Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm half hoping Corbyn and May do a deal just to destroy Farage's new toy, assuming the Euro elections would be cancelled.

Like you the thought appealed to me, but apparently not...

Lidington confirms European elections definitely going ahead

The Press Association has just snapped this.

European parliament elections will go ahead in the UK on May 23, after the government determined that there is not enough time left to complete the ratification of Brexit before that date, Cabinet Office minister David Lidington has said.

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Like you the thought appealed to me, but apparently not...

I think the idea is to put it through before the new European Parliament starts up in July, so the newly elected MEP's won't take up their seats. No more gravy train for Nigel.

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think the idea is to put it through before the new European Parliament starts up in July, so the newly elected MEP's won't take up their seats. No more gravy train for Nigel.

July 2nd is the new deadline date, to remove the need for British MEPs to take up their seats but I doubt that'll mean Nigel will be needing to apply for Universal Basic Income. The Euro Elections this month must be his wet dream!

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, btb said:

July 2nd is the new deadline date, to remove the need for British MEPs to take up their seats but I doubt that'll mean Nigel will be needing to apply for Universal Basic Income.

And what's the next deadline to be after that one has passed?

And the next.

And the next.

ETA: Not sure if this has already been posted.

May-Kicks-Can-3.gif

Edited by Suspect Device

July 2nd is the new deadline date, to remove the need for British MEPs to take up their seats but I doubt that'll mean Nigel will be needing to apply for Universal Basic Income. The Euro Elections this month must be his wet dream!

With a massive Farage contingent heading to Europe... Macron et al will want shot of England asap.

I reckon May would not be too upset if she was forced out of office.  It might be the least undignified option for her.  

Brexit, or its withdrawal/extended delay, is going to be a clusterfuck for whoever is PM at the time and might take some of the sting out of her abject failure.

”I wanted to stay on and deliver Brexit but I wasn’t given the chance...”

I reckon May would not be too upset if she was forced out of office.  It might be the least undignified option for her.  
Brexit, or its withdrawal/extended delay, is going to be a clusterfuck for whoever is PM at the time and might take some of the sting out of her abject failure.
”I wanted to stay on and deliver Brexit but I wasn’t given the chance...”

We shouldn't lose sight of the bigger prize here, the blood-spattered implosion of The Conservative & Unionist Party.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We shouldn't lose sight of the bigger prize here, the blood-spattered implosion of The Conservative & Unionist Party.

Absolutely.

Even the most delusional and arrogant Tory MP must realise that Brexit is a poisoned chalice.

It won’t stop them from going for the top job but anyone becoming PM will face exactly the same problems that May is facing.

Ironically this is because the majority of Tory MPs are not as rabid on the issue as their constituency members.

A Hard Brexiteer becoming the PM will force the divisions to the surface.  Let carnage ensue.

With the EU elections approaching of received this useless leaflet today.  I have only just read it and will not be vote for this monstrosity of a party.
Has anyone else received Brexit party leaflets yet?

20190508_232034_Richtone(HDR).thumb.jpg.88ba630181a5b71adf260f5f0daf12de.jpg
I genuinely think there's a good chance of this party doing well longer term.

No one up until now has ever really played the Facebook/Daily Express demographic as powerfully as this before. They are the easiest set of morons to manipulate and the one set of people who will come out. A few emotive words with the name of their party and then a nice big arrow on the ballot paper.

This election is the launch vehicle for them and it has genuinely been done very effectively. After this, they will retain the name and campaign in future elections arguing that we need to Brexit from a customs union or whatever and build it up as a betrayal. It's just such a simple concept for the uneducated to cling to and hold their attention.

Excellent two part documentary on BBC 4 last night now on iPlayer.

Brext:Behind Closed Doors showed the negotiations from the EU side. Brought into sharp focus the utter shambles of the UK approach to the talks. Really has to be seen to be believed

Good Newsnight piece this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBLnXQcaR

Now a rather incoherent rant on the piece:

I'm in total agreement with Diane Coyle and others, and I've banged on about it in this subforum before. The driving issue behind the Brexit vote wasn't racism or Little Englanders, the issue was decades worth of neglect |(some deliberate and some not) by successive governments and all three main political parties.  It's the same core reasons as why Trump was elected, and just pointing at a vocal - yet sizeable - minority and saying "racists, you're all racists!" (even if it is justified) misses the key point. A large portion of the mainstream media (mostly in the written press) has failed to hold governments to account over scandalous policy failures. Even if the scaling down of employment in UK industry and manufacturing was inevitable, the failure was in not replacing these jobs or helping rebuild communities that were impacted. Wage growth was been dreadful since the 1970s, and most of the "lifestyle improvements" are from cheap credit.

The whole economic and political model of the UK is geared towards London and the SE - it brings in massive amounts of tax from the financial sector, and it's a self-reinforcing cycle of prioritising that area because of what it brings in.  The Labour party are marketing themselves as some alternative yet their flagship policies appear to be re-nationalisation. Who cares? Re-nationalising the railways is fundamentally aimed at people in that London/SE area. Go ask people in the rest of the UK what they see as priorities and a tiny minority might have the railways in their top five.

The majority of arguments we hear about immigration are all based in the failures of successive governments. Low wages, lack of decent jobs, and stretched public services are all down to failures at Westminster.