Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Nonsense. 

You telling me that I'm talking shit doesn't mean that I'm actually talking shit.

Now, there are subtle differences in that the UK is an independent sovereign state and the EU is not, but the negotiations for Scotland leaving the UK and the negotiations for the UK leaving the EU are broadly speaking quite similar in nature. You'd need a financial settlement, possibly a transition period whilst a future trading deal is worked out, and a backstop to avoid a hard border. There would be some very similar themes in the settlement that Sturgeon or her successor was negotiating with the UK government as to what May has negotiated with the EU, you'd probably have some staunch SNP backbenchers calling for no deal, and you'd have the unionists calling for a rerun of the referendum.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Why would there be enough who voted down a 2nd ref or customs union model on Monday to now put either of these through though? Majority of Tories will still be against both. 

It will be interesting to see the breakdown of votes for and against tonight.  If it’s whittled down there’s a possibility people will support options they opposed tonight.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Drivel. Are you seriously comparing Scots to the Chagossians? 

My point is that the International Court of Justice ruled in favour of the Chagossians and the UK have brazenly ignored the ruling.

There is nothing that Holyrood could do to compel Westminster to negotiate in a fair and honest manner. Unless the SNP are willing to UDI (they won't) Westminster will set the terms.

Just now, Detournement said:

My point is that the International Court of Justice ruled in favour of the Chagossians and the UK have brazenly ignored the ruling.

There is nothing that Holyrood could do to compel Westminster to negotiate in a fair and honest manner. Unless the SNP are willing to UDI (they won't) Westminster will set the terms.

Utter nonsense. Westminster's only concern will be how much UK debt we'll take in return for whatever assets we take. We'll decide that.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Utter nonsense. Westminster's only concern will be how much UK debt we'll take in return for whatever assets we take. We'll decide that.

Well I think that they will be keen to launch a multi year campaign to reverse the vote but maybe i'm just cynical.

254 Tories and 27 Lab voted against a 2nd Ref (only 8 Tories voted for), so you would need all 27 Lab to change their mind on Monday...ain't going to happen.

On the customs union, 12 Lab against, which, if they changed their minds could gain a small majority but also seems very unlikely.

Only left now with her deal or longer extension,(which would carry a GE) either of which really has to be decided within the next 7 days surely. After all, only two weeks away from 12th April now. Longer extension issue is quite honestly whether the EU would agree to it now, with a 'whats the point?' given that a 2nd Ref isn't going to pass the Commons.

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

We'll just withhold Scotland's oil,whisky,water and energy cards we give them till they get the message.  What's the rUK holding?

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If we have a GE everything will be up for debate again.

If won't be a de facto referendum.

It will.  The Tories have made a right dog's dinner of Brexit and any party, apart from the rump of Ukip, standing on a 'leave' ticket will get roundly pumped.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

7AAC4A8C-618D-4D5F-9967-774094F9CCA0.thumb.jpeg.f34580124a27d095656c959e5b427bc8.jpeg

A bit depressing that 27 Labour MPs defied the party whip on a second referendum but if push comes to shove I think more than eight Tories might support it next time around.

More than 27, there were 18 Labstentions on that motion.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

254 Tories and 27 Lab voted against a 2nd Ref (only 8 Tories voted for), so you would need all 27 Lab to change their mind on Monday...ain't going to happen.

On the customs union, 12 Lab against, which, if they changed their minds could gain a small majority but also seems very unlikely.

Only left now with her deal or longer extension,(which would carry a GE) either of which really has to be decided within the next 7 days surely. After all, only two weeks away from 12th April now. Longer extension issue is quite honestly whether the EU would agree to it now, with a 'whats the point?' given that a 2nd Ref isn't going to pass the Commons.

The EU will do almost anything to avoid a no deal which would be a complete disaster for Europe as well as the UK. They'll keep extending if there's gonna be a GE or something to avoid no deal.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Is there a precedent for this? 

The precedent would be set if a second Brexit referendum is called and that's why Wishart has warned against this.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

You would only need 14 to change heir minds.  I think a few more Tories might vote for it.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It will.  The Tories have made a right dog's dinner of Brexit and any party, apart from the rump of Ukip, standing on a 'leave' ticket will get roundly pumped.

Both main parties will be standing on leave tickets. Who will pump them?

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The EU will do almost anything to avoid a no deal which would be a complete disaster for Europe as well as the UK. 

Nonsense. No-one in the EU27 cares if it's s no-deal conclusion.

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
Punctuation