Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Heres a cracking idea then, split the country in 2, us remainers can have the north, say Scotland down to Manchester. The idiots can have the south.

The UK government has a lot of experience in the partition thing.  Usually ends up as a right mess.

Just now, Detournement said:

I'm not sure if you can count people who only voted SNP in 2015 as SNP stay at home.

Given the increase in the Tory vote in the central belt and the number of near miss Labour gains from SNP it would only have taken a small proportion of the new Tories to switch to Labour to cost the SNP roughly ten seats. The BBC hailing the Tory council election results without acknowledging that they only stood one candidate in most seats compared to two for Labour and the SNP gave unionist voters a false impression of the strength of the Tories in the central belt.

In the North East there was a big direct switch from the SNP to the Tories.

That didn't happen in the Central belt, there was very little direct switching and the Labour vote barely moved upwards. It was largely a listless and demotivated campaign from the SNP that depressed their vote.

Now consider the following:

1. Campaigning on Independence, or at least on the mandate to hold an Indy Ref is likely to motivate the SNP base to get out the vote.

2. Recent opinion polling has shown an increase of agreement in holding an IndyRef soon, let alone showing that a majority would vote Yes. 

3. The Remain/Leave faultline will prevent some tactical voting across party lines, reducing the efficiency of that tactic.

4. The Unionist party narratives are hopelessly compromised:

a) Ruth Davidson has campaigned loudly on the back of not allowing a hard Brexit, and would have to defend the proroguing of parliament, which is unlikely to go down well.

b) Richard Leonard's own Unionist credentials are undermined by his own party leader and his de facto 2nd in command's apparent relaxation about allowing Scotland a 2nd go at an Indy Ref.

In those circumstances, form a purely tactical point of view I don't see why the SNP shouldn't be going balls to the wall on Indy.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This is what really grips my shit. If events played out that the Gammon/racist tendency were pissed off, I have absolutely no doubt there would be proper burning cars and looting type rioting across England. In the opposite situation, we'll have a couple of rallies and marches. Our biggest enemy is not Johnson, but resignation.

Agreed. The loony tendency  are mostly amongst the leavers.  (MP killers?)   The whole point ,IMO, is that the remain side mostly contains the calm, sensible and more knowledgable element, who will not engage in street violence. There may be other ways in which they could fvck up the system as a protest but I think we (remainers AND leavers) are fvcked unless a VONC succeeds.  The future looks bleak with twats like Mogg, Johnson, Pattel (...oh what's the point of listing them all) ,   in charge and assisted by the likes of Banks, Farage, etc. 

The UK is doomed. Man the lifeboats.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

In the North East there was a big direct switch from the SNP to the Tories.

That didn't happen in the Central belt, there was very little direct switching and the Labour vote barely moved upwards. It was largely a listless and demotivated campaign from the SNP that depressed their vote.

I think there was likely some Labour to Tory and SNP to Labour in the central belt. The 2015 vote looks an aberration which won't be repeated. The SNP baseline comes from 2011 900k 2016 1M 2017 978k.

Everything you argue there is true but the SNP's actions over past couple of years suggests they are more interested in keeping their councils and control at Holyrood than going balls out for independence. Talk of a second referendum seems to motivate No voters more than Yes. It's not even just people who are staunch unionists, a lot of people really hated the experience of the referendum.

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

Agreed. The loony tendency  are mostly amongst the leavers.  (MP killers?)   The whole point ,IMO, is that the remain side mostly contains the calm, sensible and more knowledgable element, who will not engage in street violence.

Even France the protesters are violent at the weekend then go back to work Mon-Fri.

Street protests are nothing unless there is the threat of a general strike.

It's amazing that on a day like this, H_B 😂 still comes across as Britain's biggest minter.

I've always been more of a gradualist but now I tend to agree that the SNP strategy should now be that they've done their best to take all logical steps towards avoiding Brexit but now it is time to detach ourselves from the rest of this basket case of a union and follow our own path.

Ruth to resign?  Aye right.

If she can separate her role as leader in Scottish Parliament and leader of Scottish Tories can see her resigning as leader of Scottish Tories. 

If she can't I doubt she'll resign.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Is the country really so polarised ?

Are 50% of the population HARDCORE BREXITEERS and the other 50% HARDCORE REMAINERS ?

Does the entire population have a "black or white" view on this ??

Reading the mainstream media and even many of the posts on here that's what one would be led to believe, however I'm not so sure myself.

I reckon there's probably more than half the population couldn't really give a stuff one way or the other and there's surely a large percentage who might have a preference however they're not "dyed in the wool" and certainly not willing to die for their cause.

As such, I'd take all the sensationalism with a rather large pinch of salt.........

IMO: Before the 2016 referendum, a lot of people had no real opinion on the EU - it was like the price of tea in China.

However the whole thing was whipped up by politicians and newspapers to such a point that anyone who still did not have an opinion was regarded as an idiot.

Some people voted in the referendum even though they were not that bothered either way.
Others saw it as an opportunity to protest about something, anything, does it matter.
The low-key campaign by the Labour Party did not help.

Since then, Brexit has dominated politics for the last three years.
Apart from Novichok in Salisbury, it has eclipsed every other discussion in parliament.
It is unlikely anyone would admit that they still have no real opinion on the matter.

The likes of Mogg and Banks et al want brexit because proposed  EU legislation would eventually cause them to have to pay tax in the UK on the money they make through their 'businesses' which are headquartered in 'tax free' regions and cloaked in secrecy.

This is really what brexit is all about. 

A snap opinion poll shows a majority of Tory voters support Johnson’s prorogation.  

Despite all the talk about ‘Marxist’ Jeremy Corbyn, the real extremists in the UK are those who vote Conservative.

Fcuking posh Tory Bullingdon Club, bumbling dangerous cnut. Just fcuk off you w****r.

That feels better. Not my most erudite contribution, but pretty much on the money IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird