 'got rich' used protectionism. Especially the UK and USA.

The UK/Scotland should definitely be looking to move closer to food self sufficiency given the impending climate disaster. 

Absolutely.
Why are we importing food like carrots and potatoes from other countries?

People want tons of cheap food and they don't care where it comes from or what it contains. It's a disaster for the climate so some fat f**k can fill his face.

Bet it doesn't.
Unfortunately you are right. The market for fish would require folk to move away from the oft mentioned, cheap convenience diet. For that, they are more than happy with any old shite as long as it resembles white fish.

There will never be the market for the quality stuff we fish here. It's a crying fucking shame tbh.

44 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

A big proportion goes to the EU. So what? The Spanish sell holidays to UK punters and the French sell ski holidays to the UK 's middle classes. Does that entitle the UK to joint control over the Spanish coast or the French Alps? It's an idiotic argument by otherwise sane people that are so enraged by Brexit that they have lost their ability to reason.

Inside the EU people from the UK were entitled to set up a business and work on the Spanish Coast and in the French Alps if they wished. In your book that means we did have "joint control" over them, as the producers have access to common natural resources:  the beaches, the coast and the mountains.

13 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Inside the EU people from the UK were entitled to set up a business and work on the Spanish Coast and in the French Alps if they wished. In your book that means we did have "joint control" over them, as the producers have access to common natural resources:  the beaches, the coast and the mountains.

Who makes the rules? It’s very simple. You are confusing freedom of movement of citizens with sovereignty. Away and try fishing in Chinese waters. When they pull pull you up at gunpoint just explain to them that you have every right to fish their waters because some Chinese folk have businesses in Scotland.

0428DB96-B26E-4757-9F21-8A192BA0054F.png

8 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Who makes the rules? It’s very simple. You are confusing freedom of movement of citizens with sovereignty. Away and try fishing in Chinese waters. When they pull pull you up at gunpoint just explain to them that you have every right to fish their waters because some Chinese folk have businesses in Scotland.

0428DB96-B26E-4757-9F21-8A192BA0054F.png

It can't be that simple because I've got no idea what the f**k you are talking about. China? Gunpoint? I'm not confusing anything.

You were saying that Spain and France had 'joint control' on our resources yet we didn't have access to theirs, when we very clearly did. Your pish analogy, not mine. 

China? FFS.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

5 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

It can't be that simple because I've got no idea what the f**k you are talking about. China? Gunpoint? I'm not confusing anything.

You were saying that Spain and France had 'joint control' on our resources yet we didn't have access to theirs, when we very clearly did. Your pish analogy, not mine. 

China? FFS.

Erm...how to put this?

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

9 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Erm...how to put this?

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

?

I'm trying to see your point, I really am. Let's take your 'sovereignty' as a balance sheet item. If access to our seas by 'foreigners' is a loss of sovereignty, then surely access to their 'whatever' is an addition? It's not as simple as 'taking back control' and our sovereignty is suddenly regained? IMO we lose more than we gain by leaving.

Anyhoo, fishing: Having read up a bit on it there is zero chance everything gets accounted for. Absolutely zero. The numbers are miniscule compared to where they should be. The last company I worked for used to do the (alleged) annual turnover for all the fishing in the UK over the course of about a year or two, yet it was a wee travel firm in based in Motherwell. They are obviously all crooks, again, IMO. The fishing industry, that is, not the travel firm in Motherwell.

take a moment and go beyond brexity

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

The CFP began in 1983. It was based on the notion that there was a common fishery, not least because fish have a habit of swimming across boundaries.

In some cases, they do that over the course of their lifetimes, so you don't want to give one country's fishermen - the Danish, for example - an incentive to catch them close to their coast when the fish are young, and before they get a chance both to reproduce, and to swim into British waters where they can grow big and profitable.