Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

54 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It's actually rather painful to watch representatives of the fishing industry come out and say how much they hope the UK will hold out, when everyone knows Johnson is about to sell them out.

Nope. The absolute epitome of 'I'm alright jack'. 

The only positive for me about brexit is Jimmy Buchan and Bertie Armstrong's tears.

Get it right up them.

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This cannot be done without cutting the tariffs on imports for all countries. We would be sued at the WTO and would lose for allowing the EU preferential tariffs without a Free Trade Agreement, to the discrimination of every other country. 

Yes, but I was meaning we can cut tariffs, not offer preferential rates to the EU. If there were rampant food inflation, why would we maintain high tariff rates?

2 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Because it would put our food producers out of business.

Like the citrus fruit growers of the West Highlands, you mean? I was responding to the scenario of high food prices because of tariffs on imports - I assumed we weren't talking about things like beef, cheese and butter.

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Am I reading it wrong? Banks is being an even bigger c**t than Montgomerie (who's trying to weasel out) and saying that it's going to cause huge success. The destruction will be for everyone who opposes Brexit, no doubt.

Creative destruction is the process by which capitalism supposedly evolves. It requires the death of unproductive firms that don't serve the market being replaced by disruptive innovators. 

I think he’s confusing this with pointless destruction, where healthy productive and useful firms fail because of the jingoistic fantasies of a bunch of little englanders who are terrified of progress. 

2 minutes ago, bendan said:

Like the citrus fruit growers of the West Highlands, you mean? ...

Only a matter of time before we have a subtropical but partially submerged Scotland, if the likes of Greta are to be believed. Where fish are concerned are Hector Brocklebank and co not viewed as the key to a lot of the Tory revival in Scotland? Think the reason it is taking so long for Boris to blink and compromise on fish in the same sort of way as happened during EEC entry is what it potentially does to Yes numbers on independence.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

No they couldn't. They would have to cut tariffs to every country that they don't have a deal with.  Have you learnt nothing? 

I'm glad you now accept that they could cut tariffs, when yesterday you said the WTO set the rate and this was 'immutable'. I haven't said they could cut tariffs only for EU imports - I said 'tariffs on EU imports are up to the UK government', because we were talking about imports from the EU. You are entirely correct (for the first time in recent days?) to say that would mean the tariff applied to all countries we had no deal with.

Regarding late and repeated extensions to the timeline, there has to be a limit to this. Supply chains have no idea what will be required of them in under 3 weeks. I'm working on the delivery of a data exchange project which goes live on 1 January and if there's no deal, there's no data exchange. But in the meantime, those who need to set up systems to meet the legislation are spending good money even though the whole thing might get launched in the bin on the 31st. It's a fucking fiasco.

Edited by HTG

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

And the public being told on BBC not to, as theres definitely no need.

Which now means panic buying from this point onwards is absolutely guaranteed.

I've still got a couple of fray bentos and some vacuum packed punjabi choley from the covid panic. That should go alright with the dirt cheap surplus langoustine and monkfish next month. 

Are we self sufficient in toilet paper though? 

8 hours ago, bendan said:

I'm glad you now accept that they could cut tariffs, when yesterday you said the WTO set the rate and this was 'immutable'. I haven't said they could cut tariffs only for EU imports - I said 'tariffs on EU imports are up to the UK government', because we were talking about imports from the EU. You are entirely correct (for the first time in recent days?) to say that would mean the tariff applied to all countries we had no deal with.

So how would the UK cope if a country (say China) started dumping their excess on our markets?

Edit: "fucking crickets".

Edited by Baxter Parp

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Two pundits on Radio Ulster reckon this could stretch on until Hogmanay.

I'd be interested to know if the DUP are likely to suffer electoral from this? They backed a policy which put a border in the Irish Sea and I imagine a lot of their supporters won't thank them for that.

I don't follow politics in NI, just interested to know your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I'd be interested to know if the DUP are likely to suffer electoral from this? They backed a policy which put a border in the Irish Sea and I imagine a lot of their supporters won't thank them for that.

I don't follow politics in NI, just interested to know your thoughts?

It could cost them in middle class constituencies. The further west in the province you go from Belfast the less likely it is to have a great effect.

The DUP very much overplayed their hand and completely ignored the fact that NI voted remain, fixated as they were on the overall national vote.

They did get a tranche of money, which was very acceptable, but I'm not sure whether it's all been spent or some of it had to be handed back/deducted from other subventions.